||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
September 29, 1969 |
|Residence||Bloomington, Indiana, U.S.|
|Alma mater||University of Arizona|
|Occupation||Author, Speaker, Consultant, Social Media expert|
|Website||Convince and Convert blog
As President of Convince & Convert and the founder of five companies, Baer has worked with over 700 brands including Nike, Cold Stone Creamery, Sony, ExactTarget, and ConocoPhillips since 1994, including 25 of the Fortune 1000. His Convince & Convert blog is ranked among the world’s top marketing resources, and was named #3 social media blog in the world by Social Media Examiner.
Baer was born in 1969 in Lincoln, Nebraska and grew up in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. He is a Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the University of Arizona (1991) with a major in political science and a minor in communications. Baer attended college as a Flinn Scholar, prestigious leadership and academic scholarship given to 20 Arizona high school seniors annually.
From 1998 through 2000, Baer served as the National Chairman of Ad 2, a division of the American Advertising Federation for emerging professionals aged 32 and younger with a membership of 2,000. He was the first person elected to two terms. Prior to holding this national position, Baer was president of the Phoenix chapter in 1995.
In his early career, Baer was a political campaign manager on congressional, gubernatorial and Arizona initiative campaigns. He also served as a political consultant advising campaigns on marketing including direct mail and radio strategies.
When Arizona Senator John McCain ran for president in 2000, Baer ran his email program and built his fundraising website. The interactive nature of McCain’s campaign boosted the campaign and showed how the internet could impact politics.
Baer also worked in public relations, and as a marketing manager for Waste Management, Inc.
He began his online marketing career in 1994, as Vice President at Internet Direct, Arizona's first Internet Service Provider, and a pioneering Web hosting company. Internet Direct was eventually sold to Mindspring.
After Internet Direct, Baer was the co-founder of azfamily.com, a local content website powered by KTVK 3TV, KASW-WB61, Phoenix Magazine, and KEZ Radio. A division of MAC America (a family-owned media conglomerate), azfamily.com was Arizona's second-largest content website, and a major designer and developer of corporate websites. In 1999, azfamily.com and all MAC America assets were sold to Belo Corporation.
In 2000, he spent a short period working as a Vice President at visitalk.com, a free VOIP calling and video calling service that functioned similarly to today's Skype.
Later in 2000, he founded the digital agency Mighty Interactive, providing Web strategy, search marketing, email marketing, usability, and online advertising solutions to corporate clients. Mighty Interactive was named Arizona's top digital marketing firm for five consecutive years by Ranking Arizona, and won many national and international awards for online marketing excellence. The firm was merged with marketing agency Off Madison Ave in 2005.
In 2008, Baer founded social media strategy consultancy Convince & Convert, working with corporate and agency clients nationally.
Baer now speaks at a lot of conferences and private events, mostly talking about the intersection of the web, communication, and business culture.
In September 2010, Jay moved to Bloomington, Indiana with his wife and two children.
In July 2013, he was recognized by his hometown newspaper, the Lake Havasu News Herald, for writing a bestselling book.
In June 2014, he was recognized as a Hinge Visible Expert, as a marketer who has attained high visibility and expertise.
Baer is the co-author of The Now Revolution: 7 Shifts to Make Your Business Faster, Smarter and More Social with Amber Naslund. The book discusses the impact of the social web and how businesses need to “adapt to the new era of instantaneous business.”
Other works include:
- Youtility: Why Smart Marketing Is about Help Not Hype (2013)
- Youtility for Accountants: Why Smart Accountants Are Helping, Not Selling (with Darren Root) (2014)
- Youtility for Real Estate: Why Smart Real Estate Professionals are Helping, Not Selling (with Erica Campbell Byrum) (2014)
- Hug Your Haters: How to Embrace Complaints and Keep Your Customers (2015)
- "New Ad 2 chairman looks to improve communication". Phoenix Business Journal. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "McMurry newsletter to aid marketers". Phoenix Business Journal. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Jay Baer". speaking.com. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- Forbes: Net vs. Norm
- "Visible Expert Profile: Jay Baer". hingemarketing.com. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Amazon.com: Jay Baer: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle". amazon.com. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "nowrevolutionbook.com". nowrevolutionbook.com. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Amazon.com: The NOW Revolution: 7 Shifts to Make Your Business Faster, Smarter and More Social (9780470923276): Jay Baer, Amber Naslund: Books". amazon.com. Retrieved 29 January 2016.