Jaume Roig (early 15th century, València - April 1478, Benimàmet) was a doctor in the city of València and the author of Espill (Mirror), a work of medieval literature in the Catalan language. Together with Ausiàs March, and Isabel de Villena, Jaume Roig is one of the three writers chosen by Henry W. Longfellow to summarise the literature of the 15th century in the Catalan language.
His grandfather was a notary and also involved in politics and medicine. Jaume Roig's father, also called Jaume Roig and often referred to as Jaume Roig lo vell (the old one), was a member of the local council and a doctor's examiner.
Jaume Roig "lo jove" (the young one) was born in València in the early 15th century. He was a Mestre in Medicine and he probably studied at the University of Lleida, created around 1300 by the King James II, and the University of Paris.
His family's position and reputation allowed him to work as the doctor of the Royal Family, the local government and the church. He was also the doctors' Academic Examiner for over a decade.
By 1441 Jaume Roig had married Isabel Pellicer. They had six children, all of which lived longer than Jaume Roig and three of whom joined the clergy.
The Espill is addressed to the fictitious nephew of the narrator and tries to convince him of the evil nature of women and how it is better to avoid their company by all means. To do so, the narrator provides examples of mundane women trying to harm male pilgrims, and particularly his own (fictional) experiences after several marriages. Some scholars believe the misogyny of the narrator should not be assumed to represent the views of the author.
- "Jaume Roig". Escriptors.cat. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- Miquel, Josep. "Catalan literature | Britannica.com". Global.britannica.com. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- "The Poets and Poetry of Europa with Introductions and Biographical Notices - Books on Google Play". Play.google.com. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- "Història i Tradició". Udl.es. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- Universitat de Barcelona Narpan. "Temes de Sciència.cat". Sciencia.cat. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- Jean Dangler. "Abject pilgrimage and healing in Jaume Roig's Spill" (PDF). Raco.cat. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- "Le Spill de Jaume Roig ou l'impossibilité du bon mariage | Alfons Gregori". Academia.edu. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- "Retòrica sermonària, exempla i construcció textual de l'Espill de Jaume Roig | Josep-Antoni Ysern i Lagarda". Academia.edu. 1997-01-01. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- Dictionary of the Literature of the Iberian Peninsula. Books.google.es. p. 1397. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- "Sodomy and the Sick Body of Women | Rafael M. Mérida Jiménez". Academia.edu. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- "Espill : Raimon : UPV". Upv.es (in Catalan). 2013-05-17. Retrieved 2017-01-03.