|Boston Red Sox|
Born: August 23, 1998|
Barnegat Township, New Jersey
Jason Joseph Groome (born August 23, 1998) is an American professional baseball pitcher. He attended Barnegat High School in Barnegat Township, New Jersey, and was considered a top prospect in the 2016 Major League Baseball draft. The Boston Red Sox selected him with the 12th overall selection.
High school career
Groome began high school at Barnegat High School in Barnegat Township, New Jersey. He made the school's varsity baseball team as a freshman, and as a sophomore, had a 6–2 win-loss record and 0.57 earned run average (ERA) in 61 1⁄3 innings pitched for the school's baseball team. He transferred to the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, before his junior year, and committed to attend Vanderbilt University on a college baseball scholarship. Groome pitched to a 5–0 record and a 1.22 ERA with 81 strikeouts and nine walks in 43 innings as a junior.
Due to feeling homesick, Groome opted to return to Barnegat for his senior year. However, the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association ruled that Groome was ineligible to pitch for Barnegat in April 2016 because the transfer did not involve a change of address. He regained his eligibility after 30 days, or half of Barnegat's games.
Groome throws a fastball between 92–96 miles per hour (148–154 km/h), a changeup, and a curveball. He was a potential first overall pick in the 2016 MLB Draft, and worked out for the Philadelphia Phillies, who had the first pick. Prior to the 2016 draft, Groome changed his college commitment to Chipola College. He was selected 12th overall by the Boston Red Sox in the 2016 MLB Draft, falling in part due to a reported signing bonus demand of $4 million and because of his change in college commitment, teams felt he had maturity issues. The Red Sox and Groome agreed to a $3.65 million signing bonus.
Groome made two starts for the Gulf Coast Red Sox of the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League before being promoted to the Lowell Spinners of the Class A-Short Season New York-Penn League. He posted a combined 2.70 ERA in three games for the Red Sox and Spinners. He spent 2017 with both Lowell and the Greenville Drive of the Class A South Atlantic League, going 3-9 with a 5.69 ERA in 14 games between both teams. Groome did not pitch in 2018 with what was thought to be a flexor strain. On May 9, the Red Sox announced Groome would undergo Tommy John surgery to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament of the elbow.
Groome has two older sisters and two younger brothers.
- "Barnegat Pitcher Is Groome(d) for Success – Surf City, NJ – The SandPaper". Retrieved December 12, 2015.
- "Barnegat pitcher Groome transferring to Fla. prep school, commits to Vanderbilt". Press of Atlantic City. Retrieved December 12, 2015.
- "60 for '16: IMG Academy (Fla.) pitcher Jason Groome – USA Today High School Sports – USA Today High School Sports". USA Today High School Sports. Retrieved December 12, 2015.
- "Jersey Shore lefty Jason Groome, 16, already a huge talent". philly-archives. Retrieved December 12, 2015.
- "Jason Groome, possible No. 1 pick in MLB draft, ruled ineligible". ESPN.com. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Stanmyre, Matthew (April 16, 2016). "Advisor to No. 1 MLB prospect Jason Groome rips NJSIAA". NJ.com. NJ Advance Media. Retrieved May 5, 2016.
- "Draft prospects Groome, Rutherford look good at Perfect Game showcase". ESPN.com. Retrieved December 12, 2015.
- "Local 6–5 LHP Jason Groome a possible 1st pick for Phillies". Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia. Retrieved December 12, 2015.
- "Could Jersey phenom Jason Groome be No. 1 pick in MLB draft?". NJ.com. Retrieved December 12, 2015.
- "Ex-Phils ace speaks highly of a possible future one". philly-archives. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- McGarry, Michael (June 8, 2016). "MLB prospect Jason Groome changes college commitment". Press of Atlantic City. Retrieved June 9, 2016.
- "Barnegat's Jason Groome taken by Red Sox with 12th pick in MLB Draft".
- "Why is Jason Groome's stock falling as MLB Draft looms?". Asbury Park Press. June 7, 2016. Retrieved July 15, 2016.
- Speier, Alex (July 14, 2016). "Red Sox agree to terms with top draft pick Jason Groome". The Boston Globe. Retrieved July 15, 2016.
- Mastrodonato, Jason (August 30, 2016). "Red Sox first-round pick Jason Groome promoted to Lowell". Boston Herald. Retrieved September 8, 2016.
- "Jay Groome Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Retrieved November 10, 2017.