Jason M. Vanderhaden
Jason M. Vanderhaden
Vanderhaden as 13th MCPOCG
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/||United States Coast Guard|
|Years of service||1988–present|
|Rank||Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard|
|Awards||Legion of Merit|
Meritorious Service Medal (2)
Coast Guard Commendation Medal (3) with "O" device
Coast Guard Achievement Medal (4) with "O" device
Jason M. Vanderhaden assumed the duties as the 13th Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard on May 17, 2018. Master Chief Vanderhaden is the senior enlisted member of the U.S. Coast Guard and the principal advisor to the Commandant of the Coast Guard on all enlisted personnel matters. As a matter of protocol, this gives him precedence equal to that of a three-star officer (Vice Admiral.).
Since enlisting in the Coast Guard in 1988, MCPOCG Vanderhaden has served in a number of positions, including:
- Command Master Chief, Deputy Commandant for Mission Support (DCMS), Washington, DC
- Command Master Chief, Pacific Area, Alameda, CA
- Command Master Chief, 13th Coast Guard District, Seattle, WA
- Command Master Chief, Coast Guard Base Honolulu, Honolulu, HI
- Instructor, Chief Petty Officer Academy, Petaluma, CA
- USCGC Reliance, Portsmouth, NH
- Coast Guard Station Ponce De Leon Inlet, New Smyrna Beach, FL
- USCGC Active, Port Angeles, WA
- Air Station Humboldt Bay, McKinleyville, CA
- USCGC CHEYENNE, St. Louis, MO
- Air Station Clearwater, Clearwater, FL
- Coast Guard Loran Station Iwo Jima
- Coast Guard Food Service Specialist "A" School, Petaluma, CA
- Coast Guard Station Jones Beach, Freeport, NY
- Coast Guard Recruit Basic Training, Cape May, NJ
Master Chief Vanderhaden is a graduate of Class 114 of the Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Academy, the National Defense University’s Keystone Command Joint Senior Enlisted Leader Course, the Harvard Kennedy School Leadership in Homeland Security Course and other service-related schools. Master Chief Vanderhaden holds a Bachelor of Science Degree from Excelsior College.
Jason and his wife have two adult children who are both currently serving in the U.S. Coast Guard.
Awards and decorations
- "Master Chief Jason M. Vanderhaden Command Master Chief Deputy Commandant for Missions Support (DCMS)". U.S. Coast Guard. Retrieved 30 March 2018. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "Order of Precedence – OPNAVINST 1710.7J (NOTES: 7)" (PDF). JMAR Protocol Training and Consulting. Retrieved February 17, 2019.
Senior Enlisted Service Representatives (SMA, SGMMC, MCPON, CMSAF, etc.) are typically afforded precedence equal to that of a three-star officer and are placed somewhere midway between the senior and junior general/flag officer present. This is not an exact rule, but one which can used to arrive at the proper placement for most situations.
Media related to Jason M. Vanderhaden at Wikimedia Commons
Steven W. Cantrell
| Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard