Verrett at the 2016 Pro Bowl
|No. 22 Los Angeles Chargers|
|Date of birth:||June 18, 1991|
|Place of birth:||Fairfield, California|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||188 lb (85 kg)|
|High school:||Fairfield (CA) Angelo Rodriguez|
|NFL Draft:||2014 / Round: 1 / Pick: 25|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2016|
Jason Verrett (born June 18, 1991) is an American football cornerback for the Los Angeles Chargers of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Chargers in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He played college football at TCU.
Verrett attended B Gale Wilson Middle School and attended Angelo Rodriguez High School, where he played football and ran track. In football, he played running back on offense and cornerback on the defensive side. He received Back of the Year honors on offense his junior and senior years. In track & field, Verrett competed in the 100-meter dash event in 2007, clocking a PR of 11.87 seconds at the SCAC FINALS Meet, where he took 3rd in the freshman/sophomore finals. This was the only year he competed in track.
After graduating high school with no college scholarship offers, Verrett opted to attend Santa Rosa Junior College. While at SRJC, Verrett was named to the all-conference first team in 2010. He was considered a three-star recruit by Rivals.com.
In 2011, he went to TCU and had 58 tackles. The following year, he had 63 tackles and a team-leading six interceptions. He was a first team All-Big 12 selection. He was also named an All-American by Sports Illustrated.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|5 ft 9½ in||189 lb||30⅝ in||9¼ in||4.38 s||1.50 s||2.54 s||4.00 s||6.69 s||39½ in||10 ft 8 in||19 reps||17|
|All values from NFL Combine|
In Week 6 of 2014, Verrett made a sideline interception off of Oakland Raiders rookie quarterback Derek Carr at the San Diego 5 with 1:13 remaining in the game to seal a 31–28 Chargers win in Oakland, California. Verrett's first career interception helped the Chargers extend their winning streak to five games. He had left the game earlier in the third quarter after tearing his left labrum in three places while diving for a pass. Verrett, who grew up a Raiders fan in nearby Fairfield, California, had about 100 of his friends and family at the game. With fellow cornerbacks Brandon Flowers and Steve Williams out injured in Week 8 against the Denver Broncos, Verrett played despite his hurt shoulder; however, he was unable to play after a few series in the second quarter. His promising season was cut short after he was placed on injured reserve when his shoulder required season-ending surgery. He finished the season with 18 solo tackles, four passes defensed, and an interception.
Verrett started the season strong against the Detroit Lions, holding the Lions number 2 receiver Golden Tate to only 4 receptions for 24 yards. On November 9, 2015, Verrett intercepted a pass from Jay Cutler of the Chicago Bears and returned it for a touchdown, the first Pick 6 of his career. Then on December 6, 2015, Verrett intercepted Brock Osweiler, a pass intended for Demaryius Thomas. The next week, Verrett had another interception against Alex Smith, ending Alex Smith's streak of no interceptions in 312 attempts. By the end of the season, Verrett totaled 3 interceptions, 12 passes defended, and 1 interception returned for a touchdown. After having a great season, Jason Verrett was chosen for the Pro Bowl in place of Darrelle Revis.
During a game against the New Orleans Saints on October 2, Verrett injured his knee and did not return to the game. MRI tests later confirmed that Verrett partially tore his ACL, which ended his 2016 season.
On April 24, 2017, the Chargers picked up the fifth-year option on Verrett's contract.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- "Jason Verrett Profile". gofrogs.cstv.com. Retrieved February 14, 2013.
- Jason Verrett - Yahoo Sports
- "SI.com's 2012 All-America Team". sportsillustrated.cnn.com. December 11, 2012. Retrieved February 14, 2013.
- At No. 25, Chargers take TCU cornerback Jason Verrett
- "Chargers rally past Raiders 31-28". ESPN.com. Associated Press. October 12, 2014. Archived from the original on October 13, 2014.
- Gehlken, Michael (October 12, 2014). "Jason Verrett caps wild Chargers win". U-T San Diego. Archived from the original on October 13, 2014.
- Gehlken, Michael (November 15, 2014). "Cornerback Jason Verrett out for year". U-T San Diego. Archived from the original on December 31, 2014.
- Gehlken, Michael (October 23, 2014). "Injured Jason Verrett did what he could". U-T San Diego. Archived from the original on October 24, 2014.
- Henne, Ricky (October 5, 2016). "Jason Verrett to Miss Rest of 2016 with Partially Torn ACL". Chargers.com.
- Alper, Josh (April 24, 2017). "Chargers plan to exercise Jason Verrett’s 2018 option". ProFootballTalk.NBCSports.com.