Jason Kottke, 2005
|Born||September 27, 1973|
Jason Kottke (born September 27, 1973) is an American blogger and former web designer currently living in Vermont. He designed the Silkscreen typeface and has won a Lifetime Achievement Award as a blogger. As of July 2013[update], his blog is ranked #66 overall and #20 in Science on the Technorati Top 100.
In 1999, Kottke designed the Silkscreen typeface—since used by Adobe, MTV, and Volvo, among others. His design work has been featured in The New Yorker, The New York Times, Forbes, and Brill's Content. Kottke also created the Gawker logo.
Kottke, a pioneering blogger, began his blog in March 1998.
In 2000, Kottke and his then-girlfriend (now wife) Meg Hourihan were profiled in a New Yorker article, "You've Got Blog", which introduced blogging to a wider audience. His contributions to blogging were acknowledged when he won a Bloggie Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003, after five years of blogging. After a year of soliciting payments from readers who enjoyed his blog, he stopped because he had not managed to attract enough readers or developed "a sufficient cult of personality" to support the subscription model.
- "About kottke.org". kottke.org. Retrieved 2016-09-12.
- "Professional blogger throws in the towel". News.zdnet.co.uk. 2006-02-23. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- "Blog Directory / Kottke.org". Technorati. Retrieved 2013-07-01.
- "Jason Kottke :: Resume". Kottke.org. Archived from the original on 2009-02-27. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- "The very first Gawker design". Retrieved 2011-04-26.
- "Jason Kottke, August, 2006 :: Rebecca Blood: Bloggers On Blogging". Rebecca Blood. 1997-01-07. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- Mead, Rebecca (May 29, 2006). "Meg and Jason". The New Yorker. New York. Archived from the original on 2006-06-12. Retrieved March 29, 2012.
- Mead, Rebecca (November 13, 2000). "You've Got Blog: How to put your business, your boyfriend, and your life on-line". Archived from the original on 2001-02-02. Retrieved March 29, 2012.
- "Sony, Ken Jennings, and me". kottke.org. 2004-12-02. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- "The Final Jeopardy of Ken Jennings". kottke.org. 2004-09-09. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- Brian Braiker (2005-03-03). "The Blogosphere's Matt Lauer - The Daily Beast". Newsweek.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.