Jay Laurence Lush
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Jay L. Lush|
January 3, 1896|
|Died||May 22, 1982(aged 86)|
|Institutions||Iowa State University|
|Alma mater||Kansas State Agricultural College (B.Sc.)
Kansas State ( M.Sc.) (1918)
University of Wisconsin–Madison ( Ph.D) (1922)
|Doctoral advisor||Leon J. Cole|
|Known for||Quantitative genetics|
|Influences||Sewall Wright; Sir R. A. Fisher|
|Notable awards||National Medal of Science (1968)
Wolf Prize in Agriculture (1979)
Jay Laurence Lush (January 3, 1896 – May 22, 1982) was a pioneering animal geneticist who made important contributions to livestock breeding. He is sometimes known as the father of modern scientific animal breeding. Lush received National Medal of Science in 1968 and the Wolf Prize in 1979.
Lush was introduced to mathematics and genetics during his B.Sc. studies of animal husbandry at the Kansas State Agricultural College (now Kansas State University). He completed his M.Sc. in 1918 at Kansas State, and his Ph.D. in genetics at the University of Wisconsin–Madison (1922).
Lush advocated breeding not based on subjective appearance of the animal, but on quantitative statistics and genetic information. Lush authored a classic book 'Animal Breeding Plans' in 1937 which greatly influenced animal breeding around the world.
Lush won the Borden Award for research in dairy production from the American Dairy Science Association and both the Armour Award for animal breeding and genetics and the Morrison Award from the American Society of Animal Science. In 1979, he was awarded the Wolf Prize in Agriculture.
- Lush, J.L. (1943). Animal Breeding Plans. Collegiate Press, Ames.
- "J. L. Lush 1896 - 1982 Biographical Memoirs of the AAAS".
- "1979 Wolf Prize citation".
- Chapman, A. B. (1 July 1991). "Jay Laurence Lush 1896-1982: a brief biography". Journal of Animal Science. 69 (7): 2671–2676. ISSN 0021-8812. PMID 1885379.
- "US NSF — The President's National Medal of Science: Jay L. Lush". Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- "Jay Laurence Lush". Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- "Award Presentation — Dr J.L. Lush" (pdf). Poultry Science Association, Inc. 1969. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- "Memorial: Dr. J. L. Lush". Journal of Animal Science. 55 (2): 462. 1 August 1982.
- Ollivier, L (October 2008). "Jay Lush: Reflections on the past" (pdf). Lohmann Information. 43.
|This article about a biologist from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a geneticist or evolutionary biologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This agriculture article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|