||This article may contain wording that promotes the subject through exaggeration of unnoteworthy facts. (February 2013)|
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
LATIMER The World Champion of Magic
March 7, 1981
Roseburg, Oregon, United States
|Occupation||Magician, illusionist, artist, inventor, designer|
Jason Latimer (Stage name LATIMER) (born March 7, 1981) is American illusionist who in 2003 became one of four Americans to ever win the title Grand Prix "Best Overall" at the World Championships of Magic. In 2012, Jason starred in the six live British television specials on the BBC One's "The Magicians," and won UK competition overall. Currently Latimer is one of the judges with Penn & Teller and Christen Gerhart of the American magic competition television series Wizard Wars on the Syfy channel.
- 1 BBC One's The Magicians
- 2 SyFy's Wizard Wars
- 3 The World Championships of Magic
- 4 Recognition in the Field of Science
- 5 Television specials and appearances
- 6 Effects and tricks
- 7 References
- 8 External links
BBC One's The Magicians
In 2012, Latimer competed against the Scottish magic duo Barry and Stuart and British comedy magician Pete Firman in all categories of magic on the second season of the British television series "The Magicians." The winner was determined by the British public vote. Over the course of six specials, Latimer was named the season's winner and series champion of season 2 of The Magicians.
SyFy's Wizard Wars
The World Championships of Magic
Jason Latimer is the third American in history to be awarded magic's highest honor of being titled "The Grand Prix World Champion of Magic" in 2003 by the International Federation of Magic Societies (FISM) The two previous American winners of the "Grand Prix" are Lance Burton of the Monte Carlo Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada in 1982 and close up magician Johnny Ace Palmer in 1988. Latimer was awarded multiple "World Championship" titles and FISM awards in categories of close up magic and in the invention & design.
Recognition in the Field of Science
In Oct 2013, Latimer was a speaker of the TEDxWallStreet conference at the NYSE. His talk was entitled, "Seeing Beyond the Illusion of Knowledge" referencing the necessity of wonder in the age of information.
In July 2014, (and currently ongoing), Jason Latimer opened "Perception: See Beyond the Illusion," the first live show with the dome projection OMNIMAX/ IMAX Dome experience at the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center in San Diego, CA. "Perception" was a show designed to unite all sciences (i.e. mathematics, physics, chemistry, psychology, etc.) with illusion to inspire thinking, wonder, and curiosity in a science center.
Latimer has degrees and fields of study in Mathematics, Economics, and Applied Physics with research in multiple fields of Psychology of perception and attention from University of California Santa Barbara.
Television specials and appearances
- Syfy: Wizard Wars Season 1, Episodes 1–6 – Judge
- TEDxWallStreet – 2013 Keynote Speaker
- CBS – The Talk Season 3, Episode 49 – Celebrity Guest and Entertainment
- BBC One – The Magicians Season 2, Ep. 1–6, 2012 – Starring Role
- NBC – The Ellen DeGeneres Show Performance, aired October 31, 2008 – Guest and Entertainment
- CBS – The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson 2004, 2005 – Guest and Entertainment
- Le Plus Grand Cabaret Du Monde – With Patrick Sébastien – Entertainment
- BBC – History of Magic, Close up Magic 2008 – Interview and Documentary
Effects and tricks
Bending Light – (Theatrical name: Laser Fiction) is an illusion, created and performed by Jason Latimer, which gives the appearance that an individual can manipulate a beam of light like a solid object. Laser Fiction, although an illusion, is recognized by the science community for its appearance of interaction with light and touch. In 2009, Latimer's contributions in the illusion of light interaction, engineering and technology earned Jason an invite to be a presenter and performer at The Origins Symposium at Arizona State University amongst such notable scientists as Stephen Hawking and six Nobel Laureates (Baruch Blumberg, Walter Gilbert, Sheldon Glashow, John C. Mather, David Gross and Frank Wilczek)
As performed on the BBC One's TV special "The Magicians, Episode 1," “The Ellen Degeneres Show, Oct 2008," and YouTube Live 2008. Latimer appears to be able to bend light, hang objects on a beam, break the beam and pick up the beam.
Shaping Water – (Theatrical name: Water Misfit) is an illusion, created and performed by Jason Latimer, which gives the appearance that an individual can control water into a shape and then pop it and have it return to water form.
As performed on the BBC One's TV special "The Magicians, Episode 6," Latimer gives the illusion that he is able to shape water into a sphere, flowers, and other shapes and then pop them. The illusion first appeared on UK television February 11, 2012 with Britain's Got Talent Winner George Sampson.
Clear Cups and Balls
Debuted by Jason Latimer in 2003 at International Federation of Magic Societies (FISM), and on television in "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, 2004" This effect won Jason Latimer "World Champion" FISM titles in Close up magic and Invention and Design, as well as the "Grand Prix World Champion of Magic."
Walking on Fountain Jets – (Theatrical name: Fountain Walk) is an illusion, created and performed by Jason Latimer, which gives the appearance that an individual walks on jets of water like steps.
As performed on the BBC One's TV special The Magicians, Episode 3, Latimer gives the illusion that he is able to walk on water and water fountain jets. The effect was debuted at Marble Arch in London, United Kingdom. It first appeared on television January 21, 2012 with former Pussycat Doll and Got to Dance judge Kimberly Wyatt.
Truck to Truck Teleportation
Truck Teleportation – (Theatrically named: Truck to Truck Teleportation) is an illusion, created and performed by Jason Latimer, which teleports audiences members from one moving truck to another moving truck.
As performed on the BBC One's TV special "The Magicians, Episode 6," Latimer gives the illusion of teleporting audience members from one moving truck to another moving truck, while the viewing audience is on a third transport truck. The effect was debuted at Dunsfold Aerodrome in Surrey, United Kingdom. It first appeared on television in February 2012 on the BBC One with Britain's Got Talent Winner George Sampson.
Live Bullet Time Levitation
Perfect Picture Levitation (Matrix Levitation – Live Bullet Time) is performed and created by Jason Latimer, in which an assistant is levitated up into the air and then the entire scene is rotated 360 degrees to give the effect of Bullet Time
As performed on the BBC One's TV special "The Magicians, Episode 3," Latimer levitated former Pussycat Doll and Got to Dance judge Kimberly Wyatt then the entire scene rotates, stage, girl in the air, rotate 360 degrees to give the visual effect of Bullet Time on stage. The effect was debuted on television on the BBC One, January 2012
- "Latimer The World Champion of Magic". Gold Star.
- "Latimer the world champion of magic".
- "Jason Latimer". The Daily Republic. August 26, 2010. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "World Champion of Magic Winners". FISM. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- "Pete Firman: poster-boy for British comedy magic". The Telegraph. February 13, 2012. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- SyFy Channel. "Wizard Wars". www.syfy.com. Syfy Channel. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- The Magicians
- "This Is A Nice Trick". Los Angeles Times. December 8, 2005. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- "Jason Latimer". genii Magazine. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "The Official Website of Latimer The World Champion of Magic". LATIMER FX, Inc. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "Kshitij 2008 Indian Institutes of Technology". Retrieved February 9, 2013.
- Smith, Jessica (April 21, 2009). "Greatest minds discuss origins of universe at ASU". Mesa Legend.
- Swedlund, Eric (April 2, 2009). "Hawking, six Nobel Laureates, to headline ASU symposium". Tech Frontiers Reports.
Hawking's evening lecture will focus on black holes, extra dimensions and the origin of the universe. Renowned magician Jason Latimer will also make a demonstration.
- "Origins Symposium Pinnacle". Liberated Mind. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- "Before the Beginning: Science's Greatest Minds Gather at ASU". Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- TEDx WALLSTREET. "TEDx WALLSTREET Speakers". http://tedxwallstreet.com. TEDx Talks. Retrieved November 4, 2014. External link in
- Fleet, Reuben H. "Reuben H. Fleet Science Center Hosts Jason Latimer, World Champion of Magic". www.rhfleet.org. Fleet Science Center. Retrieved June 12, 2014.
- "There's Science Behind the Magic". New York Times Upfront. April 24, 2006. p. Vol. 138 Issue 13, p6.
- "The Magicians (UK TV Series)". BBC. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- Chambers, Andy D. (September 28, 2012). "Jason Latimer Interview. Magic Redesigned". Putting Performers and Stand-Ups First: PPSF.
- Diana Nollen (January 10, 2010). "Strange Magic: World Champion Brings High-tech Twists to Illusions". Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "The_Gazette" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Media Centre". BBC. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- "The Team". LATIMER FX, Inc. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- "Breaking Down The Impossible". Retrieved February 1, 2013.
- "Magician to Perform at Youth Fundraiser". The Acorn. July 10, 2008. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- List of The Magicians (UK TV series) episodes#Episode 1 2
- "Ed Byrne Faces the Final Forfeit in Last in Series of BBC One's The Magicians". Unreality Primetime TV. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- "Got To Dance's Kimberley Wyatt levitates during BBC's The Magicians". Unreality Primetime TV. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- List of The Magicians (UK TV series) episodes#Episode 3
- "Most Amazing Teleportation in History". Streamica. Retrieved February 4, 2013.