Staal with the Hurricanes in 2013
August 21, 1990|
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||210 lb (95 kg; 15 st 0 lb)|
49th overall, 2008|
Jared John Staal (born August 21, 1990) is a Canadian former professional ice hockey player who last played for the Edinburgh Capitals of the Elite Ice Hockey League (EIHL). Staal was previously a member of the Carolina Hurricanes of the National Hockey League (NHL). He is the younger brother of Eric Staal of the Minnesota Wild, Marc Staal of the New York Rangers, and Jordan Staal of the Carolina Hurricanes. He is also the cousin of Jeff Heerema, formerly of the Nottingham Panthers.
Jared grew up in his hometown of Thunder Bay, Ontario playing 'AAA' hockey for the Thunder Bay Kings. He was drafted in the first round of the 2006 Ontario Hockey League (OHL) Priority Selection Draft by the Sudbury Wolves (11th overall).
Staal played the 2007–08 season with the Wolves. He was selected by the Phoenix Coyotes in the second-round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, 49th overall. He is the only member of the Staal brothers not to be taken in the first round of the NHL Entry Draft and the only one not to have been drafted by an Eastern Conference team. He is the only right shooter of all four brothers.
On April 3, 2009, Staal signed an amateur tryout contract with the San Antonio Rampage, the AHL affiliate of the Coyotes. He appeared in five games for the Rampage in 2009, however he was sent back to the Sudbury Wolves for the remainder of the season.
On May 13, 2010, the Carolina Hurricanes acquired his rights from the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick. On May 14, 2010 the Hurricanes signed him to a three-year entry-level contract. To start the 2010–11 season, Jared was assigned to the Hurricanes AHL affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers of the AHL. Struggling to gain ice time after 12 games, on November 19, 2010, Jared was reassigned to their ECHL affiliate, the Florida Everblades, but was later recalled. For the 2011–12 season, Staal returned to the Charlotte Checkers. On March 12, 2012, the Hurricanes loaned him to the Boston Bruins' affiliate Providence Bruins of the AHL for the remainder of the 2011–12 season.
After scoring 3 goals and 4 assists in 52 games with Charlotte in 2012–13, he made his NHL debut with the Hurricanes on April 25, 2013 against the New York Rangers. He was in the Hurricanes' starting line-up for the game, starting on a forward line with brothers Eric and Jordan.
After five seasons within the Hurricanes organization, Staal was released as a free agent in the summer. With limited NHL or AHL interest, Staal signed a one-year deal with the Florida Everblades of the ECHL on October 7, 2015. Prior to the 2015–16 season, he was traded by the Everblades to the South Carolina Stingrays on October 15, 2015.
|2005–06||Thunder Bay Kings||HNO||64||24||25||49||72||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||5||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||5||0||1||1||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||South Carolina Stingrays||ECHL||64||12||12||24||23||6||1||0||1||2|
- YOUNGEST STAAL BROTHER SURVIVES LATEST 'CANES ROSTER CUTS
- Staal aboard as Jared finds NHL fast track Archived 2012-11-09 at the Wayback Machine
- "Jared Staal signs AHL contract with San Antonio Rampage". April 3, 2009.
- Coyotes release Jared Staal
- "Canes Acquire Jared Staal from Phoenix Coyotes". Carolina Hurricanes. 2010-05-14. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- Coyotes trade prospect Jared Staal to Hurricanes for 5th-round pick in 2010 draft
- "Blades get forward Staal assigned from Charlotte". Florida Everblades. 2010-11-19. Archived from the original on 2010-11-23. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- Checkers Swap Forwards with ECHL Affiliate
- "Hutton maintains hot glove". The Chronicle-Journal. March 12, 2012. Archived from the original on July 29, 2012. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- Alexander, C. (April 25, 2013). "Jared Staal joins brothers on the Canes". newsobserver.com. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- "Rangers 4, Hurricanes 3". Yahoo!. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- Brooks, L. (April 26, 2013). "Rangers forward Clowe injures right leg". New York Post. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- "Jared Staal added to Stingrays roster". South Carolina Stingrays. 2015-10-15. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- "EX-CAROLINA HURRICANE FORWARD JARED STAAL SIGNS UP FOR SEASON 2016-17". Edinburgh Capitals. Retrieved 2016-07-04.
- "STAAL ADDED TO OHA EDMONTON COACHING STAFF". okanaganhockey. June 12, 2018. Retrieved June 15, 2018.