Manquillo playing for Liverpool in 2014
|Full name||Javier Manquillo Gaitán|
|Date of birth||5 May 1994|
|Place of birth||Madrid, Spain|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Right back|
|2011–2013||Atlético Madrid B||42||(0)|
|2014–2015||→ Liverpool (loan)||10||(0)|
|2015–2016||→ Marseille (loan)||31||(0)|
|2016–2017||→ Sunderland (loan)||20||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 8 May 2018
Born in Madrid, Manquillo started playing football with hometown's Real Madrid alongside his twin brother Víctor, a forward. However, in mid-2007, the club decided to release the latter and the former followed suit, with both signing for neighbouring Atlético Madrid 48 hours later. In November 2011 he made his unofficial debut with first team, playing in a friendly game against Zamalek SC; late into the month, he extended his contract until 2016.
On 8 December 2011, Manquillo made his official debut for the Colchoneros, starting in a 1–2 away loss against Albacete Balompié for the Copa del Rey (1–3 on aggregate). He was subsequently an unused substitute in the matches against Real Sociedad and Málaga CF, whilst finishing the season in Segunda División B with 13 appearances for the B-side.
On 28 November 2012, again in the domestic cup, Manquillo appeared in his second game with Atlético's main squad, playing 63 minutes in a 3–0 success at Real Jaén. On 6 December he featured in the 0–1 away defeat against FC Viktoria Plzeň for the campaign's UEFA Europa League.
Manquillo's debut in La Liga came on 9 December 2012, coming on for Filipe Luís late into the second half of a 6–0 home routing of Deportivo de La Coruña. On 3 September of the following year he signed a contract extension with Atlético Madrid, keeping him at the Vicente Calderón Stadium until 2018.
On 11 February 2014, in the first half of the Spanish Cup semifinal clash against Real Madrid, Manquillo was involved in two incidents with Cristiano Ronaldo: in the early minutes, he conceded a penalty which the Portuguese converted in the first goal of an eventual 2–0 win (5–0 on aggregate). Later, after both went for an aerial challenge, he fell headfirst to the ground, going on to be sidelined for more than one month with a neck injury.
On 6 August 2014, Manquillo joined Liverpool in a two-year loan deal with an option to buy after his first season. He made his debut 11 days later, playing the full 90 minutes in a 2–1 Premier League win over Southampton. On 16 September, he won a 93rd-minute penalty in the UEFA Champions League tie against PFC Ludogorets Razgrad, which Steven Gerrard converted to make the score 2-1 and win the match; the following weekend, in the third round of the Football League Cup, he converted his penalty shootout attempt against Middlesbrough as his team prevailed 14–13 following a 2–2 draw.
On 6 January 2015, Manquillo provided the assist for the first of Gerrard's two goals in a 2–1 win at A.F.C. Wimbledon for the FA Cup. After featuring in 16 matches during the first part of the season, he played just three times in 2015, never in the domestic league, and Atlético Madrid subsequently confirmed that the loan deal had been terminated.
On 27 July 2015, Manquillo joined Olympique de Marseille on a season-long loan with an option to buy. On 25 August of the following year, still owned by Atlético, he signed with English club Sunderland also for one season.
Manquillo earned 25 caps for Spain at youth level, including seven for the under-21s. He made his debut on 4 September 2014, starting in a 1–0 win in Hungary for the 2015 UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualifiers.
- As of match played 5 May 2018
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|Atlético Madrid B||2011–12||Segunda División B||13||0||—||—||—||13||0|
|Atlético Madrid||2011–12||La Liga||0||0||1||0||—||0||0||1||0|
|Liverpool (loan)||2014–15||Premier League||10||0||2||0||2||0||5[c]||0||19||0|
|Marseille (loan)||2015–16||Ligue 1||31||0||6||0||2||0||4[a]||0||43||0|
|Sunderland (loan)||2016–17||Premier League||20||1||2||0||0||0||—||22||1|
|Newcastle United||2017–18||Premier League||21||0||0||0||0||0||—||21||0|
- Atlético Madrid
- "Squads for 2016/17 Premier League confirmed". Premier League. 1 September 2016. Retrieved 15 September 2016.
- "Javier Manquillo". Liverpool F.C. Archived from the original on 9 November 2014. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- Javi Manquillo, el lateral que le dijo 'no' al Real Madrid por su hermano (Javi Manquillo, the full back who said 'no' to Real Madrid because of his brother); Mundo Deportivo, 8 December 2011 (in Spanish)
- Salvio and Diego secure win over Zamalek; Atlético Fans, 10 November 2011
- Atlético talent signs contract through 2016; Atlético Fans, 30 November 2011
- Adrián evita el naufragio (Adrián prevents shipwreck); Marca, 8 December 2011 (in Spanish)
- Copa del Rey: Atlético 1–0 Real Jaén; Atlético Fans, 28 November 2012
- Plzeň pip Atlético to take top spot; UEFA, 6 December 2012
- Five-star show from Falcao; ESPN FC, 9 December 2012
- Manquillo, Óliver Torres y Koke, hasta junio de 2018 (Manquillo, Óliver Torres and Koke, until June 2018); Marca, 3 September 2013 (in Spanish)
- Ronaldo spot on for Real; ESPN FC, 11 February 2014
- Manquillo estuvo al borde de la tragedia (Manquillo neared tragedy); Marca, 13 February 2014 (in Spanish)
- Manquillo, un mes con collarín (Manquillo, one month with neck brace); Marca, 12 February 2014 (in Spanish)
- "Reds complete Manquillo loan move". Liverpool F.C. 6 August 2014. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "Acuerdo con el Liverpool para la cesión de Manquillo" [Agreement with Liverpool for Manquillo's loan]. Atlético Madrid. 6 August 2014. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "Liverpool 2–1 Southampton". BBC Sport. 17 August 2014. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- "Liverpool 2–1 Ludo Razgd". BBC Sport. 16 September 2014. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- "Liverpool 2–2 Middlesbrough (14–13 penalties)". BBC Sport. 23 September 2014. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "AFC Wimbledon 1–2 Liverpool". BBC Sport. 6 January 2015. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "Liverpool considering ending Javier Manquillo loan". ESPN FC. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- "Manquillo will not stay with Liverpool". Atlético Madrid. 7 July 2015. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Javier Manquillo est Olympien" [Javier Manquillo is an Olympian] (in French). Olympique de Marseille. 27 July 2015. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "Sunderland seal Manquillo deal". Sunderland A.F.C. 25 August 2016. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "Agreement with Sunderland for the loan of Manquillo". Atlético Madrid. 25 August 2016. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "Javier Manquillo: Newcastle sign former Liverpool and Sunderland defender". BBC Sport. 21 July 2017. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "0–1: Saúl Ñíguez da la victoria en el estreno de Celades" [0–1: Saúl Ñíguez gives win in debut of Celades] (in Spanish). Mundo Deportivo. 4 September 2014. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- Javier Manquillo at Soccerway. Retrieved 7 July 2014.