Jay Jacobs (athletic director)
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||October 7, 1960|
|Education||B.A., Auburn University, M.B.A., Auburn University|
|Occupation||Executive Associate Athletics Director for External Affairs|
Jay Jacobs is the current Executive Associate Athletics Director for External Affairs for the Florida Gators and the former director of athletics for the Auburn Tigers athletic department. He was named Auburn's 14th Director of Athletics on December 22, 2004, after working in almost every area of the Auburn athletic department for the previous 20 years. Jacobs announced on November 3, 2017 that he will step down effective June 1, 2018 and possibly sooner if a successor is named before then. Jacobs replacement was announced and hired in January 2018.
Jacobs grew up 20 miles from Auburn in Lafayette, Alabama where he was a lifelong Auburn fan. He attended and graduated in 1979  from Wolfson High School in Jacksonville, Florida, but came back to Auburn for college. He became a walk-on on the Tiger football team and lettered as an offensive tackle in 1982 and 1983. While at Auburn he was a member of Sigma Pi fraternity. In 1983, he was named to the Los Angeles Times Walk-On All American Team and was a member of the SEC Championship team. He earned his bachelor's degree in 1985 and his MBA in 1988, both from Auburn.
After he finished playing college football, Jacobs became the football coach at Lee-Scott Academy in Auburn in 1984. In 1985, he was brought back to Auburn athletics as the Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach for the football team. From 1986 to 1988 he was a graduate assistant football coach. He was named Conditioning Coach in 1988.
He moved into the Athletics Department office in 1991 when he became Assistant Athletics Director. In 1994, he was made Associate Athletics Director for Operations. In 2001, he was named Senior Associate Athletics Director where he was in charge of Tigers Unlimited. From 2005 to 2018 he has served as the Athletics Director.
2008 football coaching change
In December 2008, Jacobs came under considerable criticism for the resignation of head football coach Tommy Tuberville and subsequent hiring of former Iowa State football coach, Gene Chizik.
The public perception of the 2008 coaching search was so negative  that it created a groundswell of opposition to Jacobs by many Auburn fans, students and alumni. However, Jacobs was later vindicated when Chizik, in his second year, won the 2011 BCS National Championship Game.
2010 basketball coaching change
In March 2010, Jacobs dismissed former Auburn men's basketball coach Jeff Lebo. Lebo had been at Auburn for six years, had a losing record, and his teams had failed to make the NCAA Tournament in any season. Jacobs replaced him with Tony Barbee.
- "AUBURNTIGERS.COM :: Auburn University Official Athletic Site". www.auburntigers.com. Archived from the original on November 13, 2017. Retrieved November 19, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- editor was a high school classmate. Perhaps yearbook.com might allow a reference...
- "AUBURNTIGERS.COM Jay Jacobs Bio :: Auburn University Official Athletic Site". Retrieved November 19, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Langhammer, Jay (Spring–Summer 1984). "Sigma Pi Sports" (PDF). The Emerald of Sigma Pi. Vol. 72 no. 1. pp. 16–17.
- "Former Auburn AD Jay Jacobs joins UF's staff". Orlando Sentinel. June 5, 2018.
- "Auburn University students protest treatment of Tommy Tuberville - ESPN". ESPN.com.
- http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-fbc-auburn-tubervillebd,0,4640983.story[dead link]
- https://web.archive.org/web/20081212104806/http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/12/09/auburn.protest.ap/index.html. Archived from the original on December 12, 2008. Retrieved December 17, 2008. Missing or empty
|title=(help)CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Local News - Columbus Ledger Enquirer". ledger-enquirer.com. Archived from the original on January 28, 2013. Retrieved December 16, 2008.
- "Mark Schlabach: Auburn Tigers downgrade in hiring Gene Chizik - ESPN". ESPN.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 12, 2012. Retrieved December 17, 2008. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Charles Barkley outraged by Auburn Tigers' hiring of Gene Chizik - ESPN". ESPN.com.
- "Auburn fires Gene Chizik after 3-9 season". Yahoo News. November 25, 2012.