|Jasná Low Tatras|
Part of Jasná ski resort
|Location||Jasná, Demänovská Dolina,
|Nearest city||Liptovský Mikuláš
12 km (7 mi)
|Vertical||1,081 m (3,547 ft)|
|Top elevation||2,024 m (6,640 ft)|
|Base elevation||943 m (3,094 ft)|
|Runs||49 km (30 mi)
- 28% beginner
- 51% intermediate
- 21% advanced
|Lift system||30 total
|Lift capacity||32,484 / hr|
|Snowmaking||over 30 km (19 mi)|
The Jasná area resorts have a total of more than 40 lifts on all sides of the Chopok Mountain. The resort Jasná Low Tatras, is said to be the largest ski area in Slovakia, with eightchair lifts and four cable cars. It has 49 km (30 mi) of piste, back bowl, a 6 km (3.7 mi) home-run, a brand new revamped terrain park, a great deal of off-piste (12 freeride zones), night skiing, and lots of tree runs. Jasná-Chopok is also a large resort with 41 trails covering 49 skiable kilometers of trails.
The slopes are graded as 28% beginner, 51% intermediate, and 21% advanced. Many mountain activities are available in the valley and nearby area.
Nearby are entrances to the Demänovská Cave of Liberty (Demänovská jaskyňa Slobody) and Demänovská Ice Cave (Demänovská ľadová jaskyňa).
Liptovský Mikuláš is the tourist town at the base of Jasná which serves the mountain. There are lots of hotels and restaurants, including a UK-owned guesthouse with full equipment hire and suggestions for the region.
2022 Winter Olympic Hopeful
Being about 95 miles (153 km) from Kraków, and having the right climate for world-class skiing, Jasná/Chopok joined in Kraków's bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics as the alpine skiing venue. If chosen, it would have been the first time that an Olympic Games would be held in multiple countries at the same time. However, in May 2014 Kraków abandoned their bid after it was rejected by the general population in a referendum.
- Moran, Chris (17 January 2009). "Is Slovakia skiing's new frontier?". The Guardian/The Observer.
- Houston Chronicle - Off the beaten ski trail but still first class - 2009-01-01
- Whittaker, Michael. "Jasna".
- Stroud, Clover (7 December 2009). "Affordable skiing: cheap thrills in Slovakia". The Telegraph.
- "Jasná Low Tatras". Gotatry Slovakia. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- chaletslovakia.com - accessed 2012-01-13
- Associated Press (7 November 2013). "Poland, Slovakia announce joint bid for 2022 Winter Olympics". Sports Illustrated.
- Associated Press (18 April 2014). "Krakow's deputy mayor to lead Winter Games bid". New Zealand Herald.
Media related to Jasná Ski Resort at Wikimedia Commons
- jasna.sk - resort website - (English)
- Skiing and crosscountry at Jasná on DiscoverLiptov.com