Jason David Frank
|Jason David Frank|
Frank at the 2013 Wizard World
New York Experience in Manhattan
|Born||September 4, 1973 (age 45)|
Covina, California, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||215 lb (98 kg; 15.4 st)|
|Style||Toso Kune Do|
|Fighting out of||Houston, Texas|
|Rank||8th Dan Black Belt in Shotokan Karate|
Black Belt in Wado-ryu Karate
Black Belt in Taekwondo
Black Belt in Judo
Purple Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Ajarn Degree in Muay Thai
|Years active||2010 (MMA)|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
last updated on: April 28, 2010
Jason David Frank (born September 4, 1973) is an American actor, professional mixed martial artist, and former professional wrestler. He is most notable for his career as Tommy Oliver from the Power Rangers Franchise.
- 1 Career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Filmography
- 4 Mixed martial arts record
- 5 Accomplishments and awards
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Frank originally auditioned for the role of Jason Lee Scott, the Red Ranger, but lost the role to Austin St. John. He auditioned again in 1993, and was cast in the role of Tommy Oliver, the Green Ranger.
Frank was supposed to be the lead character Adam Steele in VR Troopers (originally called "Cybertron") and shot a pilot episode before being called back to Power Rangers. According to both Frank and Brad Hawkins, Hawkins' character was to replace Tommy Oliver originally as the White Ranger on Power Rangers. However, due to Tommy Oliver's popularity with Ranger fans, Frank was brought back, with Tommy Oliver becoming the White Ranger. Hawkins would take over on VR Troopers. The character Adam Steele was renamed Ryan Steele.
After three seasons, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers transitioned into Power Rangers Zeo. The transition is part of the annual Ranger suit change to match the annual change of the Super Sentai series. Frank's character became the Red Zeo Ranger (also called Zeo Ranger V). The following year in Power Rangers Turbo, his character became the first Red Turbo Ranger. During mid-season, Frank and fellow cast members Johnny Yong Bosch, Nakia Burrise and Catherine Sutherland agreed to leave and were replaced.
After he left the series in 1997, Frank came back to Power Rangers as the Red Zeo Ranger in 2002 for the special 10th anniversary episode, entitled "Forever Red", in Power Rangers Wild Force, which brought back ten former Red Rangers, and reunited him with Austin St. John. He then reprised his role in 2004 in Power Rangers Dino Thunder, as the Black Dino Ranger. During his time as the Black Dino Ranger, Frank was always shown in long-sleeved shirts to cover his tattoos on his arms. This was also the case during "Forever Red" of ‘’Wild Force’’. Being the Black Dino Ranger was a favor to Douglas Sloan. He has joked that Saban and Disney are "both the same, they're cheap" but that he was impressed with the production crew for Dino Thunder. Frank reprised his role as Tommy Oliver (who in turn was the Green Ranger for the episode) in the season finale of Power Rangers Super Megaforce.
On November 13, 2013, "Bat in the Sun" released an episode of "Super Power Beatdown" and featured Frank as the White Ranger against Mortal Kombat's Scorpion. On May 5, 2015, Frank again appeared on "Super Power Beatdown" as the Green Ranger and defeated Ryu from Street Fighter.
After success with the "Super Power Beatdown" series, Bat in the Sun began developing a web reality series of Frank titled, "My Morphing Life". As of 2015, the show began airing season 2.
Frank was given a cameo role in the 2017 film Power Rangers, as a citizen of Angel Grove, along side fellow Power Rangers actress, Amy Jo Johnson. In 2018 he reprised his role as Tommy in episode 10 of Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel for the 25th anniversary of Power Rangers.
Fighting and martial arts
|Country of origin||United States|
|Creator||Jason David Frank|
|Parenthood||Karate (Shotokan, Wado-ryu), Judo, Taekwondo, Muay Thai, Wing Chun, Aikido, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
With his knowledge of many different styles of martial arts that include Shotokan, Wado-ryu, Taekwondo, Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Wing Chun, and Aikido, Frank collected the most practical applications, modified them with his own philosophies and created his own blend of American Karate, "Toso Kune Do".[unreliable source?] On June 28, 2003, he was inducted into the World Karate Union Hall of Fame.[unreliable source?] Frank appeared at the Arnold Classic on February 29, 2008, in Columbus, Ohio.
Mixed martial arts
On August 21, 2009, Frank officially announced his signing with SuckerPunch Entertainment,[unreliable source?] a sports marketing and management company specializing in MMA. He began training with UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard. Frank made his much anticipated MMA debut for the United States Amateur Combat Association at the company's first event "Lonestar Beatdown: Houston" on January 30 at the Houston Arena Theatre. He defeated Jonathon "the Mack Truck" Mack in the first round by omoplata submission.[unreliable source?] Frank fought in his second fight at Lonestar Beatdown: Dallas on February 19 in Arlington, Texas. His opponent was Chris Rose who made his ring entrance wearing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles robe. Frank defeated Rose in round 1 by TKO (strikes). On May 8, 2010, he fought for the Texas Rage in the Cage Amateur Association "Cage Rage 7" in State Farm Arena in Hidalgo, Texas. His opponent was James Willis. Frank defeated Willis via KO in 23 seconds of the first round with a rising knee.
Frank was scheduled to make his debut with Ultimate Warrior Challenge at their upcoming event on May 22 against James "Ray" Handy Jr. in a light heavyweight bout. On May 21, Frank had announced on his official Facebook fan page that James Handy was injured and Carlos Horn would replace him, changing the fight to a heavyweight bout. Frank defeated Horn in the first round by an armbar submission. Since turning pro, Frank has expressed interest in signing a deal with Strikeforce and potentially fighting Herschel Walker.
Frank announced on his Facebook fan page that he would be scheduled to make his professional debut on August 4, 2010 in Houston at "Puro Combate #1." He fought at heavyweight, with his opponent being Jose Roberto Vasquez. Frank won his pro MMA debut quickly at the time of 0:46 in the first round by a Rear Naked Choke Submission. Frank was scheduled for a Light Heavyweight bout on December 9, 2010 at Puro Combate 3. The fight was canceled on December 8 due to his opponent not being medically cleared.
He was then scheduled to face Shawn Machado on July 22, 2011 at Legacy FC 7. However, due to a possible biceps tear the fight was cancelled.
Frank identifies as a Christian, and says he began attending church with his wife after the death of his brother, Eric. He also had a hand in creating a Christian-based mixed martial arts company named "Jesus Didn't Tap". Frank has the slogan tattooed on his left forearm. Frank was previously married to Shawna, in 1994 with whom he has three children; they have two sons, Jacob and Hunter, and one daughter, Skye, before their divorce in 2001. As of 2003, he is married to Tammie, who is also a martial artist, and the couple has one daughter, Jenna.
|Mighty Morphin Power Rangers||1993-1996||Tommy Oliver - Green/White Ranger
also portrayed Tom Oliver (Green Ranger clone)/The White Stranger (Wild West ancestor)
|Cybertron||1994||Adam Steele - Cybertron||1 Episode (Pilot)|
|Power Rangers Zeo||1996||Tommy Oliver - Zeo Ranger 5-Red||50 Episodes|
|Sweet Valley High||1996||A.J.|
|Power Rangers Turbo||1997||Tommy Oliver - Red Turbo Ranger||19 Episodes|
|Power Rangers Wild Force||2002||Tommy Oliver - Zeo Ranger 5-Red||Credited as Jason Frank|
Episode: "Forever Red"
|Power Rangers Dino Thunder||2004||Dr. Tommy Oliver - Black Dino Ranger||37 Episodes|
|Power Rangers Super Megaforce||2014||Dr. Tommy Oliver - Green/White Ranger||Episode: "Legendary Battle"|
|My Morphing Life||2014–present||Himself||Web series|
|Transformers: Titans Return||2017-2018||Emissary||Web series|
|Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe||2018||Bloodshot||Web series|
|Power Rangers Hyperforce||2018||Dr. Tommy Oliver - Black Dino Ranger
Episodes: "Dr. Tommy Oliver Returns"
"Shattered Grid, part 2"
|Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel||2018||Dr. Tommy Oliver - Green Ranger / Black Dino Ranger/White Ranger/Zeo Ranger 5-Red/Robot Tommy||Episode: "Dimensions in Danger"|
|Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie||1995||Tommy Oliver/The White Power Ranger|
|Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie||1997||Tommy Oliver/The Red Turbo Ranger|
|The Junior Defenders||2007||Tommy Keen|
|Fall Guy: The John Stewart Story||2007||John Stewart|
|The Blue Sun||2010|
|Crammed 2: Hoaching||2011||Christopher Crammed|
|Power Rangers||2017||Angel Grove Citizen||Cameo|
|Making Fun: The Story of Funko||2018||Himself||Documentary|
|Piper||1996||Piper Windsong||Video capture|
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|1 match||1 win||0 losses|
|Win||1–0||Jose Roberto Vasquez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Texas Cage Fighting - Puro Combate 1||August 4, 2010||1||0:46||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Win||1–0||Jonathon Mack||Submission (omoplata)||Lonestar Beatdown: Houston||January 30, 2010||1||1:07||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Win||2–0||Chris Rose||TKO (punches)||Lonestar Beatdown: Dallas||February 19, 2010||1||2:09||Arlington, Texas, United States|
|Win||3–0||James Willis||KO (knee)||Texas Rage In The Cage: Cage Rage 7||May 8, 2010||1||0:23||McAllen, Texas, United States|
|Win||4–0||Carlos Horn||Submission (armbar)||UWC 8: Judgement Day||May 22, 2010||1||0:24||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
Accomplishments and awards
|Present||Eighth Degree Black Belt|
|June 28, 2003||Master of the Year (American Karate)|
|2006||"Ruff Man" Grand Champion|
|2006||Gold Medal (MTIA) Master Toddy's Full contact Muay Thai|
|January 17, 2013||Guinness World Record (Most pine boards broken in freefall)|
Rising Sun Karate accomplishments and awards
|1994||Hall of Fame Award – American Karate Kung Fu Federation|
|2000||Fastest Growing Karate School – Fast Track Award|
|2000||Educational Funding Company – Program Direct Award – Rising Sun Karate Academy|
|2001||Centurion Club Award|
|2003||Master of the Year Award – World Karate Federation|
|2004||Master of the Year for Free-Style Martial Arts – USA Martial Arts|
|2005||Arnold Schwarzenegger Classics Master Appreciation Award.|
|2006||One of America's Top 10 Karate Schools – Awarded by President Nick Cokinos – Educational Funding Company|
|2007||Black Belt Hall of Fame Award – This award was given by Master Alan Goldberg in Atlantic City, New Jersey.|
|2007||Black Belt Hall of Fame – Most Successful Industry Leader. This award was given by Doctor Jim Thomas, 10th Degree Black Belt.|
- Rising Sun Karate School
- "Jason David Frank gets Muay Thai Instructor Certificate in Thailand". Retrieved 2016-05-21.
- "THE POWER RANGERS ZEO NEWSLETTER - THE NEWSLETTER OF THE POWER RANGER CLUB - ISSUE #62 -- MAY 8, 1996 - "MAN, THEY'RE NEVER GONNA BELIEVE THIS ON THE INTERNET!"". Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- CYBERTRON: The Original Pilot for VR Troopers, Starring Jason David Frank!!! Archived October 17, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- ""Power Rangers Q & A at AFO X", 7.51 in". Youtube.com. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- "Q&A At Afo X". Youtube.com. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- "Q&A at AKO X Part 5, 4.02 in". Youtube.com. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- Goldman, Eric (2014-11-17). "Power Rangers Super Megaforce Exclusive Clip: Jason David Frank Returns as Tommy". IGN. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- Fishman, Scott. "Pro wrestling legends, Power Rangers at Florida Supercon in July - Wrestling". MiamiHerald.com. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "Bat in the Sun's Green Ranger Vs. Ryu-the good the bad and the super powered". theinsightfulpanda.com. Retrieved January 7, 2017.
- "Jason David Frank talks My Morphing Life, Power Rangers and more".
- "Former 'Power Rangers' Star Set To Get In The Ring With UFC". Yahoo. 2010-06-22.[permanent dead link]
- "Not a Martial Ats Magazine: SP HAS OFFICIALLY MORPH'D MMA :: SuckerPunch Entertainment". Suckerpunchent.com. 2009-08-21. Archived from the original on 2010-07-11. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "BLOG: 2003 WKU HALL OF FAME JUNE 28, 2003 - Chateau at Camelback Tannersville, Pa". Needmywebsite.com. 2009-01-22. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- "Not a Martial Arts source: SP HAS OFFICIALLY MORPH'D MMA". Suckerpunchent.com. 2009-08-21. Archived from the original on 2010-07-11. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- Hendricks, Maggie (2009-09-02). "Mighty Morphin Power Ranger morphs into an MMA fighter". Sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- Damon Martin, MMAWeekly.com (2009-09-02). "Jason Frank goes from Power Ranger to MMA fighter". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- "IT'S GO GO TIME! :: SuckerPunch Entertainment". Suckerpunchent.com. 2010-01-23. Archived from the original on 2012-09-10. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "POWER RANGER AMATEUR MMA DEBUT SET- MMA WEEKLY - Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more". Mma Weekly. Retrieved 2010-06-02.[permanent dead link]
- "Former Green Power Ranger makes MMA debut at Jan. 30 Lonestar Beatdown". Blogs.chron.com. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- "JDF WINS MMA DEBUT! :: SuckerPunch Entertainment". Suckerpunchent.com. 2010-02-01. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "Legacy Fights". Legacyfightingchampionship.com. 2009-09-17. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "Jason David Frank Lonestar Beatdown Feb 19 2010 - Arlington, TX". YouTube. 2010-02-19. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "Jason David Frank Post Fight Interview - Lonestar Beatdown Dallas - 2/19/10". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "Photo Gallery". Texas Rage in the Cage. 2010-05-08. Archived from the original on 2010-04-13. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "UWC 8 - Judgement Day - May 22, 2010 - GMU Patriot Center - Fairfax, VA". Uwcmma.com. 2010-05-22. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "Jason Frank Victorious - MMA Disputed". Chicagonow.com. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "Jason David Frank turns pro, wants in Strikeforce". mmaweekly. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- "JASON DAVID FRANK - Official Fan Page". Facebook.com. 2010-06-18. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
-  Archived July 22, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Laminack, Barry. "Breaking News: Jason Frank vs Shawn Machado fight off". Thecagedoor.net. Archived from the original on 2012-05-26. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Breathecast.com: Power Ranger's Jason David Frank reveals how Christianity influenced role as Tommy after facing much tragedy". beathecast.com. Retrieved January 7, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jason David Frank.|