|Birth name||Jason James Desiata Dy|
|Born||June 19, 1990|
Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines
|Genres||Pop, R&B, Ballad, Soul, Rock|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, Demo Artist, Haranista|
|Instruments||Vocals, Guitar, Piano|
|Associated acts||Sarah Geronimo |
(The Voice PH coach)
Upon winning the said singing competition, Dy won a recording contract with MCA Music Inc. (Philippines), a Universal Music Group company in 2015. Afterwards, a self-titled studio album was produced and released last September 4, 2015 with the hit singles like 'Caught In That Feeling', 'Milagro', and 'Walang Iwanan'. After the album's huge success, a deluxe version of it was then released last October 2016 featuring songs of his own composition. Referred to as 'The Voice of RnB", Dy continues to leave his mark in the music industry as one of the finest RnB singers.
Early life and education
Jason Dy was born on June 19, 1990 in Cebu City, Philippines but was raised by his parents in Butuan City. In 2003, his parents separated; they were granted an annulment in 2014. Jason lived with his mother until she needed to leave for Singapore to find work. He finished High School at Father Saturnino Urios University.
To support himself, Dy started working as a "haranista". He serenades women in different places of their boyfriends or suitors. He also recorded demo tracks, including the original soundtrack of the 2013 film Bakit Hindi Ka Crush ng Crush Mo?, which was re-recorded by Xian Lim for his XL2 album, as well as "Kontrabida" and "Nasa 'Yo Na Ang Lahat" by Sam Concepcion and Daniel Padilla, respectively. He also uploaded covers on YouTube as a hobby, composing an original song entitled "2 Have U".
2014–present: The Voice of the Philippines
During the second-season auditions for ABS-CBN's The Voice of the Philippines, which aired on November 9, 2014, Dy performed Sam Smith's "Stay with Me". Coaches Sarah Geronimo, Lea Salonga, and Apl.de.ap all pressed their buttons for him, stating that he was able to bring out the emotion of the song through his falsetto skills. Although Bamboo Manalac did not turn for him, Manalac expressed that it "was a great performance". Dy eventually chose Geronimo to coach him, as he believed that she would be able to help him have a place in the music industry.
Dy advanced to the finals after winning against Monique Lualhati during the two-part semi-finals stage live at the Newport Performing Arts Theater in Resorts World Manila. He received both the highest votes given by his coach and the viewers' text votes, totaling 60.10% of the combined votes. He then performed a duet with Charice during the first set of the finals night, singing the song "Wrecking Ball", and later sang "With You" for his solo performance. Both songs received praises from the coaches. Apl.de.ap commented, "Amazing job, you have grown so much in this competition. I've seen you dance, do all kinds of different things. Congratulations with that performance".
Along with Alisah Bonaobra, Dy advanced to the second round on the second night of the finale after garnering one of the two highest votes from the public. Subsequently, he won against Bonaobra, receiving 52.94% of the text votes, not including the votes from the first round. He was proclaimed the winner at the end of the competition, winning 2 million pesos, a house and lot from Camella Homes, and a recording and managing contract with MCA Music, among other prizes. His winning song, "Minsan Lang Kita Iibigin", received praises from his coach, Geronimo, who commented, "That is Jason, that is special about Jason. He is the voice of today, he is a world-class talent, and his voice deserves to be heard all over the world". Coincidentally, both Dy and Geronimo became champions on the same day, March 1.
|The Voice of the Philippines season 2 performances and results|
|Blind Audition||N/A||"Stay with Me"||Sam Smith||November 9, 2014||Three-chair turners|
(Sarah, Lea Salonga, Apl.de.ap)
Joined Team Sarah
|Battle Rounds||N/A||"On Bended Knee" (with Daniel Ombao)||Boyz II Men||December 6, 2014||Won|
|Knockouts||N/A||"Jar of Hearts"||Christina Perri||January 17, 2015||Advanced|
|Live shows||N/A||"Thinking Out Loud"||Ed Sheeran||January 31, 2015||Sarah's choice|
|N/A||"OMG"||Usher||February 7, 2015||Sarah's Choice|
|Dedication to loved one||"Kahit Kailan"||South Border||February 14, 2015||Public votes|
|Semi-finals||Personal stories||"Back at One"||Brian McKnight||February 21, 2015||Highest votes from both public votes and coach's score|
|Duet with co-competitor||"Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now"
(with Monique Lualhati)
|Albert Hammond and Diane Warren||February 22, 2015|
|Finals||Duet with guest artist||"Wrecking Ball" (with Charice)||Miley Cyrus||February 28, 2015||One of the two highest public votes|
|Upbeat songs||"With You"||Chris Brown|
|Dramatic songs||"Angels Brought Me Here"||Guy Sebastian||March 1, 2015|
|Duet with coach||"If I Ain't Got You"||Alicia Keys|
|Final showdown||"Minsan Lang Kitang Iibigin"||Ariel Rivera||Winner|
In May 2017, Dy went on a Malaysian promo tour for his latest single “Nothing Like Cinta Ini” with Malaysian singer Fazura. “Nothing Like Cinta Ini” is the Malaysian version of Dy's single "Nothing Like Pag-Ibig" written by Jungee Marcelo. Dy is currently a regular performer at ABS-CBN's Sunday variety show ASAP. He is a part of the group ASAP Soul Sessions alongside fellow R&B artists, Kyla, Jay R, KZ Tandingan, and Daryl Ong.
|2014||The Voice of the Philippines (season 2)||Contestant||ABS-CBN||Blind Audition|
|Performer||Ang Tinig Natin Special Concert|
|Aquino & Abunda Tonight||Guest|
|Gandang Gabi Vice||Guest|
|2015–Present||ASAP||Himself/Performer||ASAP Soul Sessions|
|2016||Be My Lady||Emerson Francisco|
As a demo artist
- Bakit Hindi Ka Crush ng Crush Mo? OST, 2013 (recorded by Xian Lim)
- "Kontrabida", 2013 (recorded by Sam Concepcion)
- "Nasa 'Yo Na Ang Lahat", 2013 (recorded by Daniel Padilla)
- "Ikaw Na", 2014 (recorded by Jed Madela)
As a lead artist
- All About Me, 2013
- Jason Dy, 2015
- Jason Dy (Deluxe), 2016
- Caught in that Feeling, 2015
- Milagro, 2015
- Walang Iwanan, 2016
- Nothing Like Pag-ibig, 2017
- Nothing Like Cinta Ini with Fazura, 2017
|2016||Myx Music Awards 2016||Favorite New Artist||Himself||Won|
|2017||30th Awit Award||Best R&B Recording||Pano Na Lang||Pending|
- "Jason Dy Bio". ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved 1 March 2015. He studied Hotel, Restaurant and Institution Management in De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde before winning The Voice of the Philippines Season 2.
- Choa, Kane Errol (5 March 2015). "From haranista to 'The Voice of the Philippines'". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- "WATCH: Jason Dy before 'The Voice PH'". The Philippine Star. 2 March 2015. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "The Voice of the Philippines Videos". ABS-CBN Entertainment. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "WATCH: Professional 'haranista' turns 3 chairs on 'Voice PH'". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "Jason to represent Team Sarah in 'Voice PH' finals". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "Jason Dy sings with Charice on 'Voice PH'". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- Smith, Chuck. "Jason Dy wins 'The Voice PH' Season 2". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "Jason Dy wins 'Voice PH'". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- Reyes, Shiela. "Why Sarah became emotional when Jason won". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "WATCH: Daniel vs 'haranista' Jason in 'The Voice PH'". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "BAMBOO AND SARAH COMPLETE THEIR TEAMS IN FINAL "THE VOICE" KNOCKOUT ROUNDS". ABS-CBN PR. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "WATCH: Jason Dy impresses Sarah with 'Thinking Out Loud'". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "'Voice PH' shocker: Jason Fernandez sent home". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "WATCH: Jason Dy hits high notes of 'Kahit Kailan'". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Jason Dy bids for 'Voice PH' crown with Chris Brown hit". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- Pizarro, Shirley M. (May 27, 2017). "Jason Dy and Fazura take Malaysia by storm". Manila Bulletin.
- PH, One Music. "Jason Dy and Fazura's "Nothing Like Pag-ibig" Conquers Malaysia in Recent Promo Tour". One Music PH. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "JayR receives gold record award for "Elevated" - InqPOP!". InqPOP!. 2017-06-07. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "WINNERS OF THE MYX MUSIC AWARDS 2016". myxph.com. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- PH, One Music. "Awit Awards 2017 nominees revealed!". One Music PH. Retrieved 2017-08-17.
| The Voice of the Philippines
| The Voice of the Philippines Regular