17 January 1979 |
Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||194 cm (6 ft 4 in)|
|Weight||116 kg (18 st 4 lb)|
|Position||Prop, Second-row, Lock|
|2000–08||St George Illawarra Dragons||156||13||0||0||52|
|2002–05||New South Wales||8||0||0||0||0|
Jason Ryles (born 17 January 1979 in Wollongong, New South Wales) is an Australian former professional rugby league footballer of the 2000s and 2010s. A New South Wales State of Origin and Australia national representative forward, he played in the National Rugby League for the St. George Illawarra Dragons before going to Europe's Super League and playing for French club Catalan Dragons. Ryles returned to Australia and played for the Sydney Roosters before finishing his career at the Melbourne Storm.
In 2000, Ryles made his National Rugby League debut, playing for the St George Illawarra Dragons. At the end of the 2001 NRL season, he went on the 2001 Kangaroo tour. In June, 2008, the Dragons announced Ryles had signed with French Super League club, Catalan Dragons for two years commencing in 2009.
Ryles returned to the NRL in 2010 with the Sydney Roosters and was part of the team that made the Grand Final that season. However, after a disappointing 2011 season for the Roosters, his contract was terminated one year before its expiry. He subsequently signed with the Melbourne Storm for the 2012 season. The Storm, who were the minor premiers in 2011, cited Ryles' experience as a major factor in his signing. He played in the Melbourne Storm's 2013 World Club Challenge win over Leeds. Ryles had played fifteen Tests for Australia and represented the New South Wales Blues on eight occasions.
- Junior Clubs: Berkeley & Wests Illawarra
- First Grade Debut: Round 15, St George Illawarra v Parramatta, Parramatta Stadium, 14 May 2000
- "Dragons confirm Ryles departure". Fox Sports News (Australia). 2008-06-20. Retrieved 2008-06-26.
- "2009 NRL Player Movements". NRL Live. 2008-10-04. Retrieved 2008-10-04.
- Webster, Andrew (19 October 2011). "NRL Sydney Roosters sack prop Jason Ryles for 2012". The Daily Telegraph (Australia). Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Storm confirm Ryles signing". ABC News (Australia). 29 October 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
|This rugby league football biography relating to an Australian born in the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|