Jared Kirby (fencing)
Jared Kirby is a classical and historical fencing instructor who earned the rank of Master of Arms (Maestro d'Armi) through the Martinez Academy of Arms and continues to study fencing under Maestro Ramon Martinez in New York City, who is one of the last fencing masters to teach fencing as a martial art. Jared also teaches Combat for Stage & Screen and is a certified fight director and university instructor with the Art of Combat.
Jared Kirby first became involved in Western Martial Arts and Combat for Stage & Screen in 1995. Beginning his studies of historical fencing in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Mr. Kirby moved to Scotland in order to study with Maestro Paul Macdonald. He then moved to New York in 1999 to study at the Martinez Academy. In December 2003 he earned his first instructor ranks and continued until becoming Provost of Arms in November 2013 and a Master of Arms in November 2016.
Kirby is the editor and one of the translators of "Italian Rapier Combat", the first complete, professional translation of Ridolfo Capo Ferro. He is also the editor and wrote the introduction for "The School of Fencing" by Domenico Angelo and annotated by Maestro Jeannette Acosta-Martínez. His third book "A Gentleman's Guide to Duelling" is a republication of Vincentio Saviolo's 2nd book "Of Honor and Honourable Quarrels" updated to modern British English. It also includes the most comprehensive biography of Saviolo written to date.
As a fight director he has worked on many shows in New York City, Regionally, in London and Australia. Jared has worked with stars such as Peter Sarsgaard, Steve Guttenberg and has trained actors/stunt performers who are working on hit shows like Orange is the New Black, The Walking Dead, Gotham, Person of Interest, The Vampire Diaries, The Blacklist and in films such as The Nice Guys, Captain America: Civil War, The Hunger Games, Furious 7, and Insurgent.
Jared has an ongoing Combat for Stage & Screen class in New York City and teaches at the prestigious Tom Todoroff Conservatory as well as the NY Conservatory for Dramatic Arts. He is currently an Artist in Residence with Hudson Warehouse and the fight director for York Shakespeare Company in New York City.
He teaches a variety of workshops across the US and around the world including Canada, England, Scotland, Finland, Italy and Australia. He has taught at the Paddy Crean International Art of the Sword Workshop, CombatCon in Las Vegas, the Art of Combat NYC Intensive, the International Sword fighting and Martial Arts Convention (ISMAC), Rapier Camp and the Western Washington WMA Workshop amongst many others.
- "Instructors: Martinez Academy of Arms". Martinez-destreza.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Art of Combat Resume Page for Jared Kirby". Artofcombat.org. Archived from the original on 2014-03-09. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "The Swordsman's Shop: Books". Martinez-destreza.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- faculty. "Jared Kirby". Purchase.edu. Archived from the original on 2012-08-08. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Leonia Rec Dept Classes". Jared Kirby. Archived from the original on 2014-03-09. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Combat for Stage & Screen classes by Jared Kirby in New York City". Artofcombat.org. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "The Paddy Crean Stage Combat Conference". Paddycrean.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Where History and Fantasy Meet". Combat Con. Archived from the original on 2014-02-13. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Art of Combat Workshops". Artofcombat.org. Archived from the original on 2013-05-12. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "International Swordfighting and Martial Arts Convention". Theismac.org. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- Jared Kirby (ed.), Italian Rapier Combat - Ridolfo Capo Ferro, Greenhill Books, London (2004), ISBN 1853675806.
- Domenico Angelo, The School of Fencing: With a General Explanation of the Principal Attitudes and Positions Peculiar to the Art, eds. Jared Kirby, Greenhill Books (2005), ISBN 978-1853676260.
- Jared Kirby (ed.), A Gentleman's Guide to Duelling: Of Honour and Honourable Quarrels, Frontline Books (2014), ISBN 978-1848325272.