Jay Jacobs (athletic director)
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Education||B.A., Auburn University, M.B.A., Auburn University|
|Occupation||Director of Athletics|
Jay Jacobs is the current director of athletics for the Auburn Tigers athletic department. He was named Auburn's 14th Director of Athletics on December 22, 2004, after working in almost every area of the Auburn athletic department for the previous 20 years.
Jacobs grew up 20 miles from Auburn in Lafayette, Alabama where he was a lifelong Auburn fan. He attended high school in Jacksonville, Florida but came back to Auburn for college. He became a walk-on on the Tiger football team and lettered as an offensive tackle in 1982 and 1983. While at Auburn he was a member of Sigma Pi fraternity. In 1983 he was named to the Los Angeles Times Walk-On All American Team and was a member of the SEC Championship team. He earned his bachelor's degree in 1985 and his MBA in 1988, both from Auburn.
After he finished playing college football, Jacobs became the football coach at Lee-Scott Academy in Auburn in 1984. In 1985 he was brought back to Auburn athletics as the Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach for the football team. From 1986 to 1988 he was a graduate assistant football coach. He was named Conditioning Coach in 1988.
He moved into the Athletics Department office in 1991 when he became Assistant Athletics Director. In 1994 he was made Associate Athletics Director for Operations. In 2001 he was named Senior Associate Athletics Director where he was in charge of Tigers Unlimited. From 2005 to the present he has served as the Athletics Director.
2008 football coaching change
In December 2008, Jacobs came under considerable criticism for the resignation of head football coach Tommy Tuberville and subsequent hiring of former Iowa State football coach, Gene Chizik.
The public perception of the 2008 coaching search was so negative  that it created a groundswell of opposition to Jacobs by many Auburn fans, students and alumni. However, Jacobs was later vindicated when Chizik, in his second year, won the 2010 BCS National Championship Game.
2010 basketball coaching change
In March 2010, Jacobs dismissed former Auburn men's basketball coach Jeff Lebo. Lebo had been at Auburn for six years, had a losing record, and his teams had failed to make the NCAA Tournament in any season. Jacobs replaced him with Tony Barbee.
- Langhammer, Jay (Spring–Summer 1984). "Sigma Pi Sports" (PDF). The Emerald of Sigma Pi. Vol. 72 no. 1. pp. 16–17.
- "Auburn University students protest treatment of Tommy Tuberville - ESPN". ESPN.com.
- http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-fbc-auburn-tubervillebd,0,4640983.story[dead link]
- https://web.archive.org/web/20081212104806/http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/12/09/auburn.protest.ap/index.html?. Archived from the original on December 12, 2008. Retrieved December 17, 2008. Missing or empty
- "Local News - Columbus Ledger Enquirer". ledger-enquirer.com.
- "Mark Schlabach: Auburn Tigers downgrade in hiring Gene Chizik - ESPN". ESPN.com.
- http://www.oanow.com/oan/news/local/article/student_reaction_to_chizik_mostly_negative/51007/[dead link]
- "Charles Barkley outraged by Auburn Tigers' hiring of Gene Chizik - ESPN". ESPN.com.
- "Auburn fires Gene Chizik after 3-9 season". Yahoo News. 25 November 2012.