Jasper van 't Hof
Van 't Hof was born in Enschede, Overijssel, Netherlands, and began studying piano at the age of five. He was playing in jazz bands in school, and by the age of 19 was playing at jazz festivals with drummer Pierre Courbois. In 1969, he became a member of Courbois' early European jazz rock group Association P.C. (together with German guitarist Toto Blanke). In the project Piano Conclave he played with such piano giants as George Gruntz, Joachim Kühn, Wolfgang Dauner and Keith Jarrett.
In 1974, he founded Pork Pie and teamed up with Philip Catherine (guitar), Charlie Mariano (saxophone), Aldo Romano (drums), and Jean-François Jenny Clark (bass). Other bands that he contributed to soon followed, including Eyeball which included saxophonist Bob Malach and the late violinist Zbigniew Seifert. He had two bands; Face To Face which is composed of the Danish bassist Bo Stief and the saxophonist Ernie Watts and his crossover combo Pili Pili featuring, among others, African singer Angelique Kidjo.
Van't Hof is one of the most active jazz musicians on the European scene. During the course of his career, he has been at the keyboard for Archie Shepp and many others, although he is best known for his exceptional solo piano playing.
John Kelman, Allaboutjazz critique, in his review of Transitory said:
|"Transitory's high point is the two-part title track. Orchestral in scope despite limited instrumentation, Van't Hof's strength as a textural player, comfortably blending impressionistic writing with freer concerns, is in full force."|
- 1971 Sun Rotation — Association P.C.
- 1974 Eye-Ball
- 1974 Transitory Jasper van't Hof's Pork Pie
- 1976 The Door Is Open Jasper van't Hof's Pork Pie
- 1976 The Selfkicker
- 1977 Flowers Allover
- 1977 However
- 1978 Fairytale — Jasper van't Hof, George Gruntz
- 1979 Sleep My Love — Philip Catherine, Charlie Mariano, Jasper van't Hof
- 1980 Aqua Sansa — Markus Stockhausen, Jasper van't Hof
- 1982 Mama Rose — Archie Shepp, Jasper van't Hof
- 1983 Balloons — Jasper van't Hof, Joachim Kühn
- 1984 Pili Pili
- 1987 Jakko — Pili Pili
- 1987 The Fifth of May — Archie Shepp, Jasper van't Hof
- 1989 Be In Two Minds — Pili Pili
- 1990 Hotel Babo — Pili Pili
- 1992 Stolen Moments — Pili Pili
- 2000 Home — Annie Whitehead
- 2001 Brutto Tempo — Jasper van't Hof, Charlie Mariano, Steve Swallow
- 2003 Axioma — Piano Solo
- 2005 Neverneverland — Hotlips
- "Transitory". Allaboutjazz.com. Retrieved 2010-10-30.