|Other names||Jayaprakash Vijayan|
|Education||University of Madras (B.Sc., M.Sc.)|
|Alma mater||University of Madras|
|Years active||2007 – present|
|Title||Founder & CEO of Tekion Corp |
Former CIO of Tesla
|Board member of||HyreCar, NIC Inc.|
Jay Vijayan (born, Jayaprakash Vijayan) is an Indian-American entrepreneur, engineer, investor and business executive. He is the Founder and CEO of Tekion Corp, a California-based SaaS unicorn company that caters to the automotive retail industry. He is the former Chief Information Officer (CIO) for Tesla Inc., and reported directly to Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla. Prior to joining Tesla, Vijayan also held leadership roles at VMware and Oracle.
Early life and education
From 2007 to 2012, Vijayan worked at VMware, an American software company, as the director of Applications Development and later senior director of Business Applications, Information Technology. During his time at VMware, Vijayan led the technical implementation of VMware’s ERP and CRM systems among others.
Jay joined Tesla, Inc. (then name Tesla Motors) in 2012 as a Chief Information Officer. During his time as CIO, he was responsible for Tesla's Information Systems including applications, infrastructure, network and operations security, delivering systems solutions[buzzword] and supporting engineering. Jay and his team built several systems including Tesla's eCommerce, ERP, Service and Logistics systems.
In early 2016, Vijayan left Tesla to found Tekion Corp, a SaaS company that operated in stealth mode up until late 2019. Tekion is a cloud technology company focusing on business applications currently aimed at automobile retail industry. In 2020, Tekion Corp became a unicorn company after raising $150 million as part of its series C funding round led by private equity firm Advent International.
Awards and Recognitions
Vijayan received the Tamil American Pioneer – Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Engineering/Science by the Federation of Tamil Sangams of North American in July 2014. He was part of the Executive Advisory Council for AT&T and the CIO Advisory Council for Microsoft. Jay also serves on the board of the HyreCar, a peer-to-peer car sharing marketplace and NIC Inc., a digital government service provider for federal and state governments of the United States.
- "Jay Vijayan. Board Members - HyreCar".
- "Who We Are. Board Members - NIC Inc".
- "Tesla Motors CIO Leaves to Launch Stealth Startup".
- Mathur, Nandita (21 October 2020). "Tekion joins the unicorn club". mint. Retrieved 22 October 2020.
- "Meet Jayaprakash Vijayan - The man who keeps Tesla charged up".
- Ahmad, Samreen (21 October 2020). "Former Tesla CIO Jay Vijayan's start-up Tekion joins unicorn club". Business Standard India. Retrieved 23 January 2021.
- "How Jay Vijayan—a Politician's Son, Geology Grad And Former Tesla Techie—built The World's Newest Unicorn". Forbes India. Retrieved 21 January 2021.
- "Tech Guru Jay Vijayan". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 21 January 2021.
- "Executive Speaker Series with CIO of Tesla Motors". Saint Mary's College. Retrieved 21 January 2021.
- "Longtime Tesla Motors CIO Jay Vijayan has formed a stealth startup".
- Mathur, Nandita (21 October 2020). "Tekion joins the unicorn club". mint. Retrieved 21 January 2021.
- "Tekion turns unicorn with $150 million funding led by Advent International". The Economic Times. Retrieved 21 January 2021.
- "Jay Vijayan : TiECon Midwest 2016". archive.tiecondetroit.org. Retrieved 21 January 2021.
- "Jay Vijayan | Board Member | HyreCar". ir.hyrecar.com. Retrieved 21 January 2021.
- "About NIC (EGOV) and eGovernment Solutions | NIC". www.egov.com. Retrieved 5 February 2021.