Jason Carter (fiddler)
Jason Carter at Delfest 2015
|Born||February 1, 1973|
|Associated acts||Del McCoury Band|
The Travelin' McCourys
Jason Carter was born in Ashland, Kentucky on February 1, 1973.
At the age of 8 he started playing guitar. He picked up the mandolin a few years later. He started playing fiddle at age 16 after hearing Del McCoury for the first time. Following high school graduation in 1991, he joined The Goins Brothers, who he played with for six-months. During his time with the Goins Brothers, at a show in Nashville, Tennessee with Del McCoury, Carter approached McCoury and asked him for a job in his band. After a brief-tour that served as his audition, Carter was hired. He has been with the Del McCoury Band ever since. He has played with the Travelin' McCourys since their formation in 2009.
Over the years Carter has recorded with and performed with a number of musicians including Leftover Salmon, Yonder Mountain String Band, Dierks Bentley, Mac Wiseman, John Prine, The Osborne Brothers, June Carter, Marty Stuart, Lonesome River Band, Ricky Skaggs, Patty Loveless, Vince Gill, Ralph Stanley, Gibson Brothers (bluegrass duo), Sierra Hull, Sam Bush, Tony Rice, Jerry Douglas, and Bela Fleck.
In addition to his work with the Del McCoury Band, Carter has released one solo album, 1997's On The Move.
- Sunkel, Phil. "Del McCoury Band's Jason Carter Interview". Hype-Mag. Retrieved 6 February 2018.
- Williams, Portia. "Carter added to Country Music Highway". Portsmouth Daily Times. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- BGS Staff. "Here is your full 2015 IBMA Award winners list". Bluegrass Situation. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "Jason Carter On the Move". Allmusic. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "On The Move". Rounder Records. Retrieved 6 February 2018.