López in 2013
|Full name||Javier López Rodríguez|
|Date of birth||21 January 1986|
|Place of birth||Osuna, Spain|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Full back / Midfielder|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10 November 2019|
He spent his entire professional career with Espanyol, having signed in 2007.
Born in Osuna, Seville, Andalusia, and a product of Real Betis' youth ranks, López signed with RCD Espanyol in 2007. On 4 October 2009 he made his debut for the first team of the latter club, in a La Liga match against Villarreal CF, taking the pitch with less than ten minutes to go as the ten-man side eventually held off the hosts to a 0–0 draw; the vast majority of his first season was spent, however, with the reserves, which suffered relegation from the third division.
López was definitely promoted to the main squad for the 2010–11 campaign, being used by manager Mauricio Pochettino in various midfield and defender positions. He scored his first goal as a professional on 18 September 2011, but in a 1–2 away loss to Real Zaragoza where he was also sent off for two bookable offences, one of them resulting in a penalty.
On 29 March 2014, after Kiko Casilla was sent off late in the home fixture against FC Barcelona and his team had no replacements left, López played as a goalkeeper. He conceded no goals, in a 0–1 defeat.
- Martínez, Alberto (19 February 2017). "Plantilla versátil: el 64% ha jugado en varias posiciones" [Versatile squad: 64% of them have played in several positions]. Diario AS (in Spanish). Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- Molero, Iván (15 October 2015). "La pasión de sus aficiones es el nexo entre Espanyol y Betis" [The passion of their fans is the link between Espanyol and Betis]. Diario AS (in Spanish). Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "Drab draw for Villarreal". ESPN Soccernet. 4 October 2009. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Bernad, Marc (31 July 2011). ""Mi polivalencia me da vida: quiero ser clave"" ["My versatility is my bread and butter: i want to play a big part"]. Diario AS (in Spanish). Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Egea, Pablo (18 September 2011). "Luis García se crece ante el Espanyol" [Luis Garcia gets all over Espanyol]. Marca (in Spanish). Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- Ruiz, David (29 March 2014). "El Barça derrota al Espanyol con un gol de Messi de penalti" [Barça beat Espanyol with Messi penalty goal]. La Vanguardia (in Spanish). Retrieved 29 January 2018.