August 14, 1972 |
Manuel was born in Springfield, Illinois to a mother of Italian and Czech descent and a South African father of Dutch and Malaysian descent. He was raised by adoptive parents in Toronto where he attended Dr Norman Bethune Collegiate Institute and York University. He is openly gay. He currently lives in Wilton, Connecticut.
He has worked in "the business of managing to aesthetic" for seven years. Manuel is known for his varied artistic palate and innate sense of aesthetics. He has worked as a makeup artist and stylist for Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Marie Claire, Victoria's Secret, Revlon, and CoverGirl. Manuel has also worked with noted fashion photographers such as Herb Ritts, Richard Avedon, Annie Leibovitz, and Francesco Scavullo. He has been a makeup artist and stylist to celebrities such as Tyra Banks, Naomi Campbell, Iman, Alicia Silverstone, Rebecca Romijn, Rupert Everett, Bridget Moynahan, Angela Bassett, Jada Pinkett Smith, Mýa, Kim Cattrall, Natalie Cole, Toni Braxton, Garcelle Beauvais-Nilon, Vanessa Williams, Patti LaBelle, Rosario Dawson, Pink, David Bowie, and Jennifer Lopez. From 2003 to 2012, he was the creative director of photo shoots on Tyra Banks' America's Next Top Model. He was given the nickname "Mister Jay", a counterpart to J. Alexander's "Miss J". In April 2012, he was fired from ANTM by Tyra Banks along with Alexander and photographer Nigel Barker due to the show's plummeting ratings after 18 cycles.
In September 2006, he introduced his own make-up line, Manuel Override, on QVC. In 2011, Manuel released a clothing line for Sears Canada by the name of Attitude. Manuel launched premiere cosmetics line Jay Manuel Beauty in 2014 under Impala, Inc.
- "'In a taxi with… America's Next Top Model star Jay Manuel". Daily Mail. January 24, 2009. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- "'America's Next Top Model' chat". USA Today. December 15, 2004. Retrieved November 28, 2008.
- Martin, Denise. (November 18, 2008). "TV: Looking 'Fabulous' with Mr. and Miss J". Los Angeles Times/The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved November 28, 2008.
- 04/20/2012 9:04 am Updated: 04/20/2012 9:14 am (2012-04-20). "'America's Next Top Model': Nigel Barker, Jay Manuel, J. Alexander Fired From Series". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Tyra Banks fires Nigel Barker, J. Alexander and Jay Manuel in America's Next Top Model shake-up | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. 2012-04-20. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Fired 'Top Model' Judge Nigel Barker - Good Luck Replacing Me". TMZ.com. 2012-04-20. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Jay Manuel showed some Attitude yesterday in Toronto. View the photos! «". Fashionmagazine.com. 2011-09-21. Retrieved 2013-03-05.