August 14, 1972 |
Manuel was born in Springfield, Illinois to a mother of Italian and Czech descent and a South African father of Dutch and Malaysian descent. He was raised by adoptive parents in Toronto where he attended Dr Norman Bethune Collegiate Institute and York University. He is openly gay. He currently lives in Wilton, Connecticut.
Manuel began his career as a make-up artist with clients such as Tyra Banks and Iman. In September 2006, he introduced his own make-up line, Manuel Override, on QVC. From 2003 to 2012, he was the creative director of photo shoots on Tyra Banks' America's Next Top Model. He was given the nickname "Mister Jay", a counterpart to J. Alexander's "Miss J". In April 2012, he was fired from ANTM by Tyra Banks along with Alexander and photographer Nigel Barker due to the show's plummeting ratings after 18 cycles.
Manuel launched premiere cosmetics line Jay Manuel Beauty in 2014 under Impala, Inc.
- "'In a taxi with… America's Next Top Model star Jay Manuel". Daily Mail. January 24, 2009. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- "'America's Next Top Model' chat". USA Today. December 15, 2004. Retrieved November 28, 2008.
- Martin, Denise. (November 18, 2008). "TV: Looking 'Fabulous' with Mr. and Miss J". Los Angeles Times/The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved November 28, 2008.
- 04/20/2012 9:04 am Updated: 04/20/2012 9:14 am (2012-04-20). "'America's Next Top Model': Nigel Barker, Jay Manuel, J. Alexander Fired From Series". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Tyra Banks fires Nigel Barker, J. Alexander and Jay Manuel in America's Next Top Model shake-up | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. 2012-04-20. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Fired 'Top Model' Judge Nigel Barker - Good Luck Replacing Me". TMZ.com. 2012-04-20. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Jay Manuel showed some Attitude yesterday in Toronto. View the photos! «". Fashionmagazine.com. 2011-09-21. Retrieved 2013-03-05.