|Full name||Jean-Joël Perrier-Doumbé|
|Date of birth||27 September 1978|
|Place of birth||Paris, France|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|2007||→ Celtic (loan)||4||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 9 May 2010.
Perrier-Doumbé started his career at Auxerre, making over 50 first-team appearances before moving to Rennes in 2004. He quickly became a first-team regular at the Stade de la Route de Lorient, making 27 appearances in Ligue 1 in the 2005–06 season.
However, the Cameroon international found first team opportunities limited during the first half of the 2006–07 campaign after missing the opening stages of the season due to an arm injury sustained in a pre-season friendly. The arrival of Dutch defender Mario Melchiot provided strong competition for the right-back berth and Perrier-Doumbé was linked with moves away.
Loan spell with Celtic
On 12 January 2007, it was reported that Perrier-Doumbé had been on trial with Celtic, while Premier League side Bolton Wanderers were also credited with an interest. On 25 January, it was confirmed that Perrier-Doumbé would join Celtic, initially on loan until the end of the season, with an option to sign for an additional two years after the completion of the loan.
On arrival at Celtic, Perrier-Doumbé found first team opportunities limited and began as a reserve team player. However, injuries to Mark Wilson and Gary Caldwell gave the Cameroonian a chance and he made his way into the first team, although not until after Celtic had already won the league. He scored the winning goal in the Scottish Cup final against Dunfermline Athletic on 26 May 2007, his first senior goal in club football.
In July 2007, after his contract with Rennes expired, it was reported that Perrier-Doumbé was in talks with Sheffield United on the recommendation of Celtic manager Gordon Strachan after he had refused to pay a fee for Perrier-Doumbé. Celtic were expected to sign him on a three-year deal but, due to a clause in the loan contract, the club would have had to pay £400,000; any other club was available to sign him for free.
Permanent deal with Celtic
On 11 August 2007, Perrier-Doumbé signed for Celtic until the end of the season. Perrier-Doumbé tore his Achilles tendon during a Champions League match against Milan on 3 October and was sidelined for nearly six months. He made his comeback for the Celtic reserve team against Gretna on 24 March 2008. Whilst out injured, the club honoured him with a year's extension on his contract, tying him up until the end of the 2008–09 season.
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Continental||Other||Total|
|AJ Auxerre||2000–01||Division 1||10||0||1||0||-||11||0|
|Celtic||2006–07||Scottish Premier League||4||0||1||1||0||0||0||0||-||5||1|
- "Defender on trial". rivals.net. 16 January 2007.
- "Celtic sign up Cameroon defender". BBC Sport. 25 January 2007.
- Doumbe injury setback for Celtic, BBC, 5 October 2007
- Easter bonus for winning reserves, Celtic FC, retrieved 25 March 2008.
- Perrier-Doumbé on way back to boost ailing Celtic, Guardian, retrieved 3 April 2008.
- Doumbe pens Toulouse deal, Skysports.com, retrieved 9 October 2009
- "Jean-Joël Perrier-Doumbé". National Football Teams. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- Jean-Joël Perrier-Doumbé career statistics at Soccerbase
- Jean-Joël Perrier-Doumbé's profile, stats & pics