Jared M. Spool
|Born||December 8, 1960|
|Occupation||Writer, researcher, speaker, founder|
|Employer||User Interface Engineering|
|Known for||User Interface Engineering, User Interface Conference, Brainsparks, Spoolcast|
Jared Spool is an American writer, researcher, speaker, educator, and an expert on the subjects of usability, software, design, and research. He is the founding principal of User Interface Engineering, a research, training, and consulting firm that specializes in website and product usability. He is also an amateur magician. Spool attended Niskayuna High School in Niskayuna, NY.
Spool has been working in the field of usability and design since 1978, before the term usability was ever associated with computers.
Achievements and awards
Spool has delivered the keynote presentations for The National Association of Government Webmasters, The National Association of Online Librarians, Higher Ed Webmasters, Agile 2009, South by Southwest Interactive, Web Advertising, Web Visions, the Usability Professionals Association, CHI (conference), the Information Architecture Summit, UX Australia, UX Lisbon, UX London, Drupal Con 2011, An Event Apart, Designing for People Amsterdam, UPA China, the Norwegian Computer Society, the British Computer Society, the Society for Technical Communication, and the Federal Webmasters Society.
In 2011, the Stevens Award was given to Spool, "whose quiet evangelism of usability and the practical outcomes of methods and tools had a wide-ranging influence on how we think about making systems effective."
Spool spends time working with research teams, consults with organizations so they can better understand how to solve their design problems, and works with reporters and industry analysts on the state of design. In addition to being a speaker at more than 20 conferences every year, Spool presents almost weekly for various groups.
The Center Centre
With the help of a successful Kickstarter campaign, in 2014, Jared co-founded the Center Centre, "a new, bricks-and-mortar user experience design school for adults," with Dr. Leslie Jensen-Inman.
- Spool, Jared M. & Robert Hoekman, Jr. Web Anatomy: Interaction Design Frameworks that Work (ISBN 0-3216-3502-7).
- Spool, Jared M., Rosalee J. Wolfe & Daniel M. McCracken. User-Centered Web Site Development: A Human-Computer Interaction Approach (ISBN 0-1304-1161-2).
- Spool, Jared M., Carolyn Snyder, Tara Scanlon & Terri DeAngelo. Web Site Usability: A Designer's Guide (ISBN 0-6139-1572-0).
- Jeffrey Rubin & Dana Chisnell, Spool, Jared M. (Forward), Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests (ISBN 0470185481).
- 1993. "User involvement in the design process: why, when & how?" INTERCHI 1993: 251-254
- 1994. "ProductUsability: survival techniques." CHI Conference Companion 1994: 365-366
- 1994. "Using a game to teach a design process." CHI Conference Companion 1994: 117-118
- 1995. "CHI 95 Conference Companion" 1995: 395-396
- 1995. "User Interface Engineering: fostering creative product development." CHI 95 Conference Companion 1995: 166-167
- 1997. "Product Usability: Survival Techniques." CHI Extended Abstracts 1997: 154-155
- 1997. "Measuring Website Usability." CHI Extended Abstracts 1997: 125
- 2002. "Usability in practice: alternatives to formative evaluations-evolution and revolution." CHI Extended Abstracts 2002: 891-897
- 2002. "Usability in practice: formative usability evaluations - evolution and revolution." CHI Extended Abstracts 2002: 885-890
- 2003. " Evaluating globally: how to conduct international or intercultural usability research." CHI Extended Abstracts 2003: 704-705
- 2003. "The "magic number 5": is it enough for web testing?" CHI Extended Abstracts 2003: 698-699
- 2005. "The great debate: can usability scale up?" CHI Extended Abstracts 2005: 1174-1175
- 2007. "Get real!": what's wrong with hci prototyping and how can we fix it? CHI Extended Abstracts 2007: 1913-1916
- Ward, Mark. "The long and winding road of e-commerce", BBC News, November 18, 2011. Retrieved December 7, 2011.
- User Interface Engineering. Retrieved December 5, 2011.
- "From Our Mailbag", "Niskayuna Warrior", June 1979. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- UX London Speakers - Jared Spool. Retrieved December 7, 2011
- Stevens Award Recipients Archived 2009-03-07 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved December 7, 2011.
- UX London Speakers - Jared Spool. Retrieved December 7, 2011.
- Lanyrd Profile for Jared M. Spool. Retrieved December 8, 2011.
- Speakers - UX Lisbon 2010. Retrieved December 8, 2011.
- Editorial Board - Rosenfeld Media. Retrieved December 6, 2011.
- Unicorn Institute: Courses to shape the future of UX design. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- Center Centre. Retrieved June 9, 2014.