|Founder||Judi Sheppard Missett|
|Revenue||$93 million for fiscal year 2015|
Number of employees
|228 corporate staff|
|Divisions||Jazzercise Apparel, JM DigitalWorks|
|Website||www.jazzercise.com Jazzercise YouTube channel|
Jazzercise is a dance fitness franchise company founded by Judi Sheppard Missett in 1969 and headquartered in Carlsbad, California, United States.
Jazzercise combines dance, strength, and resistance training with popular music for a full-body workout. The company currently has over 8,300 franchisees worldwide in 32 countries.
Judi Sheppard Missett created Jazzercise in Chicago, Illinois in 1969 as a student at Northwestern University. She was teaching at a dance studio and noticed her classes had high dropout rates. Realizing students were attending for physical fitness and not to become highly technically proficient in dance, Shepard Missett began to hold "just for fun" classes that began with a jazz warmup. These classes were eventually renamed "Jazzercise."
Growth and franchising
Sheppard Missett's family moved to Carlsbad, California, where she taught classes in local rec centers. Jazzercise quickly took off in San Diego and Sheppard Missett trained new instructors herself. Many of those first instructors were in military families, so as they moved around the country, and the world, new populations were continually introduced to the program. Initially using VHS videos, Sheppard Missett was able to train franchisees from a distance and began to sell franchise rights for Jazzercise studios across the country.
Jazzercise in popular media
On The Golden Girls, Bea Arthur (Dorothy) admits taking up Jazzercise in the episodes "The Stan Who Came to Dinner" and "The Audit".
The Flight of the Conchords episode "New Zealand Town" of their second television series features a song called "Fashion is Danger", which is a parody of 1980s music and style, and contains a reference to Jazzercise.
"Jazzercise Instructor" is featured as a job in The Sims 2.
In the third series of The Mighty Boosh, Howard Moon goes to Jazzercise classes.
In the Glee episode "Bad Reputation", a tape is found of Sue Sylvester Jazzercising to Olivia Newton-John's "Physical". In the following season's episode "Sexy", Holly Holliday is shown teaching a jazzercise class in which Will Schuester participates.
In the ABC hit show The Goldbergs, Beverly Goldberg is frequently portrayed referencing or stepping to Jazzercise.
-  Archived January 4, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/entertainment/2000/11/17/2000-11-17_jim_carrey_makes_one_mean_gr.html. Retrieved September 22, 2009. Missing or empty
- ""Futurama" Parasites Lost (TV Episode 2001)". IMDb. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Watch The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Online - Free at Hulu". Hulu. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- http://people.com/bodies/half-their-size-weight-loss-jazzercise/. Missing or empty
- https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/features/a14626590/history-boutique-fitness/. Missing or empty
- https://twitter.com/glownetflix?lang=en. Missing or empty