Jason Thompson (basketball)
Thompson with the Kings
|No. 1 – Golden State Warriors|
|Position||Power forward / Center|
July 21, 1986 |
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
|Listed height||6 ft 11 in (2.11 m)|
|Listed weight||250 lb (113 kg)|
|High school||Lenape (Medford, New Jersey)|
|NBA draft||2008 / Round: 1 / Pick: 12th overall|
|Selected by the Sacramento Kings|
|2015–present||Golden State Warriors|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Jason Carlton Thompson (born July 21, 1986) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Golden State Warriors of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He was a starting center playing college basketball for the Rider Broncs from 2004 to 2008, and was drafted in the first round of the 2008 NBA draft by the Sacramento Kings.
Thompson went on to play four seasons of college basketball for the Rider Broncs men's basketball from 2004 to 2008, where he was one of three players in the NCAA in 2006–07 to average 20 points and 10 rebounds per game. The other two were Kevin Durant of Texas and Nick Fazekas of Nevada.
As a senior during the 2007–08 season, Thompson averaged 20.4 points, 12.1 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 2.7 blocks and 1.1 steals per game. His strongest performance came on March 9, 2008 when he recorded 32 points and 18 rebounds against Marist College. He led Rider to the 2008 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Tournament finale against Siena College a day later. Rider fell short in a 74–53 loss in which Thompson registered 22 points and 12 rebounds. Rider finished the regular season and conference tournament schedule with a strong 23–10 record, but still missed an at-large bid to the NIT. However, Rider did receive a bid to the inaugural College Basketball Invitational tournament in 2008. Rider lost its first round game to the Old Dominion Monarchs 68–65; Thompson finished with 15 points, 17 rebounds and 3 blocks.
Sacramento Kings (2008–2015)
Thompson was selected with the 12th overall pick by the Sacramento Kings in the 2008 NBA draft. On July 8, 2008, he signed his rookie scale contract with the Kings. As a rookie in 2008–09, he played all 82 games for the Kings while averaging 11.1 points and 7.4 rebounds per game.
On October 25, 2009, the Kings exercised their third-year team option on Thompson's rookie scale contract, extending the contract through the 2010–11 season. He went on to have a career-best season as he averaged 12.5 points and 8.5 rebounds per game.
On October 25, 2010, the Kings exercised their fourth-year team option on Thompson's rookie scale contract, extending the contract through the 2011–12 season.
Golden State Warriors (2015–present)
On July 10, 2015, Thompson was traded to the Philadelphia 76ers along with Carl Landry, Nik Stauskas, a future first round pick, and the rights to swap first round picks in 2016 and 2017, in exchange for the rights to Artūras Gudaitis and Luka Mitrović. On July 31, the 76ers traded Thompson to the Golden State Warriors in exchange for Gerald Wallace, cash and draft considerations.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- Carchidi, Sam (October 21, 2003). "Lenape's Thompson selects Rider". Philly.com. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- Parrillo, Ray (January 16, 2010). "Evans had a less-than-stellar homecoming". Philly.com. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- Jason Thompson Stats
- Rider 76, Marist 71
- Fisher lifts Siena to fourth NCAA berth
- Old Dominion 68, Rider 65
- KINGS SIGN JASON THOMPSON
- Kings exercise options on Spencer Hawes, Jason Thompson and Donte Greene
- Kings exercise option on Evans, 3 others
- "KINGS EXTEND QUALIFYING OFFER TO JASON THOMPSON". NBA.com. June 25, 2012. Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- "KINGS RE-SIGN JASON THOMPSON". NBA.com. July 12, 2012. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- "Sixers Acquire Three Players From Sacramento". NBA.com. July 10, 2015. Retrieved July 10, 2015.
- "Warriors Acquire Jason Thompson from Philadelphia in Exchange for Gerald Wallace". NBA.com. July 31, 2015. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- Ryan Thompson in NBA Summer League