Jared Kirby (fencing)
Jared Kirby is a classical and historical fencing instructor who earned the rank of Provost of Arms through the Martinez Academy of Arms. He studies fencing under Maestro Ramon Martinez in New York City, who is one of the last fencing masters to teach fencing as a martial art. Jared also teaches Combat for Stage & Screen and is a certified fight director and university instructor with the Art of Combat.
Kirby is the editor and one of the translators of “Italian Rapier Combat”, the first complete, professional translation of Ridolfo Capo Ferro. He is also the editor and wrote the introduction for “The School of Fencing” by Domenico Angelo and annotated by Maestro Jeannette Acosta-Martínez. His third book "A Gentleman's Guide to Duelling" is a republication of Vincentio Saviolo's 2nd book "Of Honor and Honourable Quarrels" updated to modern British English. It also includes the most comprehensive biography of Saviolo written to date.
He teaches fencing and personal defense at SUNY Purchase, Sarah Lawrence College and at the Leonia Rec Dept. He has an ongoing Combat for Stage & Screen class in New York City and teaches a variety of workshops across the US and around the world including Canada, England, Scotland, Finland, Italy and Australia. He has taught at the Paddy Crean International Art of the Sword Workshop, CombatCon in Las Vegas, the Art of Combat NYC Intensive, the International Swordfighting and Martial Arts Convention (ISMAC), Rapier Camp and the Western Washington WMA Workshop amongst many others.
As a fight director he has worked on many shows in New York City, Regionally, in London and Australia. He is currently an Artist in Residence with Hudson Warehouse and the fight director for York Shakespeare Company in New York City.
His Fight Directing/Stunt Coordinating credits (up to 2012) include:
Company at the Lucille Lortel Theatre - NYC directed by David Leidholdt
Macbeth on Theatre Row - NYC directed by Seth Duerr
Richard II on Theatre Row - NYC directed by Seth Duerr
True West by York Shakespeare - NYC directed by Seth Duerr
Cyrano by Hudson Warehouse- NYC directed by Nicholas Martin-Smith
Romeo & Juliet by Hudson Warehouse- NYC directed by Nicholas Martin-Smith
Hamlet by Hudson Warehouse- NYC directed by Nicholas Martin-Smith
Richard III by Hudson Warehouse- NYC directed by Nicholas Martin-Smith
Merry Wives of Windsor by Hudson Warehouse- NYC directed by Eric Nightengale
Comedy of Errors by Hudson Warehouse- NYC directed by Susane Lee
The Rover by Hudson Warehouse- NYC directed by Jesse Michael Mothershed
The Taming of the Shrew by Hudson Warehouse- NYC directed by Jesse Michael Mothershed
Midsummer Night's Dream by Hudson Warehouse - NYC directed by Richard Harden
Hamlet by Folding Chair Classical Theatre-NYC directed by Marcus Geduld
Titus Andronicus by Folding Chair Classical Theatre-NYC directed by Marcus Geduld
When Words Fail at Access Theatre - NYC
Let's Fight About It! at Access Theatre - NYC
Combat Therapy at Access Theatre - NYC
Aggressive Negotiations at The Players Theatre - NYC
Lou's 24/7 by Creative Acting Company - NYC directed by Eric Jones
Guys & Dolls at Access Theatre - NYC directed by Arthur Brown
Life is a Dream by A Festival of Fools - NYC directed by Amanda Thompson
Dogboy & Justine by Treble Entendre - NYC directed by Abigail Unger
Bard Wars (Macbeth/Macduff fight) at Curious Frog Theatre - NYC compiled by Angela Sharp
Hamlet by New Vic Theatre of London directed by Alan Cohen
Dracula by New Vic Theatre of London directed by Alan Cohen
Hunchback of Notre Dame by New Vic Theatre of London directed by Mickey O'Donoughue
Canterbury Tales by New Vic Theatre of London directed by Mickey O'Donoughue
Cabaret at SUNY Purchase DTL directed by Jesse Penber
Spring Awakening at SUNY Purchase Sub C directed by Dena Kopolovich
A Dating Story for TLC by Banyan Productions
Bible Stories: The Apostles by A&E directed by Danna Sterling
The Vigilante by Jabr-Haffner Productions directed by Jules Hamilton
Kevin Keating: Vampire Hunter directed by Jovanni Ibarra
Run Rabbit Run directed by Lucas Francy
The Otherworld by Gisela Productions directed by Gisela Pereira
Bad Apple by Dichotomy Productions directed by Eric Jones
Androcles and the Lion at Pax Amicus Theatre directed by Stan Barber
Romeo & Juliet at Castle Shakespeare(2003-2006) directed by Stan Barber
Hamlet at Castle Shakespeare(2003-2006)directed by Stan Barber
Julius Caesar for Red Monkey Theatre directed by Tal Aviezer
- "Instructors: Martinez Academy of Arms". Martinez-destreza.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Art of Combat Resume Page for Jared Kirby". Artofcombat.org. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "The Swordsman's Shop: Books". Martinez-destreza.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- faculty. "Jared Kirby". Purchase.edu. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Leonia Rec Dept Classes". Jared Kirby. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Combat for Stage & Screen classes by Jared Kirby in New York City". Artofcombat.org. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "The Paddy Crean Stage Combat Conference". Paddycrean.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Where History and Fantasy Meet". Combat Con. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Art of Combat Workshops". Artofcombat.org. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "International Swordfighting and Martial Arts Convention". Theismac.org. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- Jared Kirby (ed.), Italian Rapier Combat - Ridolfo Capo Ferro, Greenhill Books, London (2004), ISBN 1853675806.
- Domenico Angelo, The School of Fencing: With a General Explanation of the Principal Attitudes and Positions Peculiar to the Art, eds. Jared Kirby, Greenhill Books (2005), ISBN 978-1853676260.
- Jared Kirby (ed.), A Gentleman's Guide to Duelling: Of Honour and Honourable Quarrels, Frontline Books (2014), ISBN 978-1848325272.