Bigger and Deffer
|Bigger and Deffer|
|Studio album by LL Cool J|
|Released||May 29, 1987|
|Studio||Chung King House of Metal
(New York City)
|Genre||Golden age hip hop|
|Label||Def Jam, Columbia, CBS Records
CK 40793 (North America)
|Producer||LL Cool J, L.A. Posse, DJ Pooh|
|LL Cool J chronology|
|Singles from Bigger and Deffer|
Bigger and Deffer (BAD) is the second studio album by rapper LL Cool J and is remembered most for containing the first commercially successful "rap ballad", "I Need Love". It also contains the single "Go Cut Creator Go", which paid homage to his DJ, and the breakthrough single in the U.K. "I'm Bad". With over 3 million copies sold in the United States alone, it stands as LL Cool J's biggest career album.
In 1998, the album was selected as one of The Source's 100 Best Rap Albums, while receiving mixed reviews from other critics. The front cover photograph on the album was taken in front of Andrew Jackson High School in Queens (which LL Cool J attended before dropping out in the 10th or 11th grade), and the back cover was shot in his grandmother's basement where he was living at the time. Both images were shot by Glen E. Friedman.
All tracks written by J.T. Smith, Bobby Ervin, Darryl Pierce and Dwayne Simon, except where noted.
- "I'm Bad" – 4:39
- "Kanday" – 3:59
- "Get Down" – 3:23
- "The Bristol Hotel" – 2:43
- "My Rhyme Ain't Done" – 3:45
- ".357 – Break It On Down" (Smith/Mark Jordan/Ervin/Pierce/Simon) – 4:05
- "Go Cut Creator Go" – 3:57
- "The Breakthrough" – 4:04
- "I Need Love" (Simon/Steven Ettenger/Ervin/Smith) – 5:23
- "Ahh, Let's Get Ill" – 3:45
- "The Do Wop" – 4:59
- "On the Ill Tip (Skit)" – 0:31
|James Todd Smith a.k.a. LL Cool J||vocals, producer|
|Bobby "Bobcat" Ervin||disc jockey|
|Russell Simmons||production supervisor|
|Steven Ett||engineer, mixing|
|Chuck Vale||assistant engineer|
|L.A. Posse (Darryl Pierce, Dwayne Simon, and Bobby Erving)||additional vocals, producer|
|Nelson George||liner notes|
|Glen E. Friedman||liner photography|
|Dutch Albums Chart||28|
|German Albums Chart||35|
|New Zealand Albums Chart||23|
|UK Albums Chart||54|
|US Billboard 200||3|
|US Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums||1|
|"I Need Love"
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||50,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||3× Platinum||3,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- http://riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?content_selector=gold-platinum-searchable-database# Archived August 30, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- AllMusic review
- Christgau, Robert. "LL Cool J". Robert Christgau.
- Q review
- "Rhapsody review". rhapsody.com. Archived from the original on June 15, 2009. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- Brackett, Nathan; Hoard, Christian David (July 8, 2017). "The New Rolling Stone Album Guide". Simon and Schuster. Retrieved July 8, 2017 – via Google Books.
- LLC, SPIN Media (August 1, 1987). "SPIN". SPIN Media LLC. Retrieved July 8, 2017 – via Google Books.
- "TrouserPress.com :: LL Cool J". www.trouserpress.com. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- Yahoo! Music review
- BestofQueens2004 Archived February 7, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- DJ Bobcat
- "Canadian album certifications – LL Cool J – Bigger and Deffer". Music Canada.
- "American album certifications – LL Cool J – Bigger and Deffer". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH