He grew up as a York City supporter and made a donation of £50,000 to the club while it was undergoing financial difficulties. He joined York City as a director after the Supporters' Trust completed their takeover of the club on 26 March 2003, eventually taking the role of managing director in September 2004 after Steve Beck resigned as chairman.
McGill was heavily involved in negotiating the deal for York City to gain full control of Bootham Crescent, after over 99% of the shareholders of Bootham Crescent Holdings voted in favour of the deal in January 2005. He also secured sponsorship from Nestlé Rowntree for Bootham Crescent in January 2005, which saw the ground renamed KitKat Crescent.
The York City Supporters' Trust voted by three to one to accept a takeover offer made by McGill at a meeting on 6 June 2006. His company J M Packaging offered to invest a substantial sum into the club, in return for a majority shareholding. He took the role of chairman at York by the start of the 2008–09 season.
His sister Sophie Hicks was on the board at York as Communications Director until stepping down in May 2016.
He is Managing Director of J M Packaging Ltd based in Malton.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jason McGill.|
- "Jason Alexander McGill". Companies House. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- "The great goal in Sophie's life". Evening Press. York. 6 May 2003. Retrieved 29 April 2007.
- "Away ranks at home". Evening Press. York. 8 May 2004. Retrieved 18 December 2008.
- Batters, Dave (2008). York City: The Complete Record. Breedon Books. p. 99. ISBN 978-1-85983-633-0.
- Batters. York City: The Complete Record. p. 102. ISBN 0-907969-69-0.
- "York regain ownership of ground". BBC Sport. 11 January 2005. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "York strike sweet deal for ground". BBC Sport. 19 January 2005. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "York vote for ownership transfer". BBC Sport. 7 June 2006. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- York City F.C. match programme. 25 August 2008. p. 3.
- "Sophie Hicks steps down from the YCFC board".
|This article about a British businessperson born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to English football is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|