Jay Manuel at Custo Barcelona - Front Row - Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Spring 2014
August 14, 1972|
|Occupation||TV Host, Entrepreneur, Creative Director|
Jay Manuel (born August 14, 1972) is an American -born Canadian TV host, Creative Director and Make-up Artist. He is most recognizable as the former Creative Director on the popular reality television show America's Next Top Model. Manuel also was featured as the host of Canada's Next Top Model.
Manuel is the Founder and CEO of the beauty line, Jay Manuel Beauty. In 2017, the brand opened its first retail location at Roosevelt Field Mall, a partnership with Simon. Later that year, he was one of the judges for Miss Universe 2017.
He has worked in "the business of managing to aesthetic" for seven years. Manuel is known for his varied artistic palate and innate sense of aesthetics. He has worked as a makeup artist and stylist for Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Marie Claire, Victoria's Secret, Revlon, and CoverGirl. Manuel has also worked with noted fashion photographers such as Herb Ritts, Richard Avedon, Annie Leibovitz, and Francesco Scavullo. He has been a makeup artist and stylist to celebrities such as Tyra Banks, Naomi Campbell, Iman, Alicia Silverstone, Rebecca Romijn, Rupert Everett, Bridget Moynahan, Angela Bassett, Jada Pinkett Smith, Mýa, Kim Cattrall, Natalie Cole, Toni Braxton, Garcelle Beauvais-Nilon, Vanessa Williams, Patti LaBelle, Rosario Dawson, Pink, David Bowie, and Jennifer Lopez.
Manuel joined America's Next Top Model in its first cycle in 2003 as the Creative Director. For nine years, Manuel featured on every cycle of the show, becoming one of the biggest shows in the United States during this period. After 18 seasons with the show, Nigel Barker and J. Alexander didn't return for the 19th cycle as their contracts were not renewed. Following the announcement, Manuel decided to leave the show. The controversial move by Tyra Banks led to a media frenzy around Manuel and the show. The radical personnel change didn't work and the show was cancelled three years later, being renewed on December 12, 2016 on VH1.
Manuel was the host and lead judge of the second and third cycles of Canada's Next Top Model, a spin-off to ANTM. He also made a cameo appearance in Degrassi Takes Manhattan, as well as playing himself in an episode of the comedy-drama television series Being Erica.
In 2011, Manuel released a clothing line for Sears Canada by the name of Attitude. In 2014, Manuel launched Jay Manuel Beauty, a prestige line of cosmetics based on a new Filter Finish Collection technology. Manuel was announced as a judge for the Miss Universe 2017 beauty pageant in early 2017. He was one of the six final judges who crowned Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters as Miss Universe 2017 at the event in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Beauty & clothing collections
Manuel's beauty range was launched with the support of supermodel-turned-entrepreneur, Iman, in 2015 and distributed by her company Impala Inc. According to an interview in Essence magazine, Manuel and Iman met during the 1990s when he was recommended to do Iman’s makeup for a cover shoot.
Jay Manuel Beauty launched in 2014 and the collection consists of a range of products aimed to create a high definition finish, aimed at the younger generation. In numerous interviews Manuel has stated that he wanted to introduce products that gave an Instagram filter finish, without the need for a filter. In March 2015 Jay Manuel beauty was launched on HSN. In July 2016, it was announced that the beauty range would debut on the UK's QVC shopping channel in September of that year.
In 2017, Manuel announced that he was moving into the retail sector with a range of beauty stores. The move was announced along with an exclusive partnership with Simon and its shopping centers. Manuel stated in an interview that they were to open their first bricks and mortar location at Roosevelt Field Mall.
Instead of going down the traditional makeup route of signing a partnership with a department store or a well-known retailer like Sephora, Jay Manuel Beauty would operate physical stores. They would be known as the "Jay Manuel Beauty Retail Experience." This was the first time the brand was available at a physical location. Previously all the Jay Manuel Beauty products had been available for purchase via the Home Shopping Network and QVC only.
The first location opened November 16, Garden City, NY, with more Simon-based locations to open during 2018. Women's Wear Daily estimated that the success of the brand could lead to revenues of $1 million from this store's first year. The concept behind each of the stores was to improve the experience of the shopper. This would be done through a variety of techniques, including technology drives to improve customer experience.
He has hosted the GLAAD Media Awards and also hosted Fashion Cares in Toronto, which benefits AIDS research. Manuel also hosted the American Image Awards, benefitting the Boys and Girls Clubs of America.
- Live Broadcast of the Wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle for BBC / Britbox (2018)
- Miss Universe 2017 (2017)
- Fashion News Live (Vintage) (2016-2017)
- Entertainment Tonight (2016)
- Fashion News Live (2006-2016)
- Patti LaBelle's Place (2016)
- The Wendy Williams Show (2011, 2015)
- The Meredith Vieira Show (2015)
- Fashion Rocks (2014)
- NBC’s Today Show (2014)
- FNL's Flashback Friday (2014)
- CBS This Morning (2013)
- CTV’s Live Oscar Red Carpet (2013)
- The View (2013)
- NBC’s Open House (2013)
- America's Next Top Model (2003-2012)
- CTV’s The Marilyn Denis Show (2011, 2012)
- Access Hollywood (2010, 2011)
- Alexis Joy VIP Access (2011)
- The Nate Berkus Show (2011)
- Fashion Police (2006 - 2010)
- CNN The Joy Behar Show (2010)
- Degrassi Takes Manhattan (2010)
- Being Erica (2010)
- Project Runway (2010)
- The Tyra Banks Show (2007-2010)
- Teenage Paparazzo (2010)
- MTV’s When I Was 17 (2010)
- Canada's Next Top Model (2006-2009)
- Style Her Famous (2006-2009)
- E! Live from the Red Carpet (2006-2009)
- MTV’s 106 & Park (2009)
- Chelsea Lately (2009)
- Giuliana and Bill (2009)
- Operation Fabulous (2009)
- Loose Women (2008)
- Live! with Kelly (2008)
- Paula's Party (2008)
- GLAAD Media Awards (2007)
- Peep: A Fashion Cares Special (2007)
- Much Music Video Music Awards (2006, 2007)
- Dress My Nest (2007)
- E! True Hollywood Story (2005, 2006)
- I Love the '80s 3-D (2005)
- Exposed: 25 Most Notorious Moments of Fashion Week (2005)
- Eve (2005)
Manuel was born in Springfield, Illinois to a mother of Italian and Czech descent and a South African father of mixed Cape Malay descent. He was raised by adoptive parents in Toronto where he attended Dr Norman Bethune Collegiate Institute and York University. Before entering the fashion industry, Manuel was a pre-med student and also studied opera.
- "Jay Manuel to host 'Canada's Next Top Model'". CTV News. 2007-05-10. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "Jay Manuel: In control with manual override". Beauty News New York City. 2006-11-01. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "Jay Manuel". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- Douglas, Ana (August 2, 2012). "WHERE ARE THEY NOW: The Most Memorable Winners & Losers From 'America's Next Top Model'". Business Insider.
- 04/20/2012 9:04 am Updated: 04/20/2012 9:14 am (2012-04-20). "'America's Next Top Model': Nigel Barker, Jay Manuel, J. Alexander Fired From Series". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Tyra Banks fires Nigel Barker, J. Alexander and Jay Manuel in America's Next Top Model shake-up | Mail Online". Daily Mail. 2012-04-20. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Fired 'Top Model' Judge Nigel Barker - Good Luck Replacing Me". TMZ. 2012-04-20. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- Bellino, Damian (October 20, 2016). "The reinvented America's Next Top Model cycle 23 will premiere on December 12th". VH1. Retrieved October 20, 2016.
- Friedlander, Whitney (October 14, 2015). "'America's Next Top Model' to End After This Season". Variety.
- "Being Erica recap, episode 10: wherein Erica neglects to wash her hands after peeing (and Jenny returns!)". Toronto Life. 2011-12-06. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "Jay Manuel showed some Attitude yesterday in Toronto. View the photos! «". Fashionmagazine.com. 2011-09-21. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "When is Miss Universe 2017". Hollywood Life. November 24, 2017.
- "The Latest: Contestant from South Africa wins Miss Universe". Washington Post. November 27, 2017.
- Rajab, Tahar (November 27, 2017). "Miss South Africa Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters wins title of Miss Universe". Evening Standard.
- Harvie, Kate (November 2006). "Jay Manuel: In Control with Manual Override". Beauty News NYC.
- "Gallery: 67 looks from Jay Manuel's Attitude by Sears spring/summer 2012 runway". Toronto Life. October 19, 2011.
- Anderson, Tyler (March 31, 2011). "Jay Manuel's Attitude for Sears Collection". Montreal Gazette.
- Boyd, Sarah (November 11, 2015). "Jay Manuel Makes Beauty A Breeze With His Namesake Cosmetic Line". Forbes.
- "When Iman decided that she wanted to take on another beauty line she looked to none other than beauty and style expert, Jay Manuel". Essence Magazine. 2013-06-23. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- Parks, Chanel (February 18, 2015). "Jay Manuel's New Makeup Line Will Make You Instagram Perfect, Without The Filter". Huffington Post.
- "Jay Manuel Beauty to launch on QVC UK". Cosmetic Business. July 21, 2016.
- Thomas, Kate (October 26, 2017). "Supermodel Iman, 61, stuns in a purple silk shirt and a pink velvet blazer as she makes rare red carpet appearance at star-studded beauty bash". Daily Mail.
- Thomas, Ellen (October 25, 2017). "Iman, Jay Manuel Beauty Team With Simon on Experiential Retail Concept". Women's Wear Daily.
- "Johnson & Johnson Commits $25 Million to Operation Smile". Operation Smile. May 18, 2015.
- "Jay Manuel Talks Style, 'ANTM,' Makeup Line, New Movie And More At Dress For Success Gala: Exclusive Interview". Fashion & Style magazine. April 17, 2015.
- Balser, Erin (April 27, 2008). "Jay Manuel at GLAAD Media Awards". Alloy.com.
- "Jay Manuel". Huffington Post.
- "'In a taxi with… America's Next Top Model star Jay Manuel". Daily Mail. January 24, 2009. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- "'America's Next Top Model' chat". USA Today. December 15, 2004. Retrieved November 28, 2008.
- Martin, Denise. (November 18, 2008). "TV: Looking 'Fabulous' with Mr. and Miss J". Los Angeles Times/The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved November 28, 2008.