Jay Edwards (politician)
|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives from the 94th District|
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2017
|Preceded by||Debbie Phillips|
|Alma mater||Ohio University (B.S.)|
Jay Edwards is the state representative for the 94th District of the Ohio House of Representatives. He is a Republican. The district consists of Meigs County, as well as portions of Athens, Vinton and Washington counties.
Life and career
Edwards was born and raised in Nelsonville, Ohio, where he graduated from Nelsonville-York High School and still resides today. He later attended nearby Ohio University on scholarship. Edwards is a licensed realtor.[self-published source]
His family has long roots in Nelsonville, where his uncle recently served as city manager.
Ohio House of Representatives
In 2016, Representative Debbie Phillips was term-limited and ineligible to run for a fifth term. A Democrat, Phillips had only faced one serious election in her four terms, in 2014, where she won by just over 100 votes. However, despite Athens County, the largest in the district, being considered reliably Democratic, Republicans had historically seen success in winning the district prior to Phillips' taking the seat.
Democrats nonetheless fielded Sarah Grace, a small-business owner from Athens who was a newcomer to politics and a liberal. Despite being considered the favorite, Edwards raised considerable money, albeit not without controversy. In the end, in what was a very good year for Republicans, Edwards defeated Grace by a 58% to 42% margin, taking the seat.
- "Jay Edwards - About". Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- "Sarah Grace outraises Jay Edwards after trailing him prior to primary". Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- "Political parties contributed big-time in Ohio House race". Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- DeWitt, David. "House Dems drop election complaint against Jay Edwards". Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- "Jay Edwards wins Ohio's 94th district". Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- "Edwards takes Ohio's 94th District seat - The New Political". Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- Ohio State Representative Jay Edwards official site
| Ohio House of Representatives, 94th District