A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Jean-Yves Thériault|
|Also known as||Blacky|
December 15, 1962|
|Genres||Heavy metal, progressive metal, thrash metal, speed metal|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, Producer|
|Labels||Coeur Atomique, Century Media, Metal Blade, Noise, MCA, X-voto Records|
|Associated acts||Coeur Atomique, Voivod, The Holy Body Tattoo Dance Society|
Jean-Yves Thériault (Blacky) is the former bassist for Canadian thrash/progressive metal band Voivod. He co-founded the band and appeared on the first six albums – War and Pain, Rrröööaaarrr, Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, Nothingface, and Angel Rat. He departed the group in 1991 for personal reasons, and went on to co-found The Holy Body Tattoo Dance Society from 1992 to 1999. He composed, produced and engineered the scores for "White Riot", "L'Orage", "Poetry & Apocalypse", and "Our Brief Eternity".
In 1997 he released The Electronic Voice Phenomena CD with Mark Spybey and established the X-voto Recording label.
Thériault made a guest appearance in Brain Scan, a Voivod cover on the latest Martyr album Feeding the Abscess and performed it live at the release concert at the Montreal Medley in 2006. Thériault co-produced the Negativa self-titled three-song EP with Pierre Rémillard at Wild Studio in St-Zenon, Quebec.
Thériault returned to Voivod in 2008, after releasing a statement on August 26, 2008 regarding his involvement with the band.
Thériault continues to create electroacoustic music. His collaboration Hiatus, created with Australian artist Matt Warren, was presented in conjunction with the photographic work of artists Lena Stuart and Sally Rees at the Richmond, Virginia, InLight Festival on September 5, 2008 .
Thériault composed, produced, recorded and edited the Voivod's 2013 album Target Earth. On July 10, 2014, it was announced that he was forced out of the band, for months he requested meetings regarding the band business and artistic affairs, but was denied such talks by the other members.
Thériault is currently working with Monica Emond on a new artistic project called Coeur Atomique. The duo have since released two songs and video entitled, "Castle Bravo" "The Waste". Coeur Atomique first album was officially release on July 10, 2017.
Camera Obscura: lights on Voïvod a forthcoming book (2019) revisiting Blacky’s years with the band. The author, Monica Emond, collaborating with Thériault on the musical project Cœur Atomique, bases her critical bio-essay on at-length interviews and exclusive material.
- Liberatore guitar 1989, 5 strings E-A-D-G-B, dbl J-EMG :: self-custom design
- Liberatore guitar 1987, 4 strings, dbl P-EMG :: self-custom design
- Liberatore guitar 1986, 4 strings Kahler tremolo, dbl P-Dimarzio :: self-custom design
- Fender Precision Bass 1972, 4 strings original (no mod)
2008 to present
- Landscape of Emergency I 2017 (Coeur Atomique)
Online Free Release:
- Castle Bravo 2015 (Coeur Atomique)
- The Waste 2015 (Coeur Atomique)
- War & Pain 1984 (Metal Blade Records)
- Rrröööaaarrr 1986 (Noise Records)
- Killing Technology 1987 (Noise Records)
- Dimension Hatröss 1988 (Noise Records)
- Nothingface 1989 (Mechanic / MCA Records)
- Angel Rat 1991 (Mechanic / MCA Records)
- Target Earth 2013 (Century Media Records)
Jean-Yves Thériault albums:
- "VOIVOD Parts Ways With Bassist JEAN-YVES 'BLACKY' THERIAULT". Blabbermouth.net. 10 July 2014. Retrieved 10 July 2014.