Jayam (2003 film)
|Directed by||M. Raja|
|Produced by||M. Varalakshmi
|Written by||Prasanna Kumar (dialogues)|
|Music by||R. P. Patnaik|
|Edited by||Editor Mohan|
M. L. Movie Aarts
|13 June 2003|
Jayam (English: Victory) is a 2003 Tamil romantic action film directed by M. Raja. It featured Ravi and Sadha in their first Tamil ventures respectively, with the success of the film prompting the actor to retain the film's title as a prefix to his stage name. It also featured Senthil, Gopichand, Mayilsamy, Suman Setty and Ramesh Khanna in supporting roles. A remake of the successful Telugu film with the same title, Jayam became a commercial and critical success at the box office.
The story is centered in a village where the parents of first cousins Sujatha (Sadha) and Raghu (Gopichand) decide that they will be married to each other when they become adults. As a child, Sujatha's uncle gives her anklets, which she wears as she grows up. As they grow older, Raghu is caught smuggling money from his house. At school, Raghu beats up a kid for talking to Sujatha. They quarrel, and soon Raghu's family leaves for another village.
Sujatha grows to be an attractive college student while the villain Raghu becomes a good-for-nothing character. On her way to college, Sujatha meets Ravi (Jayam Ravi), a poor, handsome, charming, enthusiastic young man. He asks her to wear her anklets to college again, and soon after their quarrels they fall in love. Meanwhile, Raghu’s parents, hoping that he will become a responsible person after marriage, decide to carry out his marriage with Sujatha. The whole story takes a turn when Sujatha’s parents learn about her love affair with Ravi. On the day of her marriage, Sujatha elopes with Ravi and the action heats up as they are chased by Raghu and his thugs.
Finally, the villain Raghu is defeated in a face-to-face combat with Ravi, and Ravi marries Sujatha.
- Jayam Ravi as Ravi
- Sadha as Sujatha
- Kalyani as Kalyani (Sujatha's sister)
- Rajeev as Sujatha's Father
- Pragathi as Sujatha's Mother
- Gopichand as Raghu
- Nizhalgal Ravi as Raghu's Father
- Senthil as Maadasamy
- Suman Setty as Alibaba
- Nalini as Raghu's Mother
- Ramesh Khanna
- Shakeela as College Professor
- Reshmi Menon as Young Sujatha
- "Kanamoochi" - Shankar Mahadevan
- "Kavithayae Theriyuma" - Harini, Manicka Vinayagam, R.P. Patnaik
- "Thiruvizhannu Vantha" - Tippu, Gowri, Raja, Ravi
- "Vandi Vandi Railu Vandi" - Tippu, Manicka Vinayagam
- "Kaathal Kaathal" - Karthik
- "Kaathal Thandha Vali" - Karthik, Ganga
- "Kodi Kodi Minnalgal" - Vijay Yesudas
- "Jayam Movie songs from Raaga.com". Retrieved 8 February 2012.