Shackell playing for Barnsley in 2011
|Full name||Jason Philip Shackell|
|Date of birth||27 August 1983|
|Place of birth||Stevenage, England|
|Height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|2009||→ Norwich City (loan)||14||(0)|
|2009–2010||→ Doncaster Rovers (loan)||21||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18:41, 10 October 2015 (UTC).
Shackell is a product of the Norwich City youth academy, which he joined in 2000. He made his senior debut for on 5 April 2003 in a 2–1 defeat at Derby County, when he played at left-back following an injury to Adam Drury. Although Shackell's preferred – and best – position is central defender, his first few appearances were at left-back when Drury was either injured or suspended.
He added further experience the following season as Norwich won the First Division championship. He did not feature in the club's opening months in the Premier League but returned to the team in February 2005 in a home game against Manchester City. Although Norwich lost 3–2, he acquitted himself well and kept his place in the centre of defence for the remainder of the season, but could not prevent relegation.
The scene was set for Shackell to continue his progress in the 2005–06 season. However, a pre-season illness and a subsequent run of injuries caused him to miss four months of the campaign. However, the season brought him his first goal for Norwich on 17 October 2006 against Birmingham City, proving to be the winning goal. He scored two further goals that season, against Preston North End and Luton Town, but the club were unable to challenge for an immediate return to the top division.
After undergoing another ankle operation during Summer 2006, he returned to be a virtual ever-present in the next season. With the arrival of Peter Grant as manager during the season, Shackell was appointed captain at the start of the 2007–08 season. In October 2007, he signed a new contract that was due to have kept him at Carrow Road until 2010. However, his season took a downturn in December, when new manager Glenn Roeder relieved him of the captaincy.
Shackell lost his place in the Norwich side at the start of the new season after several new defensive signings arrived. On 1 September 2008, he left for fellow Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers, signing a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee believed to be around £1 million.
However, he was unable to stake a regular place in the Molineux side, and fell down the pecking order. He returned to his former club Norwich on 10 February 2009, for the remainder of the 2008–09 season. The season proved unique for Shackell as he was relegated from the Championship, but having played 12 games earlier in the season for Wolves before his loan to Norwich, had done enough to earn a winners' medal when Wolves won the Championship on 25 April.
On 12 May 2010 he left Molineux, when he signed for Barnsley for an undisclosed fee. He served as club captain, replacing Stephen Foster. Shackell's first goal for the club came in the 2–0 victory over Middlesbrough at Oakwell on 28 August 2010. Shackell headed home to give Barnsley a 1–0 lead in the 28th minute.
After a set of impressive performances during the 2010–11 season (where he won the Player of The Year award), Shackell was heavily linked with transfer moves away from Oakwell, with fellow Championship clubs Burnley, Derby County, Hull City, Portsmouth and newly promoted Premier League outfit Swansea City all interested in the player.
Derby County had two bids for the player rejected, the second bid estimated to be in the region of £700,000. Derby went back with an improved bid on 15 June 2011, believed to be £750k up front, potentially rising to £1m. This bid was accepted by Barnsley on 17 June 2011.
Shackell was confirmed as a Derby County player on 21 June 2011, signing a three-year contract. Shackell scored on his league debut for Derby County in a 2–1 win over Birmingham City on the opening day of the 2011–12 season, heading the equaliser from a Ben Davies freekick. He was also the Rams captain for the game and won man of the match. Derby enjoyed their best start to a season for over 100 years, winning their first four games, and were in the top three going into the start of the October international break. Shackell proved key to this success and his early season form was rewarded with a nomination for the Championship Player of the Month award, though he eventually lost out to Middlesbrough's Matthew Bates. Shackell started every game of the 2011–12 season at centre back and became captain of the team after Shaun Barker was injured in the 1–0 win against Nottingham Forest in mid-March 2012. Shackell was an ever present in the Derby County side during the season and was runner up in the fans Player of the Season vote. In the close season, Derby rejected four bids from three clubs, with Burnley and Cardiff City thought to have made bids On 4 July 2012, it was confirmed the Derby County had accepted a bid for Shackell from Burnley believed to be £1.1 million.
On 5 July 2012, Shackell signed for fellow Championship side Burnley for an undisclosed fee, on a four-year contract. Later that month it was announced that he would become Burnley captain. In March 2014 he scored the equalizing goal for Burnley in a 2-1 win over fierce East Lancashire rivals Blackburn at Ewood Park. The result was the Claret's first win in that fixture in 35 years. Shackell went on to guide Burnley to 2nd in the Championship and promotion to the Premier League in the 2013/14 season.
Return to Derby County
- As of match played 24 May 2015.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Norwich City||2002–03||First Division||2||0||0||0||0||0||—||2||0|
|Norwich City (loan)||2008–09||Championship||14||0||—||—||—||14||0|
|Doncaster Rovers (loan)||2009–10||Championship||21||1||2||0||0||0||—||23||1|
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2009). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2009–10. Mainstream Publishing. p. 372. ISBN 978-1-84596-474-0.
- Hugman, Barry J. (ed) (2008). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2008–09. Mainstream. ISBN 978-1-84596-324-8.
- Rollin, Glenda; Rollin, Jack, eds. (2012). Sky Sports Football Yearbook 2012–2013 (43rd ed.). London: Headline. p. 464. ISBN 978-0-7553-6356-8.
- "Jason Shackell". Flown from the Nest. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- "Shackell Completes Wolves Move". wolves.co.uk. 1 September 2008. Retrieved 1 September 2008.
- "Shackell Returns To Norwich on Loan". wolves.co.uk. 10 February 2009.
- "Shackell stays". doncasterroversfc.co.uk. 31 December 2009.
- "Barnsley sign Wolves defender Jason Shackell". BBC Sport. 12 May 2010.
- "Player of The Year Awards". barnsleyfc.co.uk. 5 May 2011.
- "Eddie Howe chasing Barnsley centre back Jason Shackell". BBC Sport. 10 June 2011.
- "Rams make Shackell approach". Teamtalk. 22 May 2011.
- "Hull in hurry to tie down Shackell". Mirror Football. 6 May 2011.
- "Pompey to take the Shackells off". The Sun. 11 June 2011.
- "Contingency plans in place over Shackell". The Star. 16 June 2011.
- "Shackell to be freed if it aids Hill's Oakwell rebuilding". Yorkshire Post. 3 June 2011.
- "New Rams bid for Shackell". Sky Sports. 15 June 2011.
- "Shackell goes from Red to Ram". Barnsley Chronicle. 17 June 2011.
- "Derby Swoop For Shackell". dcfc.co.uk. 21 June 2011.
- "Derby 2–1 Birmingham". BBC News. 6 August 2011.
- "Boro's Bates Pips Shackell To Award". dcfc.co.uk. 7 October 2011.
- "Bryson Claims The Jack Stamps Trophy". dcfc.co.uk. 28 April 2012.
- "Derby reject four offers for captain Jason Shackell". BBC Sport. 22 June 2012. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- "Burnley sign defender Jason Shackell from Derby County". BBC Sport. 5 July 2012. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- "It's The Day of the Shackell!". Burnley FC. 5 July 2012. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- "Jason Shackell: Derby County & Burnley agree fee for defender". BBC Sport. 23 July 2015. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Rams complete signing of Jason Shackell from Burnley in £3m deal". Derby Telegraph. 23 July 2015. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Norwich 2002/2003 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Norwich 2003/2004 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Norwich 2004/2005 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Norwich 2005/2006 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Norwich 2006/2007 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Norwich 2007/2008 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Norwich 2008/2009 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Wolves 2008/2009 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Doncaster 2009/2010 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Barnsley 2010/2011 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Derby 2011/2012 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Burnley 2012/2013 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Burnley 2013/2014 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Burnley 2014/2015 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "J. Shackell". Soccerway. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker wins PFA Player of the Year award". BBC Sport. 28 April 2014. Retrieved 26 April 2015.