Jay Faires is an entrepreneur and investor. He currently has three companies: Band of Outsiders, a content production company, Mammoth Ventures, his investment and advisory arm and The Wellness Agency a talent management and consulting company. Jay invests and advises around media solutions and wellness, including companies such as: Philo, Galore, Parsley Health, Seed&Spark and SereneBook. Band of Outsiders production company recently took a minority investment from Red Arrow Entertainment, part of ProSiebenSat.1, German media company. Band of Outsiders has shows with Bob Forrest, musician and longtime drug counselor and Paul Rosolie naturalist and explorer.
BNY Music & Mammoth Records
He previously founded Mammoth Records – an independent record label, publishing and lifestyle marketing company in the Carrboro area of Chapel Hill, North Carolina. The label was the first independent label to produce two platinum records. Mammoth featured an eclectic roster including: Blake Babies, Chainsaw Kittens, Machines of Loving Grace, Juliana Hatfield, Joe Henry, Seven Mary Three, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Victoria Williams, The Sidewinders, Jason & the Scorchers, Frente!, The Bats, The Backsliders, Dash Rip Rock, Dillon Fence, Fun-Da-Mental, Fu Manchu, The Melvins and The Hope Blister among others. After placing three acts in the top 3 of MTV's charts, he sold the label to The Walt Disney Company for a 65x return on capital. Faires then went on to build BNY Music, his music publishing company, acquiring blues catalog Black Top and many copyrights of David Bowie prior to its sale to Lionsgate.
Atlantic Records, Disney, Lionsgate
As part of the Mammoth records JV, Faires became SVP of A&R at Atlantic Records where he oversaw the rock and alternative rosters. Later when he bought the company back from Atlantic and sold to Disney, he became an SVP there while running Mammoth.
At Lionsgate, Faires was President of Music and oversaw all music for their TV and film slates including such hits as Mad Men and the Oscar winning Crash. The music team received two Oscar ® nominations for Marco Beltrami’s score for 3:10 to Yuma and Bird York’s song “In The Deep” for Best Picture winner Crash. Lionsgate released 3 of the 5 soundtracks for the Best Television Golden Globe nominees of Californication, Mad Men and Weeds. While there, the value of the music publishing asset doubled.
Education, Board Seats, Awards, and Non-Profits
He earned a Bachelor's degree with Honors from The University of the South where he was Young Alumnus of the Year in 2000, executive-in-residence for the Babson Center for Global Commerce in 2009 and sat on the University's Board of Trustees. He received his MBA from the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University where he gave the keynote address at the inauguration of their Center for Entrepreneurship in 2006. In 2008, he received the Joseph Papp Racial Harmony Award from the Foundation for Ethnic Understanding. He serves as an advisor or board member for Women @ the Frontier, 15X15, Invisible Children / 4th Estate and My Friend's Place.
- "Home". Mammoth Ventures. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "The Wellness Agency". The Wellness Agency. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- Fiegerman, Seth. "The lesser-known member of Facebook's original team is ready for the spotlight". Mashable. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "Galore - Fashion, Beauty, Sex, Dating, Bombshells, Celebrities, Music, & Pop Culture For The Modern Girl". Galore. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "This Functional Medicine Clinic is Changing Healthcare in Los Angeles". Organic Authority. 2016-08-25. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "Who we are | Seed&Spark". Seedandspark.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Germany's Red Arrow Takes Stake in Digital Media Group Band of Outsiders (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- Adelson, David; Adler, Steven; Avery, Eric; Berry, Iris (2013-09-03), Bob and the Monster, retrieved 2017-02-02
- Smith, Jennie Erin (2014-03-14). "Book Review: 'Mother of God' by Paul Rosolie". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "Mammoth Records". Wikipedia. 2017-02-17.
- "The Corporate Wooing and Winning of Mammoth Records". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Mi2N.com - Baby New Year Music Acquires David Bowie Copyrights". www.mi2n.com. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- ""Mad Men" Live Revue, the Vegas edition". Variety. 2009-01-29. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- "Electric Daisy Carnival Experience (2011) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb". imdb.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Electric Daisy Carnival Experience - YouTube". youtube.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Free Tibet (1998) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb". imdb.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "EPIX To Premiere Coldplay Live 2012 Tour Film - The Business Journals". bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Coldplay: Live 2012 (Official Trailer) | EPIX - YouTube". youtube.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- Inc, Nielsen Business Media (1995-11-18). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc.
- Gabriel, Trip (1997-07-28). "The Corporate Wooing and Winning of Mammoth Records". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Faires tunes in Lionsgate | Variety". variety.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Jay Faires". IMDB. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Complete List of Nominations for 2009 Golden Globes". E! Online. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Jay Faires, C’85, president of music at Lionsgate, to speak | Sewanee Today | Sewanee: The University of the South". news.sewanee.edu. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Spring Babson Center Events | Sewanee Today | Sewanee: The University of the South". news.sewanee.edu. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Fuqua to Open Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation | Duke Today". today.duke.edu. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "ISSUU - Dan's Papers Aug. 8, 2008 by Dan's Papers". issuu.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "About | Women At The Frontier". womenatthefrontier.org. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "LA Screening at SoHo House attracts Media Insiders — The Right to Heal". therighttoheal.org. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "15X15 CAMPAIGN — The Right to Heal". therighttoheal.org. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Advisory Council | Invisible Children". invisiblechildren.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Leadership : My Friend's Place". myfriendsplace.org. Retrieved 2014-03-16.