Croker playing with Catalans in 2007
10 March 1973 |
Crookwell, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||180 cm (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||100 kg (15 st 10 lb)|
|Position||Second-row, Lock, Centre, Five-eighth, Wing|
|Source: Rugby League Project|
Jason Croker (born 10 March 1973 in Crookwell, New South Wales) is an Australian former professional rugby league footballer of the 1990s, and 2000s. An Australian international and New South Wales State of Origin representative utility player, he previously played club football in the NRL for the Canberra Raiders, with whom he won the 1994 Winfield Cup and set club records for both highest total games and tries. Croker saw out his career with French Super League club Catalans Dragons.
Croker was named the Canberra Raiders' rookie of the year in 1991 and he went on to play somewhat of a utility position over his long career, filling into many spots throughout his team. His 120 tries for Canberra is a club record and in 2000 he was named the Raiders' player of the year. He also gained selection in Australia's 2000 World Cup winning squad.
In 2006 Croker played his 300th game for the Raiders, becoming the first to achieve this honour for the Raiders.
Croker signed a two-year deal to play for French team Catalans Dragons from 2007, which, after two successful campaigns, was extended by a further year in 2008. Croker's experience was of increasing value to the fledgling French side, and his physical fitness and hunger for the game are admired by many. He is regarded fondly by many Dragons fans for an audacious drop-goal scored in a 29–22 win over Bradford at Odsal in March 2007.
Return to Australia
- Country: Played two games for Country
- State Of Origin: Played 5 games in total for New South Wales
- International: Played 4 tests for Australia in the 2000 World Cup
- "SportingPulse Homepage for Australian Secondary Schools Rugby League". SportingPulse. Retrieved 2008-10-10.
- "Catalans sign Raiders star Croker". BBC. 2006-08-10. Retrieved 2008-02-24.
- Laybourn, Ian (2010). "MENZIES NOT BOTHERED BY OLD MAN TAG". sportinglife.com. 365 Media Group Ltd. Retrieved 2010-02-03.