|Born||May 29, 1957|
|Died||September 3, 2016 (aged 59)|
|Alma mater||École Normale Supérieure|
|Known for||Dynamical systems|
|Awards||Salem Prize (1988)|
Fields Medal (1994)
|Institutions||Centre de mathématiques Laurent-Schwartz|
Paris-Sud 11 University
Collège de France
|Doctoral advisor||Michael Herman|
|Doctoral students||Sylvain Crovisier|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jean-Christophe Yoccoz.|
Yoccoz attended the Lycée Louis-le-Grand, during which time he was a silver medalist at the 1973 International Mathematical Olympiad and a gold medalist in 1974. He entered the École Normale Supérieure in 1975, and completed an agrégation in mathematics in 1977. After completing military service in Brazil, he completed his Ph.D. under Michael Herman in 1985 at Centre de mathématiques Laurent-Schwartz, which is a research unit jointly operated by the French National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS) and Ecole polytechnique. He took up a position at the University of Paris-Sud in 1987, and became a professor at the Collège de France in 1997, where he remained until his death. He was a member of Bourbaki.
Yoccoz won the Salem Prize in 1988. He was an invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in 1990 at Kyoto, and was awarded the Fields Medal at the International Congress of Mathematicians in 1994 in Zürich. He joined the French Academy of Sciences and Brazilian Academy of Sciences in 1994, became a chevalier in the French Legion of Honor in 1995, and was awarded the Grand Cross of the Brazilian National Order of Scientific Merit in 1998.
Yoccoz's worked on the theory of dynamical systems, his contributions include advances to KAM theory, and the introduction of the method of Yoccoz puzzles, a combinatorial technique which proved useful to the study of Julia sets.
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Jean-Christophe Yoccoz", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- "Le mathématicien Jean-Christophe Yoccoz est mort". Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- Administrator. "Des mathématiciens". Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "Jean-Christophe Yoccoz's results". International Mathematical Olympiad.
- "Jean-Christophe Yoccoz † › Heidelberg Laureate Forum". Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "Yoccoz biography". Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "Ciência se despede de matemático francês Jean-Christophe Yoccoz". Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- Jean-Christophe Yoccoz at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Mashaal, Maurice (2006), Bourbaki: a secret society of mathematicians, American Mathematical Society, p. 19, ISBN 978-0-8218-3967-6
- "International Mathematical Union (IMU)". Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "Fields Medals and Nevanlinna Prize 1994". Retrieved 6 September 2016.
|This article about a French mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|