Pääkkönen in 2012
Joona Jasper Pääkkönen
15 July 1980
|Spouse(s)||Alexandra Escat (2017–)|
|Awards||FIFI Best Actor|
2003 Bad Boys
Jussi Award for Best Supporting Actor
2013 Heart of a Lion
Joona Jasper Pääkkönen (Finnish pronunciation: [ˈjo̞ːnɑ ˈjɑspe̞r ˈpæːkːø̞ne̞n]; born 15 July 1980) is a Finnish film actor and entrepreneur.
After his over two-decade career in Finnish movies his international breakthrough role was in 2015 in historical drama television series Vikings (2013–) as Halfdan the Black. His next role was in Spike Lee's comedy-drama film BlacKkKlansman (2018). He's been cast to the upcoming The Dark Tower television series, based on the Stephen King's novels by the same name.
Pääkkönen was born in Helsinki, Finland, the son of actor Seppo Pääkkönen and Virve Havelin. His uncle Antti Pääkkönen is also an actor. Already as a child, Pääkkönen was a theater assistant and attended Kallio Upper Secondary School of Performing Arts in Kallio, Helsinki.
Pääkkönen's first film role was in The Glory and Misery of Human Life from 1988, when he was seven years old. He became famous as Saku Salin in the Finnish television soap opera Salatut elämät (1999–2002). According to a calculation published by Finnish tabloid Ilta-Sanomat, Pääkkönen is "the most profitable film actor in Finland" for having starred in numerous box office hits during his career. Many of Pääkkönen's films have made #1 at the Finnish box office, including Bad Boys, which is one of the most successful Finnish films at the national box office of all time. Other of Pääkkönen's commercial and critical successes include Frozen Land (2005), Matti: Hell Is for Heroes (2006) and Lapland Odyssey (2010).
For his role in Bad Boys, Pääkkönen was given the Best Actor Award in the Brussels International Independent Film Festival. He has earned international praise from film critic Michael Giltz from the Huffington Post, who called the actor "handsome and compelling" in his role in Lapland Odyssey. Film critic Leslie Felperin from Variety named Pääkkönen a "rising thesp, showing impressive range" in his starring role in Matti. In 2006 the European Film Promotion introduced Pääkkönen as the Shooting Star of Finland at the Berlin International Film Festival.
In 2013, Pääkkönen starred in Finnish drama film Heart of a Lion that earned him his first Jussi Award for Best Supporting Actor. In 2015, Pääkkönen was cast in the fourth season of the History Channel TV series Vikings as Halfdan the Black.
Pääkkönen co-starred as a KKK member in Spike Lee's drama BlacKkKlansman, which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival and was released on August 10, 2018. He was subsequently cast to Lee's upcoming Netflix production Da 5 Bloods.
In 2009 Pääkkönen founded the Pokerisivut.com poker magazine together with film producer Markus Selin. In 2010 Pokerisivut.com was awarded Best Overall Affiliate at the London 2010 iGB Affiliate Awards.
Pääkkönen is a member of Vision fly fishing world team and has appeared on fly fishing TV shows and DVDs as a celebrity guest.
Pääkkönen has also begun an entrepreneurship with MP Antero Vartia. They built a large sauna and restaurant complex called Löyly at the shore of Hernesaari, Helsinki which cost 6 million euros to build.
|1999–2002||Salatut elämät||Saku Salin||Regular role; 387 episodes|
|2003||Kaunis mies||Joonatan Kuusisto|
|2003||Irtiottoja - Fragments||Johnny|
|2016–2018||Vikings||Halfdan the Black||Fourth collaboration with Peter Franzén|
|2019||Pihlajasatu||Saku Salin||4 episodes|
|TBA||The Dark Tower||Marten Broadcloak||Main role|
- "Tyrmäävä kaunotar! Jasper Pääkkönen toi mallirakkaansa punaiselle matolle" (in Finnish). mtv.fi. July 31, 2018. Retrieved December 3, 2019.
- "Jasper Pääkkönen Alexandra-beloved rare update – opens in a couple of christmas in Finland: I Drank a new favorite drink". jellypages.com. December 31, 2018. Retrieved December 3, 2019.
- Otterson, Joe (March 21, 2019). "'Dark Tower' Pilot at Amazon Casts Jasper Pääkkönen, Sam Strike". Variety. Retrieved March 21, 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-02-04. Retrieved 2011-06-21.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Antti Pääkkönen - Discogs". Discogs. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Mickey Mouse speaks Finnish in my falsetto voice". Helsinki Times. 16 February 2014. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Muistatko tämän 80-luvun klassikkoleffan? Jasper Pääkkönen teki ensimmäisen leffaroolin 7-vuotiaana". Mesta.net (in Finnish). April 11, 2018. Retrieved December 6, 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-12-06. Retrieved 2011-11-01.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-11-03. Retrieved 2011-11-01.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Giltz, Michael (15 September 2010). "Toronto Film Fest Day 6: Hello, Lapland!". Huff Post. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- Felperin, Leslie; Felperin, Leslie (7 February 2006). "Matti – Hell is for Heroes". Variety.com. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- "european shooting stars". European Film Promotion. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- "'Vikings' Bulks Up With Three New Regulars for Season 4 (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- "Jasper Pääkköselle jälleen uusi Hollywood-rooli! Näyttelee Spike Leen seuraavassakin elokuvassa". Iltalehti. 13 March 2019. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- "Coin Flip in Poker - All You Need to Know". Coinflip.com. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- "VISION - IN FLY FISHING". Visionflyfishing.com. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- "Irtiottoja". IMDb.com. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- Jasper Pääkkönen on IMDb
- "Pokerisivut - Suomen suurin pokeriyhteisö - tietoa pokerista". Pokerisivut.com. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
|This article about a Finnish actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|