Jasmine (given name)
Jasmine is derived from the name of the flower jasmine.
|Word/name||Persian, Old French|
Gift from God, God's gift,From the name of the flower, jasmine
|Related names||Yasmin, یاسمین, یاسمن ، Jasmin, Jasmina, Jessamine, Ismenia, Jaslyn, Jaslynn, Jasmyn, Jassmine|
Jasmine is a feminine given name. It refers to the scented flowering plant, jasmine. It is originated from Persian یاسمین or یاسمن, which means the Yas flower. The name has been popular in a number of countries in recent years. In the United States, it first entered the top 1,000 list of most popular names in 1973. It has remained among the top 100 names given to American girls since 1986, and was ranked at No. 43 in 2008. Variant Yasemin was the most popular name given to baby girls born in Turkey in 2008–2009. Variant Yasmin was ranked among the top 10 names given to Brazilian girls in 2009 and is also very popular in Israel, and variant Jazmín (pronounced Hasmin) was among the top 5 names given to girls in Córdoba, Argentina in 2009. Variant Jázmin is in among the top 10 names given to girls born in Hungary. Variant Yasmine is popular in Brussels, Belgium.
People with the given name
- Jasmine (American singer), an American singer-songwriter
- Jasmine (Finnish singer), a Finnish singer and Eurovision Song Contest participant
- Jasmine (Japanese singer), a Japanese singer
- Jasmine (Taiwanese singer), the English name of Taiwanese singer Ting Chu
- Jasmine Armfield, actress most known for playing Rebecca Fowler in the BBC soap opera Eastenders.
- Jasmine Fiore, Canadian model and murder victim
- Jasmine Guinness, an Irish designer and fashion model
- Jasmine Harman, an English TV presenter
- Jasmine Lennard, an English TV personality
- Jasmin Mäntylä, a Finnish model and singer
- Jasmine Richards, a Canadian actress
- Jasmin St. Claire, a porn star and wrestler
- Jasmine Thompson, a British singer-songwriter
- Jasmine Trias, a Filipino American singer
- Jasmine Twitty, an African-American municipal judge
- Jasmine You (1979–2009), a Japanese musician
- Jasmine Villegas, an American teen R&B pop singer
- Jasmin Walia, a British Indian actress
- Birdy (musician), real name Jasmine van den Bogaerde, a British musician
- Ibn al-Yasamin, was a Moroccan mathematician. (died in 1204)
People with the surname
- Jasmine (family), a prominent American entrepreneurial and philanthropic family
- Richard Jazmin, guitarist for American rock band Powerman 5000
- Princess Jasmine of Agrabah, the princess in Disney's Aladdin
- Jasmine (Buffyverse), a character on the television series Angel
- Jasmine (Pokémon), a character in the Pokémon universe
- Jasmine (aka Marika Reimon), main character from the 2004 Japanese tokusatsu television series, Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger
- Jasmine Thomas, a character from the soap opera Emmerdale
- Jasmine and Meddy, characters from Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman
- Jasmine "Jazz" Fenton, the sister of the protagonist in Danny Phantom
- Jeanette "Jasmine" Francis, main character from the 2013 movie Blue Jasmine
- Jasmine, a forest girl from Emily Rodda's Deltora series
- Jasmine, a lioness from the movie Secondhand Lions
- Jasmine, a superaging woman who dies in two days in the film Life in a Day
- Agent Jasmine Fuji, a police officer in Pretty Little Liars
- Mike Campbell. "Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Jasmine". Behind the Name. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Popular Baby Names". Socialsecurity.gov. 2009-08-26. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Ranking 2009". Brasil.babycenter.com. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "BenjamĂn afianza su reinado entre los bebĂŠs varones". LAVOZ.com.ar. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "2008: Emma en Noah zijn de populairste voornamen" (in Dutch). Statbel.fgov.be. 2009-11-23. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|