17 October 1984 |
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||58 kg (128 lb)|
|Event(s)||20 km Race Walk, 50 km Race Walk|
Jared Tallent OAM (born 17 October 1984) is an Australian race walker, and Olympic gold medallist  in the 50 km walk from London in 2012. He is a three-time Olympic medallist and three-time World Championship medallist.
Tallent was born on 17 October 1984 in Ballarat, Victoria. He is one of six children and his parents own a potato farm near Ballarat. Tallent attended Dean Primary School and Ballarat High School.  His younger sister Rachel Tallent is also an international race walker.  He married race walker Claire Woods in Walkerville, South Australia in August 2008.  In 2016, he lives in Adelaide. 
Tallent finished third in the 20 km walk at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing to claim his first Olympic medal. He received a silver medal for finishing second in the 50 km walk a week later, becoming the first Australian to win two athletic medals in the same Olympics since 1972 and the first male Australian to do so in 102 years. In the 20 km walk and 50 km walk at the 2009 World Championships in Athletics, he finished in sixth and seventh position respectively. Tallent returned to the medal dais in 2010 when claiming a bronze medal in the 50 km Walk at the 24th World Race Walking Cup held in Chihuahua, Mexico. Later on that year Tallent took home gold in the 20 km walk at the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games.
He opened his 2011 season with a win at the Australian 20 km walk championships, while his wife Claire Tallent secured the women's title. At the 2011 IAAF World Athletics Championships, he won the bronze medal in the Men's 50 km walk.
At the 2012 London Olympics, Tallent finished 7th in the 20 km walk. A week later he won the gold medal in the 50 km walk in a personal best time and Olympic Record of 3:36:53. Although initially awarded the silver medal, on 24 March 2016, the Court of Arbitration for Sport disqualified the results of original winner, Sergey Kirdyapkin, for the period from 20 August 2009 to 15 October 2012.  Tallent received his gold medal for the 2012 Olympics on June 17, 2016 in a special ceremony.
Tallent won the bronze medal in the Men's 50 km walk at the 2013 IAAF World Athletics Championships in Moscow, Russia. It was his second world championships medal. In 2015, Tallent won his third World Championships medal with silver in the 50 km walk at the 2015 IAAF World Championships in Beijing, China. At the 2016 IAAF World Race Walking Cup in Rome, Italy, talent won the silver medal behind Alex Schwazer, 2008 Olympic gold medallist who had just returned from a four year doping ban.
2016 Gold Medal Presentation
Tallent originally finished second in the 50km walk at the 2012 London Olympics. In March 2016, Court of Arbitration for Sport stripped London gold medallist Sergey Kirdyapkin of all his results for the period of 20 August 2009 to 15 October 2012 for doping.  Tallent was then awarded the gold medal. On 17 June 2016, 1460 days after his London 50km race, Tallent was presented his gold medal on steps of the Victorian Parliament and this Ceremony followed International Olympic Committee protocol with Australian Olympic Committee President John Coates presenting him the gold medal, Athletics Australia President Mark Arbib presenting a bunch of flowers and the national anthem being played whilst the Australian flag was raised.  Tallent made the following comments when interviewed during the Ceremony:
- 2009 and 2010 - Athletics Australia "Out of Stadium" athlete award
- 2012 - Australian Flame Athlete of The Year
- 2016 - Order of Australia 
- "IAAF: IAAF statement concerning CAS decisions: six Russian athletes| News | iaaf.org". iaaf.org. Retrieved 2016-03-24.
- "Jared Tallent". Australian Olympic Committee website. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Gullan, Scott (22 August 2008). "Jared Tallent and Claire Wood to wed in Walkerville". The Australian. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Aussie Tallent wins silver in 50km walk
- "Jared Tallent and Luke Adams do it tough in 50km Walk". foxsports.com.au. Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- "News". athletics.com.au. Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- Golden 20km walk for Jared Tallent
- Johnson, Len (2011-02-19). Tallents open 2011 with Australian 20Km titles in Hobart -IAAF Race Walking Challenge. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-02-20.
- "Men's 50km Race Walk". 2012 Summer Olympics official website. International Olympic Committee. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- Press, Australian Associated (17 June 2016). "Jared Tallent finally awarded his 2012 Olympic gold medal in Melbourne". theguardian.com. Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- "Report: 50km race walk – IAAF World Race Walking Team Championships Rome 2016". IAAF website. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "MOSCOW2013: Tallent wins BRONZE". Athletics Australia News. 14 August 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Colasimone, Dan (17 June 2016). "Jared Tallent finally gets his gold medal for London Olympics 50k walk". ABC News. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Jared Tallent International and National Performances". Athletics Australia Historical Results. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- "Athletics Australia Statement from Phil Jones and Jared Tallent". Athletics Australia News, 24 March 2016. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "2016 South Australian Queen’s Birthday honours". The Advertiser. 13 June 2016. Retrieved 19 June 2016.