This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jason M. Barnard
5 June 1966
Leeds, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Liverpool John Moores University|
|Occupation||SEM / SEO / ORM Consultant|
|Television||Boowa & Kwala (2007)|
Jason M. Barnard is a Search engine marketing consultant, musician, cartoon-maker, and voice actor. A consultant, he also plays double bass with Barcoustic. Previously, with his wife Véronique, he created and voiced the cartoon characters Boowa & Kwala who were highly successful online and later starred in their own 52-episode TV series directed by Xavier Picard and produced by ITV International. He also played double bass and sang with The Barking Dogs, playing over 600 concerts throughout Europe between 1989 and 1996.
Early life, family and education
Barnard grew up in a small village near the Yorkshire market town of Otley. His father is a retired university lecturer and his mother, Kate Westbrook, an artist and jazz singer. His sisters, Josie and Clio are a writer and a film director respectively.
He graduated from Liverpool Polytechnic (now Liverpool John Moores University), with a Second Class B.A. (Hons), in Economics and Statistical analysis. During his time in Liverpool, he was lead singer for the Liverpool blues band Stanley The Counting Horse. In 1988, he moved to Paris to pursue his musical career.
The Barking Dogs
Barnard joined the Barking Dogs in 1989 as Double Bassist. Between 1989 and 1996, when the group disbanded, he played well over 600 gigs in France, England, Ireland, Spain, Belgium, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Slovakia and Italy, plus over 3000 busking pitches in Paris, Milan, Zurich and Berlin.
Barnard played double bass, sang and composed songs for all the commercially released albums (see summary above)
In summer 1998, with his wife Véronique, Barnard created Boowa & Kwala. Initially a music CD for children, the characters came alive in a story book (narrated by Sir Tony Robinson in English and Jean Claude Dreyfus in French). The book is now out of print, but available online.
In December 1998, boowakwala.com was launched in French and in English with several games, a song, and an advent calendar.... the couple became Internet Pioneers. Between 1998 and 2008, the Barnards went on to create over 600 educational interactive games and wrote and performed over 100 songs for (and as) Boowa & Kwala. At their peak, the characters' site attracted over 5 million visits from preschool children every month.
Boowa and Kwala TV series
In 2007, a 52-episode TV series directed by Xavier Picard and produced by PMMP, UpToTen, ITV International and Guilli was released in French and English and screened in France, Canada (TVO), Poland, USA, New Zealand.
Each episode contains a song, written by Barnard, released as a 53-title music album. All 52 episodes are available online.
Barnard co-wrote the scripts, and provided the voices for the characters Boowa, Dawa, Mawa, Daddy Koala and Grandpa Koala in both French and English. Veronique Barnard provided the voice for Kwala.
In 2014, Barnard formed Barcoustic with ex-Barking Dogs singer Hugo Scott. Currently with over 20 gigs to their name, the duo will be touring France, Switzerland and Germany in 2016.
SEO, SEA, SEM and Kalicup
Barnard is recognised as a leading expert on SEO. In 2015, he was awarded a Black Belt by Searchmetrics, and has spoken at conferences. Expert in SEA, he is also Google Certified.
- "Jason Barnard". IMBD. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "Boowa & Kwala". Worldscreen. 2 January 2008. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- Merrick, Scott (25 September 2007). "Happy Fall, Happy Fingers". The "Technology for Learning" Lab.
- Poillerat, Denis (15 September 2015). "Babelweb : Boowa et Kwala s'occupent de vos enfants". Le Monde Informatique. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "Boowa & Kwala". Worthington Public Library. 15 March 2016.
- "Boowa & Kwala". PorchLight Entertainment.
- Jonet, Nathaniel (10 October 2008). "Movie Review: Boowa & Kwala". Blogger News. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- Moody, Annemarie (30 April 2008). "Boowa & Kwala To Make Their U.S. Debut on DVD". Animation World Network. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "SEMRush interview - Rankbrain".
- "Searchmetrics Black Belt certification".
- "SEOcampus Paris 2017" (in French).
- "SEOcampus Lorraine 2016" (in French).
- "SEOcampus Lyon 2017" (in French).
- "Google Adwords certification".
- "Kalicube.pro - About Us".
- "Searchmetrics - White Paper".
- "Semrush columnist".