Life and career
Manzano was born in Mexico but moved to the United States with his family when he was 18 years old. He worked as a journalist and photographer for advertising agencies and the Rocky Mountain News until the newspaper closed its doors in 2009, after which he began working as a freelance photographer for the Associated Press, Agence France-Presse, Foreign Policy and other news outlets.
- 2011 World Press Photo Award
- 2013 World Press Photo Award
- 2013 Pulitzer Prize for feature photography
- 2013 Bayeux-Calvados Award for war correspondents
- 2016 Pell Center Prize for Story in the Public Square
Manzano's Pulitzer Prize–winning photograph was taken in October 2012 at the Karm-al Jabal district of Aleppo, Syria. It shows two Free Syrian Army soldiers guarding a sniper's nest as light streams through bullet holes in the wall behind them. Manzano is the first freelance photographer to be awarded the prize in 17 years, when Charles Porter IV and Stephanie Welsh won in 1996.
- "Javier Manzano, fotógrafo free lance de AFP, galardonado con un premio Pulitzer" (in Spanish). AFP. April 16, 2013. Archived from the original on 5 June 2013. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "Northern Exposure - By Javier Manzano". Foreign Policy. April 17, 2012. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Lum, Jessica (June 26, 2012). "Interview with Javier Manzano". PetaPixel. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "Javier Manzano". World Press Photo. Archived from the original on 14 March 2013. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "The Pulitzer Prizes | Citation". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "Results of the 20th Edition". Bayeux Calvados Awards. 2013. Archived from the original on 11 December 2013. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "Free Syrian Army fighters stand guard in Aleppo's Karm al-Jabal neighborhood, as light enters through a wall peppered by shrapnel". World Press Photo. 2013. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Tenore, Mallary Jean (April 17, 2013). "Javier Manzano first freelance photographer to win Pulitzer in 17 years". Retrieved 5 June 2013.
|This article about a photographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|