March 13, 1946 |
|Residence||Prague, Czech Republic|
|Institutions||Charles University, Prague|
|Alma mater||Charles University, Prague|
|Doctoral advisor||Aleš Pultr|
|Doctoral students||Jan Kratochvíl
|Notable awards||Silver medal of Union of Czechoslovak Mathematicians and Physicists (1977), State Prize of Czechoslovakia (jointly with V. Rödl) (1985), Doctor Honoris Causa of the University of Alaska (2002), Doctor Honoris Causa of the University of Bordeaux 1 (2009), Medal of Merit of Czech Republic (2010), Gold medal of Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University (2011), elected to Academia Europaea (2012), honorary member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (since 2013).|
Jaroslav Nešetřil (Czech pronunciation: [ˈjaroslaf ˈnɛʃɛtr̝̊ɪl]; born March 13, 1946 in Brno) is a Czech mathematician, working at Charles University in Prague. His research areas include combinatorics (structural combinatorics, Ramsey theory), graph theory (coloring problems, sparse structures), algebra (representation of structures, categories, homomorphisms), posets (diagram and dimension problems), computer science (complexity, NP-completeness).
Education and career
Nešetřil received his Ph.D. from Charles University in 1973. He is responsible for more than 300 publications. He has an Erdős number of 1. Since 2006, he is chairman of the Committee of Mathematics of Czech Republic (the Czech partner of IMU).
Jaroslav Nešetřil is Editor in Chief of Computer Science Review and INTEGERS: the Electronic Journal of Combinatorial Number Theory. He is also honorary editor of Electronic Journal of Graph Theory and Applications. Since 2008, Jaroslav Nešetřil belongs to the Advisory Board of the Academia Sinica.
Awards and honors
He was awarded the state prize (1985 jointly with Vojtěch Rödl) for a collection of papers in Ramsey theory. The book Sparsity - Graphs, Structures, and Algorithms he co-authored with Patrice Ossona de Mendez was included in ACM Computing Reviews list of Notable Books and Articles of 2012.
Nešetřil is a corresponding member of the German Academy of Sciences since 1996 and has been declared Doctor Honoris Causa of the University of Alaska (Fairbanks) in 2002. He has also been declared Doctor Honoris Causa of the University of Bordeaux 1 in 2009; the speech he made in French at this occasion attracted a great deal of attention. He received in 2010 the Medal of Merit of Czech Republic and the Gold medal of Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University in 2011. In 2012, he has been elected to the Academia Europaea. Also, he has been elected honorary member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences in 2013.
He was an invited speaker of the European Congress of Mathematics, in Amsterdam, 2008, and invited speaker (by both the Logic and Foundations and Combinatorics sections) at the Combinatorics session of the International Congress of Mathematicians, in Hyderabad, 2010.
- Hell, Pavol; Nešetřil, Jaroslav (2004). Graphs and Homomorphisms (Oxford Lecture Series in Mathematics and Its Applications). Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-852817-5.
- Matoušek, Jiří; Nešetřil, Jaroslav (1998). Invitation to Discrete Mathematics. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-850207-9.
- Matoušek, Jiří; Nešetřil, Jaroslav; Mielke, H. (translator) (2002). Diskrete Mathematik: Eine Entdeckungsreise (in German). Springer. ISBN 3-540-42386-9.
- Matoušek, Jiří; Nešetřil, Jaroslav (2006). Introduction aux mathématiques discrètes (in French). Springer. ISBN 228720010X.
- Nešetřil, Jaroslav; Ossona de Mendez, Patrice (2012). Sparsity - Graphs, Structures, and Algorithms (Algorithms and Combinatorics, Vol. 28). Springer. ISBN 978-3-642-27874-7.
- Nešetřil, Jaroslav; Rödl, Vojtěch (1991). Mathematics of Ramsey Theory (Algorithms and Combinatorics, Vol. 5). Springer. ISBN 0-387-18191-1.
- Jaroslav Nešetřil at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Editorial Board, Computer Science Review, Elsevier. Accessed January 29, 2011
- Editorial Board, INTEGERS: the Electronic Journal of Combinatorial Number Theory. Accessed January 29, 2011
- Editorial Team, Electronic Journal of Graph Theory and Applications. Accessed June 14, 2013
- Advisory Board, Academia Sinica. Accessed January 29, 2011
- ACM Computing Reviews - Notable Computing Books and Articles of 2012, ACM Computing Reviews website. Accessed June 29, 2013
- "Échos de Talence", Sud Ouest. 2009, September 11th
- List of the recipients of the Medal of Merit, Prague Castle Website. Accessed January 29, 2011
- Jaroslav Nešetřil's page on Academia Europaea, Academia Europaea website. Accessed November 12, 2012
- New members of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Website of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. Accessed May 11, 2013
- Program, ECM 2008. Accessed January 29, 2011
- Invited Speakers for ICM2010, ICM 2010 Website. Accessed January 29, 2011