Jayne Gackenbach is a writer and dream researcher whose focus is lucid dreaming and other altered states of consciousness. She was trained as an experimental psychologist (PhD Virginia Commonwealth University, 1978) and went on to research at the University of Northern Iowa for 11 years before immigrating to Canada. She is a former president of the International Association for the Study of Dreams
She currently teaches full-time at MacEwan University and part-time at Athabasca University in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. She is also an adjunct faculty with Saybrook Graduate School and Research Center. She is the author of several books on dreaming and the Internet. Her most recent research interest is in video game players and the development of consciousness.
- Sleep and Dreams: A Sourcebook. Garland Publishers (1986). Ed.
- Conscious Mind, Sleeping Brain. Plenum Publishers (1988). Ed. with Dr. Stephen LaBerge.
- Control Your Dreams. Harper-Collins (1989). With Jane Bosveld.
- Dream Imagery: A Call to Mental Arms. Baywood Publishers (1991). Ed.
- Psychology and the Internet: Intrapersonal, Interpersonal and Transpersonal Implications. Academic Press (1998). Ed.
two books due out in 2006:
with Joanie Gillispie, "cyber.rules" from Norton and as editor for the second edition of "Psychology and the Internet" Academic Press
- The International Associations for the Study of Dreams website: http://www.asdreams.org
- A short biography of Jayne Gackenbach: http://www.spiritwatch.ca/bio.htm