Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Aligarh
|Motto||(Arabic)علم الانسان ما لم يعلم ‘Allamal insaana maa lam ya’Ålam
(English translation) Taught man what he did not know. (Qur'an 96:5)
|Location||Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Affiliations||AMU, Medical Council of India|
In September, 2014 some of the researchers of the college found deadly super bug in the college premises. This is the first recorded presence of this particular strain of deadly antibiotic resistant "super bug" in India.
It has also launched e-Consultancy and Monitoring Cell for Diabetes.
Recently the college was in the news when the Mayor of Aligarh alleged that cow beef is served at the canteen of the college. The police denied that allegation of the Mayor.
JN Medical College came into existence through the enthusiasm of Dr. Sir Ziauddin Ahmed, who saw the need for a medical college for the poor community at Aligarh. He worked with his colleagues and students (old boys) to work for the establishment of a medical college at the Aligarh Muslim University. He raised the funds for the college.However the dream couldn't fulfil during his lifetime because of the death of Sir Ziauddin Ahmed in London.
The college under the leadership of Prof. Hadi Hasan, who was a leading force in the fund raising campaign. Neatrly eight million rupees were collected from all corners of the nation. The medical college was declared open on 2 October 1962 (the 93rd birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi) with an intake of 1st Batch of 40 MBBS students and the same strength continued up to 1984. The intake was increased from 40 to 100 students in 1985 and this remained so up to 1995. The academic session of 1996–97 witnessed a further increase in the intake of MBBS students up to 150 as well as beginning of BDS course with intake of 40 students in the first batch by the permission of MCI and DCI respectively.
In the early seventies the college was under the Deanship and Principalship of Colonel M. Tajuddin. Dr. Mahmoodur Rahman, the then vice chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University played a key role in the establishment of Dr. Sir Ziauddin Dental College under the Faculty of Medicine.
It has recently signed a memorandum of understanding with Fortis Escort Heart Institute where in staffs of AMU will get training at Fortis.
|University and college rankings|
|Medical - India|
|Business – India|
- "Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, AMU Best Medicine Colleges 2016 India Today Survey". indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- "INDIA'S BEST MEDICAL COLLEGES 2014". India Today. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "INDIA'S BEST MEDICAL COLLEGES 2015". India Today. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "i3RC Times Top 50 Medical College Rankings 2015". Times Survey. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "Antibiotic Resistant 'Super Bug' Found at Aligarh Muslim University". NDTV. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "AMU's Medical College launches e-consultancy for diabetes | TwoCircles.net". twocircles.net. Retrieved 2016-03-27.
- "Will not curb 'freedom of expression' on AMU campus, says VC". http://www.hindustantimes.com/. Retrieved 2016-03-27. External link in
- Fund Raising Committee, Bedari Number, AMU Old Boys Association, Aligarh, India, 1942
- Professor Hadi Hasan – An introduction to his life and contributions, By Syed Ziaur Rahman, The Alig (The Newsletter of Aligarh Muslim University Alumni Association Northern California), California, USA, Vol. 3, No. 2, 2000: 8–9
- Hadi Hasan – An introduction to his Life & contributions, By Syed Ziaur Rahman, The Hadi (Millennium Special Edition), Hadi Hasan Hall Magazine, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India, 2002–2003: 1–3
- Professor Syed Hadi Hasan – An overview of his life & contributions, The Hadi, Annual Magazine of Hadi Hasan Hall, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India, 2009–2010
- "AMU news today: JNMC staff to receive training at Fortis Escorts Heart Institute – Northern Voices Online". nvonews.com. Retrieved 2016-03-27.
- "Top Medical Colleges". India Today. 2014. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Top Medical Colleges in India 2016". Careers360.