5 December 1942|
Paris (16th arrondissement)
|Occupation||Grand Chancellor and Minister (SMOM)|
|Known for||Order of Malta|
H.E. Bailiff Jean-Pierre Mazery (born 5 December 1942 in Paris) is a French economist and was the Grand Chancellor (and Foreign Minister) of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM), a post he has held from 2005 - 2014.
Mazery studied at the University of Paris and Harvard Business School before becoming an economist. Mazery has been a Knight of Malta since 1975, as Knight of Magistral Grace. On 16 April 2005, he was elected Grand Chancellor of the Order, following the resignation of H.E. Bailiff Count Jacques de Liedekerke and was re-elected to this office in 2009.
He first served under Prince and Grand Master Andrew Bertie and, since 2008, under Prince and Grand Master Matthew Festing at the Palazzo Malta in Rome. In recognition of his high office in the Order, he was promoted Bailiff Grand Cross of Honour and Devotion in Obedience. 0n 30 May 2014 Mazery has not been re-elected as Grand Chancellor; in his place was elected S.E. Albrecht Freiherr von Boeselager, while in place of the Grand Commander d'Ippolito was elected SE Fra 'Ludwig Hoffmann von Rumerstein, thus reconfirming the traditional attribution of these positions to members of the nobility, the custom is not always respected.
They have two sons and a daughter.
Honours and awards
- SMOM: Bailiff Grand Cross of Honour and Devotion in Obedience of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta
- SMOM: Grand Cross of the Order pro merito Melitensi
- France: Officer of the Legion of Honour (31 December 2009)
- France: Officer of the Order of Arts and Letters
- France: Knight of the National Order of Merit
- Monaco : Grand Officer of the Order of Saint-Charles (14 October 2009)
- Italy: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- Holy See: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Pius IX
- House of Romanov: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St. Anna
- http://www.orderofmalta.int/the-order-and-its-institutions/358/the-grand-chancellor-and-minister-of-foreign-affairs/?lang=en (official site of the Order): the Grand Chancellor
- http://www.un.int/orderofmalta/photos_GC2008.html (official site of the United Nations): Visit of H.E. Mr. Jean-Pierre Mazery, the Grand Chancellor and Foreign Minister of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, New York, 5 June 2008
- http://www.orderofmalta.int/news/41070/the-order-of-malta-chapter-general-2/?lang=en Chapter General of 2009.
- Heirs of Europe webpage
- http://www.legiondhonneur.fr/shared/fr/promo/lh/jo100101lh.html, § 5 : décret du 31 décembre 2009 portant promotion et nomination (NOR : PREX0928983D) : ministère des affaire étrangères et européennes : Protocole : « M. Mazery (Jean-Pierre, Marie-Louis), économiste, président de la fondation française de l’ordre de Malte. Chevalier du 15 avril 1998. »
- Nomination by Sovereign Ordonnance n°2406 of 14 October 2009 (French)
|Catholic Church titles|
Count Jacques de Liedekerke
|Grand Chancellor of Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM)
2005 – 2014
Albrecht Freiherr von Boeselager