Jarrett J. Krosoczka
Jarrett J. Krosoczka
|Born||December 22, 1977|
Worcester, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Occupation||Picture book author and illustrator|
Krosoczka was raised entirely by his maternal grandparents, Joseph and Shirley Krosoczka, who took legal custody of him when he was three because of his mother's drug addiction. He saw his mother only sporadically throughout his childhood, and didn't learn the truth about her addiction until he was in the fourth grade. The "J" in his professional name is in tribute to his late grandfather. He also established the Joseph and Shirley Krosoczka Memorial Youth Scholarships at the Worcester Art Museum in tribute to his grandparents. The scholarships provide tuition to underprivileged children who are in unique familial situations.
Krosoczka later went on to graduate from Rhode Island School of Design, and received his first book contract six months after graduation. (He had been submitting for two years at that point.) His first book, Good Night, Monkey Boy, was published on June 12, 2001 by Random House.
In 2003, Krosoczka was chosen by Print as one of their 20 Top New Visual Artists Under 30. A Universal Studios movie based on Krosoczka's Lunch Lady series will feature Amy Poehler in the lead role.
Hey, Kiddo is a finalist in the 2018 National Book Award for Young People's Literature.
- Good Night, Monkey Boy, 2001, Random House
- Baghead, 2002, Random House
- Bubble Bath Pirates!, 2003, Viking
- Annie Was Warned, 2003, Random House
- Max for President, 2004, Random House
- Punk Farm, 2005, Random House (through Knopf Books for Young Readers)
- Giddy Up, Cowgirl, 2006, Penguin Putnam
- My Buddy, Slug, 2006, Random House
- Punk Farm on Tour, 2007, Random House
- Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute (Lunch Lady, #1), 2009, Knopf Books for Young Readers
- Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians (Lunch Lady, #2), 2009, Knopf Books for Young Readers
- Lunch Lady and the Author Visit Vendetta (Lunch Lady, #3), 2009, Knopf Books for Young Readers
- Lunch Lady and the Summer Camp Shakedown (Lunch Lady, #4), 2010, Knopf Books for Young Readers
- Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit (Lunch Lady, #5), 2010, Knopf Books for Young Readers
- Lunch Lady and the Field Trip Fiasco (Lunch Lady, #6), 2011, Knopf Books for Young Readers
- Lunch Lady and the Mutant Mathletes (Lunch Lady, #7), 2012, Knopf Books for Young Readers
- Lunch Lady and the Picture Day Peril (Lunch Lady, #8), 2012, Knopf Books for Young Readers
- Lunch Lady and the Video Game Villain (Lunch Lady, #9), 2013, Knopf Books for Young Readers
- Lunch Lady and the Schoolwide Scuffle (Lunch Lady, #10), 2014, Knopf Books for Young Readers
- Star Wars Jedi Academy: A New Class, 2016, Scholastic (continuing Jeffrey Brown's Star Wars Jedi Academy series, with brand new characters)
- Star Wars Jedi Academy: The Force Oversleeps, 2017, Scholastic
- Star Wars Jedi Academy: The Principal Strikes Back, 2018, Scholastic
- Hey, Kiddo, 2018, Graphix, ISBN 978-0545902472
- "Fresh Air for Oct. 16, 2018: 'Hey, Kiddo' Author Jarrett J. Krosoczka". NPR.org. Retrieved 2018-10-21.
- Maniaci, Mike (August 28, 2006). "Jarrett Krosoczka". The Career Cookbook.
- Pfarrer, Steve (February 5, 2012). "Mass. children's writer flourishes after setbacks". Daily Hampshire Gazette. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- "The 2018 National Book Award finalists are in. Here's the full list". Vox. Retrieved 2018-10-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jarrett J. Krosoczka.|
- Studio JJK
- An interview with Jarrett J. Krosoczka
- Jarrett J. Krosoczka interviewed on NPR's "Here and Now"
- Book by Book, The Making of Monkey Man, a humorous video made by Krosoczka
- Jarrett J. Krosoczka at TED