Varnado in 2009
|No. 14 – Piratas de Quebradillas|
|Position||Power forward / Center|
|League||Baloncesto Superior Nacional|
March 1, 1988 |
|Listed height||6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)|
|Listed weight||230 lb (104 kg)|
|High school||Haywood (Brownsville, Tennessee)|
|College||Mississippi State (2006–2010)|
|NBA draft||2010 / Round: 2 / Pick: 41st overall|
|Selected by the Miami Heat|
|2010–2011||Carmatic Pistoia (Italy)|
|2011–2012||Hapoel Jerusalem (Israel)|
|2012||Pallacanestro Virtus Roma (Italy)|
|2012||Sioux Falls Skyforce (D-League)|
|2013||→Sioux Falls Skyforce (D-League)|
|2013–2014||Iowa Energy (D-League)|
|2014–2015||Los Angeles D-Fenders (D-League)|
|2015–present||Piratas de Quebradillas (Puerto Rico)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Varnado is known as a defensive specialist and is especially adept at shot blocking aided by his 7'4" wingspan. He led the NCAA in blocks for the 2007–08 season with 157 blocks which tied Shaquille O'Neal for the most blocks in a season in the SEC. In the 2008–09 season, he would break that single season record with 170 blocks. Varnado was named SEC Defensive Player of the Year in 3 consecutive years (2008, 2009 and 2010) becoming the first person to ever do so.
On November 21, 2009, Varnado became the SEC's all-time career block record holder with 413 total blocks in his career. This passed O'Neal's career block record of 412. On January 23, 2010, Varnado surpassed Adonal Foyle on the NCAA's Division I all-time career blocks list to become the second-leading shot-blocker. Needing 8 blocks for the record, Varnado became the NCAA's Division I all-time shot blocker against Alabama on February 24, 2010 passing Wojciech Myrda's record of 535 career blocks.
Varnado was drafted by the Miami Heat with the 41st pick in the 2010 NBA draft. However, he signed to play with Carmatic Pistoia, a second-division team in the Italian league, with the Heat maintaining team rights to him. Varnado played 33 games with Pistoia and averaged 15.4 points, 8.9 rebounds, and 3.1 blocks per game.
Varnado participated in minicamps with the Heat during summer 2011. On August 12, 2011, he signed a contract with Hapoel Jerusalem B.C. of Israeli Basketball Super League. After playing 12 games for the club in all competitions, on January 24, 2012, Varnado left the team. The following week, Varnado signed with Pallacanestro Virtus Roma of the Italian Lega Basket Serie A.
On September 7, 2012, Varnado was signed by the Heat for summer workout. He was waived on October 26, 2012. After being waived by the Heat, Varnado joined the Sioux Falls Skyforce of the NBA D-League. Varnado was named NBDL player of the week for the first week of the 2012–13 season.
On December 24, 2012, Varnado was signed by the Boston Celtics. On January 6, 2013, he was waived by the Celtics. On January 9, 2013, he accepted a 10-day contract with the Miami Heat, the same team that drafted him in 2010. He was signed to a second 10-day contract on January 20, 2013, and was signed for the rest of the season on January 30. The Heat sent him to the Sioux Falls Skyforce for assignments in March and April 2013. Varnado won his first NBA championship with the Heat when they defeated the San Antonio Spurs 4-3 in the 2013 NBA Finals.
On October 21, 2013, Varnado was waived by the Heat.
On October 31, 2013, he was re-acquired by the Sioux Falls Skyforce. The next day, he was traded to the Iowa Energy. On February 3, 2014, Varnado was named to the Prospects All-Star roster for the 2014 NBA D-League All-Star Game.
On February 18, 2014, Varnado signed a 10-day contract with the Chicago Bulls. On February 28, 2014, the Bulls decided not to sign Varnado to a second 10-day contract.
On March 1, 2014, Varnado signed a 10-day contract with the Philadelphia 76ers. On March 12, 2014, he signed with the 76ers for the rest of the season. On March 29, 2014, he recorded a career high 9 points and 6 blocks in a 123-98 win over the Detroit Pistons. On October 7, 2014, he was waived by the 76ers.
With his D-League rights being held by the Iowa Energy, Varnado was traded by the Energy to the Los Angeles D-Fenders on December 30, 2014 and immediately signed. On April 20, 2015, he left the D-Fenders to sign with Piratas de Quebradillas from Puerto Rico.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- List of NCAA Division I men's basketball career blocks leaders
- List of NCAA Division I men's basketball season blocks leaders
- Jarvis Varnado Recruiting Profile
- Mississippi St. 67, Bethune-Cookman 51
- Mississippi State outlasts Crimson Tide; Varnado sets NCAA shot-blocking record
- Spotted on the Pine: Jarvis Varnado
- Winderman, Ira (August 16, 2010). "Heat second-round pick Jarvis Varnado to play in Italy". Sun-Sentinel.com. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- "Giorgio Tesi Group Pistoia basketball team – Stats". Eurobasket.com. Retrieved July 28, 2012.
- Winderman, Ira (June 27, 2011). "Heat minicamp includes unknowns, Eddy Curry". Sun-Sentinel.com. Retrieved July 28, 2012.
- Jarvis Varnado alla Virtus Roma
- HEAT Waive Carney and Varnado
- Boston Celtics Sign Sioux Falls Skyforce Center Jarvis Varnado For Year's Sixth NBA Call-Up
- Celtics Sign Jarvis Varnado
- Celtics Waive Joseph and Varnado
- HEAT SIGNS JARVIS VARNADO
- Sioux Falls' Jarvis Varnado Signs with the Miami Heat
- HEAT Sign Jarvis Varnado (1/20/13)
- HEAT Signs Jarvis Varnado
- 2012-13 NBA Assignments
- "HEAT Waive Varnado, Drew and Westbrook". NBA.com. October 21, 2013. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- Skyforce Announces Initial 2013-14 Training Camp Invitees
- Skyforce Acquires Draft Picks From Energy
- Eighth Annual NBA D-League All-Star Game Features 16 Players With NBA Experience
- BULLS SIGN VARNADO TO 10-DAY CONTRACT
- Sixers Sign Forward Jarvis Varnado to 10-Day Contract
- Sixers Sign Jarvis Varnado
- Notebook: Sixers 123, Pistons 98
- Sixers Sign Two Players
- D-Fenders Acquire Jarvis Varnado
- Jarvis Varnado signs with Piratas de Quebradillas
- Career statistics and player information from NBA.com, or Basketball-Reference.com
- Mississippi State bio