Bradley at The White House - June 2013
|Thesis||The synthesis and reactivity of 2-benzylidenebenzocyclobutenones and derivatives (1993)|
|Doctoral advisor||Tony Durst|
Jean-Claude Bradley was a chemist who actively promoted Open Science in chemistry, including at the White House, for which he was awarded the Blue Obelisk award in 2007. He coined the term "Open Notebook science". He died in May 2014. A memorial symposium was held July 14, 2014 at Cambridge University, UK.
One outcome of his Open Notebook work is the collection of physicochemical properties of organic compounds he was studying. All of this data he made available as Open data under the CCZero license. For example, in 2009 Bradley et al. published their work on making solubility data of organic compounds available as Open data. Later, the melting point data set he collaborated on with Andrew Lang and Antony Williams was published with Figshare. Both data sets were also made available as books via the Lulu.com self-publishing platform.
He blogged extensively and contributed to at least 25 individual blogs. In an interview in 2008 with Bora Zivkovic titled "Doing Science Publicly", he spoke of his work and online presence. In 2010, he gave an extensive interview about the impact of Open Notebook science with Richard Poynder.
- C. Steinbeck, In Memory of Open Science Pioneer Jean-Claude Bradley, 2014, SteinBlog, http://www.steinbeck-molecular.de/steinblog/index.php/2014/05/14/in-memory-of-open-science-pioneer-jean-claude-bradley/
- Mourning Jean-Claude Bradley, PhD, Dept. of Chemistry, http://drexel.edu/coas/academics/departments-centers/chemistry/news/2014/May/mourning-jean-claude-bradley-department-of-chemistry/
- Bradley, J. C.; Neylon, C. (2008). "Data on display". Nature. 455 (7211): 273. doi:10.1038/455273a. PMID 18800097.
- Drahl, C. (2009). "Jean-Claude Bradley". Chemical & Engineering News. 87 (6): 34. doi:10.1021/cen-v087n006.p034.
- Kirsten Vannix, Chemistry Prof Presents at the White House, 23 July 2013, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-05-23. Retrieved 2014-05-23.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Blue Obelisk Awards". Retrieved 2019-04-22.
- Segaran, Toby; Hammerbacher, Jeff, eds. (2009). Beautiful Data: The Stories Behind Elegant Data Solutions. O'Reilly. ISBN 978-0596157111.
- Bradley, Jean-Claude; Williams, Antony; Lang, Andrew (2014-05-20). "Jean-Claude Bradley Open Melting Point Dataset". Figshare. doi:10.6084/m9.figshare.1031637.
- Lang, Andrew. Open Notebook Science Challenge: Solubilities Of Organic Compounds In Organic Solvents (3RD). ISBN 9780557318018.
- Lang, Andrew. Open Notebook Science Melting Point Data. ONSBooks. ISBN 9781257978045.
|Scholia has a profile for Q17021355 (Jean-Claude Bradley).|