After earning a Bachelor of Science degree from Ithaca College, Frank managed a music venue, programmed broadcast radio stations, and created two local music video shows. He then acted as a marketing and A&R for Ignition Records before serving as senior music director at The Box Music Network. Prior to joining CMT in 2007, Frank was Vice President of Music Programming and Label Relations for Yahoo! Music and the Senior Vice President of Music Strategy for Country Music Television, which he joined in 2007.
Frank is an avid blogger and published his first book, Futurehit. DNA, in 2009. In the book, Frank studies what elements have contributed to past hit songs, including available technology, song structure, and instrumentation, and fifteen points he believes songwriters today must consider if they want to write hit songs. His second book, Hack Your Hit, offers low cost marketing tips for musicians utilizing tricks with social networks. "Futurehit.DNA" has garnered mostly positive reviews.
Frank sits on the Board of Directors of the Academy of Country Music, the Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee, and Leadership Music, and is a member of NARAS, the CRS Marketing Committee, and Leadership Music Digital Summit.
Frank has spoken about music technology at such conferences as The New Music Seminar, South by Southwest, Canadian Music Week, ASCAP Expo, Digital Music Forum, MusExpo, CMJ, SF Music Tech Summit, Mobile Entertainment Summit, and MIDEM. He was an instructor at the Rock and Load Music Group 2010 University Event, and has spoken at NMS and SXSW conferences, among others.
- Jay Frank Biography. FutureHitDNA.com. Accessed 30 December 2010.
- "High Tech Label DigSin Betting On Singles Model". Rolling Stone Magazine. 20 October 2011.
- "Jay Frank Joins CMT as Vice President, Music Strategy". CMT Press. Press release. 26 June 2007. Accessed December 30, 2010.
- "Yahoo Music Exec Goes Country". Web Pro News. 29 June 2007. Accessed December 30, 2010.
- Frank, Jay. Futurehit. DNA, Futurehit Press, 2009.
- Spector, Samantha (24 November 2009). "Futurehit Author Jay Frank". AmericanSongWriter.com. Accessed December 30, 2010.
- Knake, Kami. "Future Hit. DNA - 15 Tips To Craft Hit Songs In The Digital World (Written by a music executive insider)". MusicThinkTank.com. 2 November 2009. Accessed December 30, 2010.
- Kusek, David (16 February 2010). "FUTUREHIT DNA for Songwriters and Producers". FutureOfMusicBook.com. Accessed 30 December 2010.
- "ACM Board of Directors". ACMCountry.com. Accessed December 30, 2010.
- "CFMT 2011 Board Members". CFMT.org.
- "Jay Frank". MusicRow.com. Accessed 30 December 2010.
- Pa, Monica. "New Music Seminar Report". nysbar.com. 21 July 2010. Accessed 30 December 2010.
- "International Music Festival Conference Speakers". imfcon.com. Accessed 30 December 2010.
- "Rock and Load Agenda". rockandloadmusic.com. Accessed 30 December 2010.
- "Players". NewMusicSeminar.com. Accessed 1 January 2011.
- "Appearances". futurehitdna.com. Accessed 1 January 2011.