Jari Ecological Station
|Jari Ecological Station|
Protected areas of northern Pará state
9. Jari Ecological Station
|Nearest city||Munguba, Pará|
|Area||227,126 hectares (561,240 acres)|
|Created||12 April 1982|
The ecological station was created by decrees of 12 April 1982 and 13 March 1984, and has an area of 231,079 hectares (571,010 acres). It lies in the Amazon rainforest biome. It is administered by the Chico Mendes Institute for Biodiversity Conservation. It lies in the municipalities of Almeirim, Pará, and Mazagão, Amapá. Altitude varies from 80 to 400 metres (260 to 1,310 ft). The Jari River drains the eastern part and the Paru River drains the south west part. In north west the main watercourse is the Carecuru River.
Temperature ranges from 18 to 29 °C (64 to 84 °F). The vegetation is mainly land forest. Emergent trees reach 60 metres (200 ft). The protected unit is in excellent condition. There are traces of two old mines, which caused some changes to the landscape. Small numbers of people have settled along the Jarí River, which flows through the unit, built houses and cleared fields. The climate is hot and humid, with high annual rainfall. Flora and fauna are typical of tropical rainforest.
As of 2009 the Ecological Station was a "strict nature reserve" under IUCN protected area category Ia. The purpose is to preserve the ecosystem and to support research and environmental education. The conservation unit is supported by the Amazon Region Protected Areas Program. Illegal gold prospecting occurs in the areas around the unit and pose the greatest threat through water pollution and hunting of local fauna, particularly mammals.
- EE do Jari (in Portuguese), WWF-Brasil Protected Areas Observatory, retrieved 2016-03-10
- Estação Ecológica do Jari (in Portuguese), Chico Mendes Institute for Biodiversity Conservation, retrieved 2016-04-23
- Figueiredo, João (13 March 1984), "DECRETO Nº 89.440, DE 13 DE MARÇO DE 1984", Brazilian Federal Senate (in Portuguese), Brazilian Government, retrieved 10 March 2016
- Full list: PAs supported by ARPA, ARPA, retrieved 2016-08-07
- Unidade de Conservação: Estação Ecológica do Jari (in Portuguese), MMA: Ministério do Meio Ambiente, retrieved 2016-04-23