This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Jayanagar (officially Jayanagara) is a residential and commercial neighbourhood in Bangalore, India. It is one of the zones of Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike. It is sub-divided into seven wards.
It is surrounded by Basavanagudi, JP Nagar, Wilson Garden, Banashankari 2nd stage, Gurappanapalya, Suddaguntepalya and BTM Layout among other areas. It is in proximity to the Lalbagh Botanical Gardens. Jayanagar has 10 area blocks (including 4th 'T' Block), of which the 3rd and 4th blocks are largely commercial hubs, while the rest are mostly residential.
In Kannada, Jayanagar splits into Jaya and nagar literally meaning Victory City. It is not definitively known why that is. One school of thought is that Jaya comes from Mysore's Maharaja Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar.
Jayanagar was traditionally regarded as the southern end of Bangalore. The "South End Circle", where six roads meet, and the historic Ashoka Pillar (which was to mark the southern end) bear this fact. While newer extensions have taken away this distinction from Jayanagar, it remains one of the more southern parts of the city.
In 1976, during the regime of D. Devaraj Urs, another iconic structure was added to Jayanagar, the Jayanagar BDA Shopping complex. It also housed the famous Puttanna Kanagal theatre. There was a fire in 2008. Later a new development project was initiated in 2011-2012 during the tenure of B. S. Yediyurappa and B. N. Vijaya Kumar worth around 193 crores that also involved demolishing the Puttanna Kanagal theatre.
Schools and Colleges
Notable schools and colleges in Jayanagar include
- National College, Bangalore
- R. V. Pre University College
- Vijaya College, Bangalore
- Vijaya High school
- Jayanagar General Hospital
- Manipal Hospital
- Apollo Speciality Hospitals
- Cloudnine Hospital
- Chirag Hospital
- Keva Ayurveda Healthcare Pvt Ltd
- CB Physiotherapy Clinic
- Prakash Belawadi, national award-winning filmmaker
- Bharathi, Kannada actress
- B. S. Chandrasekhar, former Indian cricketer, leg spinner
- Shashi Deshpande, writer
- V. V. Giri, former president of India
- Puttanna Kanagal, Kannada movie director
- Anil Kumble, Cricketer
- N. R. Narayana Murthy, Infosys founder
- Sudha Murty, Writer, Teacher, Philanthropist, Infosys Foundation Chairperson
- Bhargavi Narayan, Kannada actress
- Raja Ramanna, nuclear physicist
- S. K. Ramachandra Rao, scholar
- Tara, actress and politician
- G. Venkatasubbiah, Kannada writer, Grammarian, editor, lexicographer
- Vishnuvardhan, Kannada actor
- "Bangalore PIN codes". Retrieved 14 October 2012.
- RANGANNA, T. S. (26 April 2013). "Old-world charm sadly eroded". The Hindu. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Jayanagar on top, E-city comes last in survey". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- T. S. Ranganna (26 April 2013). "Old-world charm sadly eroded". The Hindu. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- Roofandfloor (14 August 2017). "The top five expensive neighbourhoods in Bangalore". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- Kurien, Anila (18 May 2020). "Jayanagar shopping complex comes to life at last". Deccan Herald. Archived from the original on 18 May 2020. Retrieved 18 May 2020.
- "Puttanna theatre to be razed soon". Deccan Herald. 29 June 2012. Archived from the original on 5 July 2012. Retrieved 18 May 2020.