Other browser vendors needed to overhaul their interpreters to compete. Apple developed the Nitro engine for its Safari browser, which had 30% better performance than its predecessor. Mozilla leveraged portions of Nitro to improve its own SpiderMonkey engine.
- SpiderMonkey is developed by Mozilla for use in Firefox and its forks. The GNOME Shell uses it for extension support.
- "Big browser comparison test: Internet Explorer vs. Firefox, Opera, Safari and Chrome". PC Games Hardware. Computec Media AG. Retrieved 2010-06-28.
- "Lifehacker Speed Tests: Safari 4, Chrome 2". Lifehacker. Retrieved 2010-06-28.
- "Mozilla asks, 'Are we fast yet?'". Wired. Retrieved 18 January 2019.
- Safari 5 Released
- Stachowiak, Maciej (November 9, 2008). "Companies and Organizations that have contributed to WebKit". WebKit Wiki. Retrieved April 13, 2019.
- Belfiore, Joe (2020-01-15), New year, new browser – The new Microsoft Edge is out of preview and now available for download, Microsoft
- "Microsoft Edge and Chromium Open Source: Our Intent". Microsoft Edge Team. 6 December 2018. Retrieved 8 December 2018.